Roster Cuts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
JdashSTL said:
X said:
libertadrocks said:
IMO if we, or any team(sans Texans), lose the top 2 QBs on the depth chart chance are it'll be a rough remander of the season. There are FA QBs with more talent than Clemons. Difference is they dont know the offense.

Me, Id rather only keep 2 QBs, use that extra roster spot on someone else, and take the chance the offense would have to be dumbed down if both guys went down.
Yeah, I thought of that too. Once you lose two guys, your season is pretty much in the crapper anyway. But the difference is, like you said, Clemens knows this offense. Things wouldn't have to be dumbed down in that instance. And for a team that needs all the experience it can get, this just kinda strikes me as odd is all. But again -- it's not my team and I don't have all the facts. This is just your routine fan's observance.

Isnt this debate very similar to the one we had last year between Feeley and Thad Lewis? 2 years in a row we had a rookie QB not look terrible in preseason and this time we decided to keep one on the roster. If Sam gets hurt were pretty much screwed either way, but the best case scenario here is Davis maybe showing some potential and then we can listen to offers from QB needy teams (Eagles enjoy doing this).
lol. Yeah. I didn't participate in the "Save Thaddeus Lewis" campaign though. Besides, what little angst I was feeling about Clemens being released is dissipating now. Bradford's gonna play all 16 games and make the pro-bowl, so it's all good.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Wow I take a day off and go fishing and come back to a whole new Rams team.

Salas surprises me some. On first glance dumping Gibson over him seemed like a no brainer just for the fact Salas is so good on SP teams.
They tried Salas outside in camp and OTA's. Maybe they didn't like what they saw of him there. With Amendola possibly signing long term and Givens future in the slot. just might not have been any room long term. Me? I would have kept him.

Murphy, I don't know. He really wasn't much at coverage. I'm not sure he was even going to make the team last year before he and everyone else got hurt and with a new staff this year, yadda. He should have been the one moved to FS his first year. Had the range and he likes to hit. Now I feel thin at CB.

But did like the DT we picked up.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
JdashSTL said:
X said:
libertadrocks said:
IMO if we, or any team(sans Texans), lose the top 2 QBs on the depth chart chance are it'll be a rough remander of the season. There are FA QBs with more talent than Clemons. Difference is they dont know the offense.

Me, Id rather only keep 2 QBs, use that extra roster spot on someone else, and take the chance the offense would have to be dumbed down if both guys went down.
Yeah, I thought of that too. Once you lose two guys, your season is pretty much in the crapper anyway. But the difference is, like you said, Clemens knows this offense. Things wouldn't have to be dumbed down in that instance. And for a team that needs all the experience it can get, this just kinda strikes me as odd is all. But again -- it's not my team and I don't have all the facts. This is just your routine fan's observance.

Isnt this debate very similar to the one we had last year between Feeley and Thad Lewis? 2 years in a row we had a rookie QB not look terrible in preseason and this time we decided to keep one on the roster. If Sam gets hurt were pretty much screwed either way, but the best case scenario here is Davis maybe showing some potential and then we can listen to offers from QB needy teams (Eagles enjoy doing this).
Actually, Lewis wasn't a rookie. He spent all of 2010 on the PS, or was it on the roster inactive? I think he got picked up because (a) Shurmur was familiar with him and (b) he spent a year on an NFL roster.

What it sounds like happened to Salas is that he bulked up too much and lost some of his quickness because of it. What I saw of him looked like he could still play but hadn't fully adapted to being bigger.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
What I don't get is why now? A week before the season and they release/trade guys that have been through mini and training camps.

W/ Salas, I understand. My emotion took over b/c he went to the fuckin Patriots and they have a history of makin guys into stars. Anyway, I understood it since we were short on DTs and a jam @ WR. The dude from the Bills should be an alrite stop gap. Conrath's injury isn't serioius otherwise we would've heard about it by now.

But Murphy? For a 5th CB he wasn't a bad option. Finnegan, Jenkins, Fletcher, Johnson, Pointer. 3 rook. I really, really hope they stay healthy.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Angry Ram said:
What I don't get is why now? A week before the season and they release/trade guys that have been through mini and training camps.

W/ Salas, I understand. My emotion took over b/c he went to the fuckin Patriots and they have a history of makin guys into stars. Anyway, I understood it since we were short on DTs and a jam @ WR. The dude from the Bills should be an alrite stop gap. Conrath's injury isn't serioius otherwise we would've heard about it by now.

But Murphy? For a 5th CB he wasn't a bad option. Finnegan, Jenkins, Fletcher, Johnson, Pointer. 3 rook. I really, really hope they stay healthy.

Fishers's history suggests he prefers to carry extra safeties at the expense of the corners.
2010: 4 CBs
2009: 5 CBs
2008: 5 CBs

I dont have a problem with 3 of the CBs being rookies. They will only get better with experience. While there maybe some growing pains we will be stacked at CB in future years. That experience will be invaluable.

Now I woulda kept Murphy over Daniels, but... I guess its a moot point now.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Looking at the Rams players twitter feed that X posted, looks like Murphy is being reunited with Spags in New Orleans.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Howard Balzer ‏@HBalzer721
More surprises by Rams: Release TE Michael Hoomanawanui and G Quinn Ojinnaka. Claim T Ty Nsekhe and G Shelley Smith from Colts and Texans.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Does this mean Turner will start week 1 at one of the guard positions?

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lesson said:
Does this mean Turner will start week 1 at one of the guard positions?

I think its gonna be Watkins at LG now.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ojinnaka doesn't surprise me. Hoomanawanui does a little, but he's been so injury prone that it was always in the back of my mind.

bluecoconuts

Legend
They released Big Mike? I would have thought they'd at least give him a chance to show he was healthy, he looked good.

I guess you gotta get used to turnover with the new regime, but it's still a bummer seeing guys I liked and had hope for getting released.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Hull, Bradford, Saffold, and Sims are the only draft picks remaining from 2010.

Lesson

Oh, really?
This reminds me of 2009 but to a lesser extent, if that makes any sense. I remember in 2009 the roster was pretty much gutted top to bottom.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Wow. These two cut surprise me.

I thought Ojinnaka was the worst OG of the 4 we had, but the coaching staff appeared to really like him. Leaving him as the "starter" for the whole preseason.

The Hoomanawanui cut really surprises me. He showed nothing in the preseason, but I didnt think he was behind McNeil and Mulligan on the depth chart.

Anyone know anything about the two guys we picked up? Texans have a solid Oline, was he just caught up in the numbers?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
libertadrocks said:
Angry Ram said:

Fishers's history suggests he prefers to carry extra safeties at the expense of the corners.
2010: 4 CBs
2009: 5 CBs
2008: 5 CBs

I dont have a problem with 3 of the CBs being rookies. They will only get better with experience. While there maybe some growing pains we will be stacked at CB in future years. That experience will be invaluable.

Now I woulda kept Murphy over Daniels, but... I guess its a moot point now.

Hopefully Fletcher won't get cut now.

But again, w/ no Ojinaka and Big Mike..why now? I'm not liking this, the timing is really bad.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
libertadrocks said:
Wow. These two cut surprise me.

I thought Ojinnaka was the worst OG of the 4 we had, but the coaching staff appeared to really like him. Leaving him as the "starter" for the whole preseason.

The Hoomanawanui cut really surprises me. He showed nothing in the preseason, but I didnt think he was behind McNeil and Mulligan on the depth chart.

Anyone know anything about the two guys we picked up? Texans have a solid Oline, was he just caught up in the numbers?

I'm not sure about Shelley Smith. Both guard slots were open in Houston, and he couldn't take one of them. He's good depth, though.

Nsekhe is an Arena Football League offensive lineman. Twenty-six years old. 6'8", 325 lbs. Played his football at Texas State. Very strong, very athletic, major nasty streak, but he's extremely raw when it comes to technique. Reminds me of Tyson Clabo at first glance. I like what we're doing with our offensive line.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Gotta at least like this from AS:
Four teams - St. Louis, Washington, Seattle, Tennessee - put in waiver claims for former Texans G Shelley Smith, who was awarded to Rams.

If my memory serves me right, there was no other player that garnered more than 2 claims from teams on the waiver wire. Smith got 4

tbux

Rookie
I like the Smith pickup- Bou probably pushed for it. So far only Salas is one I didnt like. this is a process- no need to panic