Round 3 Pick 69: Cooper Kupp, WR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed. I wrote it off as someone who just has a personal hatred for him.

Look at this quote, it's what I was eluding too earlier about age... any truth? How old were some of the greats when they got drafted?

"Kupp is already older than Allen Robinson and Brandin Cooks. The track record of WRs entering the league at age 23 or older is horrific."

This guy wasn't too bad:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HarrMa00.htm

Is there an element of truth to it? I'm sure, but it's not for the reasons he'll claim. It's one of those things where people use data to try and claim it shows something that it doesn't. I'm sure the track record for WRs who entered the NFL at 23 and older is worse. It's pretty easy to understand why. Guys who enter the NFL at that age generally stayed for all five years of college or didn't make the NFL out of college.

It's no surprise they're going to fare worse on average than WRs who declared early (because WRs who declare early generally are more highly regarded).

That all said, when they try to use it to act as if entering the league at an advanced age was the reason for failure, they're mistaking correlation for causation. It shows a lack of understanding of the context surrounding the data.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Going too far with the Dez Bryant/Jordy Nelson had a baby reference is probably what really got you in trouble.

Never said he would get to their production, just that the way he plays the game and his skillsets are like those two.

Honestly, I could give a shit if I went too far on Rotoworld, LOL. It's fantasy.

EasyE

Starter
This guy wasn't too bad:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HarrMa00.htm

Is there an element of truth to it? I'm sure, but it's not for the reasons he'll claim. It's one of those things where people use data to try and claim it shows something that it doesn't. I'm sure the track record for WRs who entered the NFL at 23 and older is worse. It's pretty easy to understand why. Guys who enter the NFL at that age generally stayed for all five years of college or didn't make the NFL out of college.

It's no surprise they're going to fare worse on average than WRs who declared early (because WRs who declare early generally are more highly regarded).

That all said, when they try to use it to act as if entering the league at an advanced age was the reason for failure, they're mistaking correlation for causation. It shows a lack of understanding of the context surrounding the data.

this is a GREAT post...(mistaking correlation for causation) this mistake is made in life in many ways... thanks for posting this

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Draft Profile of a similar player:

"POSITIVES: Intriguing combination of size, hands and overall athleticism for the position. ... Developed into an All-American wideout after signing with Kansas State as a safety. ... Good initial quickness off the snap to get into his route. ... Sneaky deep speed made more effective by good route-running. ... Best attribute might be his hands and toughness. ... Can adjust to the poorly thrown ball and pluck it out of the air or off his shoe laces. ... Knows when to make the body catch when defenders are near. ... Good body control to get his feet down in bounds and knows where the first down marker is. ... Enjoyed strong games against quality cornerbacks (Dwight Lowery, Terrence Wheatley, Aqib Talib). ... Enjoyed a monster senior campaign -- but was very effective as a sophomore and junior (pre-injury) as well. ... Faster on the field than his timed 40-yard dash would indicate.

Negatives:A better athlete than given credit for, but isn't the elite athlete his senior production may have you believe. ... Good route-runner, but lacks explosiveness out of his breaks and elite deep ball speed. ... Primary target in this offense, receiving more than twice as many passes his way than any other Wildcat receiver. ... Big play artist for KSU, but may lack the acceleration to be anything more than a possession receiver at the next level."

Sounds a lot like Kupp. Wonder who it could be???

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member

"POSITIVES: Intriguing combination of size, hands and overall athleticism for the position. ... Developed into an All-American wideout after signing with Kansas State as a safety. ... Good initial quickness off the snap to get into his route. ... Sneaky deep speed made more effective by good route-running. ... Best attribute might be his hands and toughness. ... Can adjust to the poorly thrown ball and pluck it out of the air or off his shoe laces. ... Knows when to make the body catch when defenders are near. ... Good body control to get his feet down in bounds and knows where the first down marker is. ... Enjoyed strong games against quality cornerbacks (Dwight Lowery, Terrence Wheatley, Aqib Talib). ... Enjoyed a monster senior campaign -- but was very effective as a sophomore and junior (pre-injury) as well. ... Faster on the field than his timed 40-yard dash would indicate.

Negatives:A better athlete than given credit for, but isn't the elite athlete his senior production may have you believe. ... Good route-runner, but lacks explosiveness out of his breaks and elite deep ball speed. ... Primary target in this offense, receiving more than twice as many passes his way than any other Wildcat receiver. ... Big play artist for KSU, but may lack the acceleration to be anything more than a possession receiver at the next level."

Oh I know a very good WR in the NFL from KSU who got drafted when he was 23 and that little bio sounds very familiar :D

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Honestly, Kupp isn't Jordy. Jordy is a bigger and faster WR. Kupp is quicker. I think Keenan Allen is his realistic comparison. Both are thinnish but extraordinarily quick, savvy, polished, and reliable.(well, except for Allen's durability) I also saw a T.J. Houshmandzadeh comparison, which isn't a bad comparison (although, Kupp is way ahead of where T.J. was entering the NFL).

If you were to ask me what his realistic ceiling is, I'd say Cris Carter.(I can't say Jerry Rice; he's arguably the GOAT NFL player)

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Honestly, Kupp isn't Jordy. Jordy is a bigger and faster WR. Kupp is quicker. I think Keenan Allen is his realistic comparison. Both are thinnish but extraordinarily quick, savvy, polished, and reliable.(well, except for Allen's durability) I also saw a T.J. Houshmandzadeh comparison, which isn't a bad comparison (although, Kupp is way ahead of where T.J. was entering the NFL).

If you were to ask me what his realistic ceiling is, I'd say Cris Carter.(I can't say Jerry Rice; he's arguably the GOAT NFL player)

I like the Keenan Allen comp... I have also heard Fitzgerald too lol.

I think he could have better stats than Cris Carter. I think Kupp could get up to 1300 yards a season consistently.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe

Jrry,

Imagine if we go get the #1 WR in next years draft to go a long with Kupp, Reynolds, Woods.

Woah Nelly!! Talk about turning the offense around!

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jrry,

Imagine if we go get the #1 WR in next years draft to go a long with Kupp, Reynolds, Woods.

I hope we don't because we don't need one.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jrry,

Also means we have losing season to be able to get thee best wr in the draft

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kupp will turn 24 in June while Goff will be only 22
Age is just a number

KOWALSKI

Rookie
the only thing that really annoys me with him,
it's how everybody is pronouncing his name false.

it's kupp with an U like in university and not an U like in cup.

jjab360

Legend
the only thing that really annoys me with him,
it's how everybody is pronouncing his name false.

it's kupp with an U like in university and not an U like in cup.
So his name is pronounced Cooper Coop? I doubt his parents are that sadistic

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I don't feel it's about one guy, but a plan, and I think we nailed that plan. I just have to hope they work out. Now, I am happy at the way we attacked it all. We attacked it like we hated every receiver on this roster. I'm fine with that.

I think you just said something very profound there, DR RAM.

It hit me like a thunderclap.

Everett and Higbee at TE.

Woods, Kupp, and Reynolds at WR. Who knows, maybe Tavon can get into the act, too?

There was a plan at work there. There's gonna be a synergy to these various receivers in combination with Goff.

I truly believe that each of the newbies was seen by McVay as a big piece of the new O puzzle. Each was hand picked not so much merely for their considerable personal talent, but as a new part of an O that will be greater than the sum of it's parts.

Good catch, man!