Rotoworld up to their old tricks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Look at their headline today.

Fantasy Football Breaking News
Jake Long: Rams to release Jake Long or ask for pay cut

Long is almost certainly going to be cut. The Rams have already said Greg Robinson will be the left tackle in 2015. Long has never played any other position in the NFL. He also has one of the lengthiest injury histories in the league. St. Louis is already projected to be over the salary cap. It can clear $8 million by releasing Long. C Scott Wells should also be an easy cut for GM Les Snead. Jan. 18 - 12:03 pm et

Source:ESPN.com

--------------------

Which they got from a Wagoner chat, wherein he said:

@nwagoner: There are some obvious moves they can -- and likely -- will make to free up cap space. Offensive tackle Jake Long, center Scott Wells, Bradford and defensive tackle Kendall Langford are among those who can or will be cut or brought back on cheaper contracts to free up money. I don't expect the Rams to be major players in free agency, but I do think they're better positioned to add a more costly piece or two.

----------------------

I mean, yeah. Of course they could and might cut him or restructure. But when I'm searching Google for Rams' news, I don't need a headline that makes it seem like something is already in progress.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Long has never played any other position in the NFL. He also has one of the lengthiest injury histories in the league.

All of the above is true however Long entered college at U O Michigan in 2003 as a OT. As the team prepared for 2006 spring practice, Long was moved from right tackle to left tackle. Up till that moment in time Long did play Right OT. Long was also a Full Back in High school.

IMO IF Jake Long has the mental desire to continue to play a few more years in the NFL & his right knee is sturdy enough for NFL action, he could play OLG or ORT without any slightest issues. There is nothing wrong with his football mind.

The real issue after those two above problems are answered is @ what kind of cap cost hit & damage would take place? Right now if they release Jake they get an increase in their cap spending of about 8.5 million. That's a very large sizable chunk of $$$$ to desire in your wallet.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
All of the above is true however Long entered college at U O Michigan in 2003 as a OT. As the team prepared for 2006 spring practice, Long was moved from right tackle to left tackle. Up till that moment in time Long did play Right OT. Long was also a Full Back in High school.

IMO IF Jake Long has the mental desire to continue to play a few more years in the NFL & his right knee is sturdy enough for NFL action, he could play OLG or ORT without any slightest issues. There is nothing wrong with his football mind.

The real issue after those two above problems are answered is @ what kind of cap cost hit & damage would take place? Right now if they release Jake they get an increase in their cap spending of about 8.5 million. That's a very large sizable chunk of $$$$ to desire in your wallet.
I agree with his desire to move spots is key along with the cap hit/savings.
He must have been a hell of a high school FB.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
They aren't wrong. Unless he gets a drastic paycut, he's gone. But I agree that the title is extremely misleading, it's just projection, not what's actually happening right now.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I agree with his desire to move spots is key along with the cap hit/savings.
He must have been a hell of a high school FB.

Not sure how tall he was in HS but some of us big tall guys keep climbing up the height chart into the early 20's. Long is not an natural 315 pound OT. He is more natural for him to be at 330 plus. I do not know of any bone structure injuries to either knees most all being Ligament tears. So his load bearing bone cartilage areas of his knees would seem to be in good shape for a soon to be 30 yr old NFL OL'er, but all I am going off of is his long lists of injuries/surgeries so I really have no confirmation on my statement. if Boone can be a outstanding 6-8 300 pound OG for the 9ers Long could be the same 6-7 325 pound OLG if he wants too.

But he would have to take a good size pay cut.

fearsomefour

Legend
Not sure how tall he was in HS but some of us big tall guys keep climbing up the height chart into the early 20's. Long is not an natural 315 pound OT. He is more natural for him to be at 330 plus. I do not know of any bone structure injuries to either knees most all being Ligament tears. So his load bearing bone cartilage areas of his knees would seem to be in good shape for a soon to be 30 yr old NFL OL'er, but all I am going off of is his long lists of injuries/surgeries so I really have no confirmation on my statement. if Boone can be a outstanding 6-8 300 pound OG for the 9ers Long could be the same 6-7 325 pound OLG if he wants too.

But he would have to take a good size pay cut.
I think he could do it as well.
As long as he can play withe enrage inside....no real reason he shouldn't be able too.
It all comes down to his desire. It is "worth" the injury risk to move inside for say "only" $3M a year?
Man, I am in the wrong line of work.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
They aren't wrong. Unless he gets a drastic paycut, he's gone. But I agree that the title is extremely misleading, it's just projection, not what's actually happening right now.

They are wrong, who has us projected to be over the salary cap? We are most certainly not over the salary cap.