Roster move in the secondary....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Would seem to me to a bit quick of the trigger to dump a corner @ this time. But I really never felt that Williams would stick anyway so I have no issues with his release guess my thoughts here are base that another corner would of been better to work in now. I just feel that Jordan may have been a better fit from my view under this rock & hard clay.

EJ Gaines has not been seen in full health in well over a year, Joyner who is being used as a Nickle-back has a broken toe, Sensabaugh has been in total fail mode & getting worse & a 1st yr UDFA Troy Hill with only 4 NFL games under his belt & zero starts is now our top reserve? Thinking this present corner cadre is looking good & strong .....not me, far from the eyes of this beholder.... I remain highly skeptical but I left this bar a few hours before closing time :confused: .

As far as adding another strong safety when you have other good safeties on the 53 player roster like McDonald, Alexander, Barron, Davis & Joyner already here seems a bit odd. but reasonable if Mo Alexander is a no go & will need some time to heal. Another positive On the UDFA Isaiah Johnson that can be found & attained from reading the many draft profiles is he has been able to be successful @ playing in the box or in the back end of the DS. That is somewhat rare. Mo Alexander has had some issues in the last two games when assigned to cover deep in the back end, providing zero help to our corners. That thigh injury may have been limiting him in this area so Mo may yet work out playing deep.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I
Would seem to me to a bit quick of the trigger to dump a corner @ this time. But I really never felt that Williams would stick anyway so I have no issues with his release guess my thoughts here are base that another corner would of been better to work in now. I just feel that Jordan may have been a better fit from my view under this rock & hard clay.

EJ Gaines has not been seen in full health in well over a year, Joyner who is being used as a Nickle-back has a broken toe, Sensabaugh has been in total fail mode & getting worse & a 1st yr UDFA Troy Hill with only 4 NFL games under his belt & zero starts is now our top reserve? Thinking this present corner cadre is looking good & strong .....not me, far from the eyes of this beholder.... I remain highly skeptical but I left this bar a few hours before closing time :confused: .

As far as adding another strong safety when you have other good safeties on the 53 player roster like McDonald, Alexander, Barron, Davis & Joyner already here seems a bit odd. but reasonable if Mo Alexander is a no go & will need some time to heal. Another positive On the UDFA Isaiah Johnson that can be found & attained from reading the many draft profiles is he has been able to be successful @ playing in the box or in the back end of the DS. That is somewhat rare. Mo Alexander has had some issues in the last two games when assigned to cover deep in the back end, providing zero help to our corners. That thigh injury may have been limiting him in this area so Mo may yet work out playing deep.

I see it a little differently. I don't think we can consider Barron a safety at this point at most he is a "hybrid". Rams have been pretty steadfast in calling Joyner a Nickelback. Harder than playing outside according to Fisher. They seem to love him there I dont see them moving him in to a full time deeper safety role. There are packages where he does safety like things, but IMO just Williams being creative. It also certainly looks like Joyner is going to play through the broken toe and didn't look too bad doing it last week. Even with Gaines hurt Williams was inactive on game day, so its not like we are loosing a key cog. With Sensabaugh failing Hill was always going to be the key reserve, not sure how much better Williams would be in that role.

Mo is the starting FS in the base defense and moves closer to the line of scrimmage when our backup FS Cody Davis comes in. TJ currently doesn't have a backup and with the number of 3 safety sets the rams play the rams would have no depth if one guy went down.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I
I see it a little differently. I don't think we can consider Barron a safety at this point at most he is a "hybrid". Rams have been pretty steadfast in calling Joyner a Nickelback. Harder than playing outside according to Fisher. They seem to love him there I dont see them moving him in to a full time deeper safety role. There are packages where he does safety like things, but IMO just Williams being creative. It also certainly looks like Joyner is going to play through the broken toe and didn't look too bad doing it last week. Even with Gaines hurt Williams was inactive on game day, so its not like we are loosing a key cog. With Sensabaugh failing Hill was always going to be the key reserve, not sure how much better Williams would be in that role.

Mo is the starting FS in the base defense and moves closer to the line of scrimmage when our backup FS Cody Davis comes in. TJ currently doesn't have a backup and with the number of 3 safety sets the rams play the rams would have no depth if one guy went down.
Yes we do see things differently its all good for A real good conversation too...:yess:

Nowhere else in the NFL would a tall lanky 6-2 211 pound Mark Barron be considered a outside LB'er other than in a Gregg Williams defense....Barron is a true NFL strong safety in my mind who can play the WSLB'er position in this defense. Even the Rams still call officially name him a Safety not a LB'er but I fully under stand where you are coming from;).

You say McDonald has no back up:thinking:....I would say that our starting strong safety TJ McDonald is backed up by #1-Mo Alexander, #2-Mark Barron & now #3-Isaiah Johnson, looks to me that TJ has some serious great back up in my small mind:whistle:. Heck even Nickle back Lamarcus Joyner played strong safety for FSU for two seasons. Throw in that Coty Sensabaugh is more Nickel than outside corner don't be surprised if we don't see Joyner lining up @ SS at times this season.... when as you state Gregg Williams gets creative:).

P.S. It would be interesting to see just where Lamarcus Joyner did line up in the Seattle game. How many different positions did he play? I could swear he played up close, then way to the side & back then back next to Ogletree, then back deep & yes he even played some Nickle..........I am :confused:.