Roster move in the secondary....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Is that injury to Safety Mo Alexander more than we know? We release a corner & insert a Strong Safety?:unsure:

http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/ge...football-nfl-scouting-report-s-isaiah-johnson

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/isaiah-johnson?id=2553291
Strong Safety Isaiah Johnson

Analysis

Strengths
Productive tackler and three-year starter. All-time leader in Georgia Tech history in tackles for a defensive back with 283. When in position, will make square, physical hits to end the play. Comes from high to low quickly and under control. Uses length to close down running lanes toward sidelines. Monitors quarterback's eyes from zone coverage and shows discipline in his coverage. Outstanding work ethic. Great student on and off field with his master's in building and facility management.
Weaknesses
Slow twitch. Lacking athleticism to be consistent factor in space. Can be a step slow to find proper angle for downhill tackle, missing 12 in 2014. Gets preoccupied with receiver and doesn't maintain enough focus on running plays developing. Slow lateral transition, allowing separation for receivers. Feet get too heavy when asked to fire on throws and close the distance.
Draft Projection
Priority free agent
Bottom Line
Played in space and near the line of scrimmage, but he's best suited in a role that limits what is asked of him from a coverage standpoint. His intelligence, work ethic and play demeanor will all work in his favor, but his lack of functional speed and athleticism will not.

http://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2016-nfl-draft-scouting-notes-isaiah-johnson-safety-south-carolina/
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119987&draftyear=2016&genpos=SS

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2066974/isaiah-johnson

Last edited:

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Okay all you guys who know more about this stuff than I do, time to chime in.

What is your take? Was Williams on the 53?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Johnson is the 4th Safety, he's not a CB.

Verdict
Isaiah Johnson is a good safety. He's a guy that will bring a high floor and at the very least be completely solid. The only real question with him is if he will be able to take it to the next level at the NFL. He should defintiely provide a team with solid depth, though, and if given a chance, could be a solid contributor at the next level. He will just have to put in the effort needed to show teams that he is willing to work for it.

Projected Round: 7th-UDFA

http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/ge...football-nfl-scouting-report-s-isaiah-johnson

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Okay all you guys who know more about this stuff than I do, time to chime in.

What is your take? Was Williams on the 53?
Good question, I didn't think so! So IF I'm correct, who got cut to make room on the 53 man Roster for Johnson!?!:confused:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Rams make a minor move today, waiving veteran cornerback Steve Williams (formerly of the San Diego Chargers) and promoting DB (mostly safety) Isaiah Johnson from the practice squad.

Johnson, a second year player out of Georgia Tech, spent time on the Detroit Lions practice squad for the 2015 season. Hard to speculate but it is possible that E.J. Gaines is nearing a return, prompting a bigger need for a safety over a cornerback. Or, Johnson may be a better Special Teams player.

Turf Show Times

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Good question, I didn't think so! So IF I'm correct, who got cut to make room on the 53 man Roster for Johnson!?!:confused:

LB Nicholas Grigsby was released when the Rams added Williams and then the Rams added Grigsby to the practice squad after the Rams released LB Brandon Chubb.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Special teams guy from Georgia Tech...I saw a little of him last year...I could have sworn he came out in the 2015 draft...

@BonifayRam you had me looking at that S. Carolina guy...LOLOLOLOL!! If Cody Davis doesn't take the next TE's head off after they catch a pass over the middle....I was so pissed he went so low on Jimmy Graham...Like I always say, nothing motivates like competition...and the bench.

http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/20...tech-pro-day-2015-everything-you-need-to-know
Isaiah Johnson:
Isaiah Johnson was considered one of Tech's best prospects for the NFL a couple of years ago before his injury and medical redshirt. He had a solid senior season to get back in that picture as a prototypical SS in the NFL.

• Like Days, Isaiah Johnson is in really good shape. He's been training in Dallas, and he's definitely gained some size to get ready for the next level.
  • He ran a mid 4.5 in the 40. It's a pretty good time for someone his size and definitely not a time that a scout would complain about for a safety.
  • Johnson was extremely impressive in DB drills. He was out there alone for much of the time and had a very extended workout with most scouts watching and two Eagles scouts coordinating it and watching very closely. They had multiple one-on-one talks with him and tested him out on a number of drills. It was the most any one scout talked to a specific Tech player all day. He stated that they wanted to get an idea of his knowledge at DB and they thought he did really well.
  • Draft Stock: I'm leaning towards thinking Johnson gets drafted somewhere between rounds five and seven. He has everything you want in a strong safety, and he had a very strong career at Tech. While nothing in his game exactly pops out to you as extraordinary, he's a guy that could be a nice fit just about anywhere as a defensive back who can do just about anything. Don't be surprised to see the Eagles take him in the sixth round.
@VilleDeal

I'm assuming...and I shouldn't but I will, I am assuming you're replying to me...so I'll add, a FS job is to make the tackle...correct...But any chance you have to enforce your will on the opponent should be taken...A nice blowup hit to the chest..Try to separate the man from the ball...The game was still in doubt...Jimmy Graham is known for being soft...Just my opinion, and I'm sticking to it....

Last edited:

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Is that injury to Safety Mo Alexander more than we know? We release a corner & insert a Strong Safety?:unsure:

Or it could be a good thing with Gaines being healthy enough to play no need to carry 6 corners. However there is certainly a need to carry 4 safeties since we play with a 3 safety package a fair amount, but we have no depth there.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
LB Nicholas Grigsby was released when the Rams added Williams and then the Rams added Grigsby to the practice squad after the Rams released LB Brandon Chubb.

When did this happen? I knew Grigsby got cut. Didn't know he was moved to the practice squad

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
When did this happen? I knew Grigsby got cut. Didn't know he was moved to the practice squad

Grigsby to Practice squad, cut LB Brandon Chubb

Joe Curley‏@vcsjoecurley
"Moving pieces" Rams have been shuffling all week continue on game day. LB Nic Grigsby signed to practice squad. Replaces LB Brandon Chubb.

The Los Angeles Rams recently cut Nic Grigsby to sign Steve Williams to the active 53-man roster. Now he will be coming back as practice squad player and Brandon Chubb will be cut according to Ventura County Star reporter Joe Curley's tweet.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Grigsby to Practice squad, cut LB Brandon Chubb

Joe Curley‏@vcsjoecurley
"Moving pieces" Rams have been shuffling all week continue on game day. LB Nic Grigsby signed to practice squad. Replaces LB Brandon Chubb.

The Los Angeles Rams recently cut Nic Grigsby to sign Steve Williams to the active 53-man roster. Now he will be coming back as practice squad player and Brandon Chubb will be cut according to Ventura County Star reporter Joe Curley's tweet.

Guess the Ram's site has been slow to update.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Or it could be a good thing with Gaines being healthy enough to play no need to carry 6 corners. However there is certainly a need to carry 4 safeties since we play with a 3 safety package a fair amount, but we have no depth there.

Exactly. The move is about Gaines returning, and probably the play of Hill as well. With Gaines healthy this CB group suddenly looks really nice. Sensabaugh is really good actually as a FIFTH corner.

It was time to boost that safety room now that they feel comfortable outside. Nice move IMO, makes this defense better in its depth.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly. The move is about Gaines returning, and probably the play of Hill as well. With Gaines healthy this CB group suddenly looks really nice. Sensabaugh is really good actually as a FIFTH corner.

It was time to boost that safety room now that they feel comfortable outside. Nice move IMO, makes this defense better in its depth.

Yes. I only want to see him on the field when the offense plays 5 wrs. Even then I'd rather see 3 safeties and the other 4 corners.