Ross Tucker's red flags with Myles Garrett

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/11/ross-tucker-sees-red-flags-with-myles-garrett/

Myles Garrett won’t be submitting to an interview with Ross Tucker, either.

Tucker, the former NFL player turned multi-media personality, has concerns about Garrett, based in part on Garrett’s refusal to submit to an interviewwith ESPN’s Booger McFarland due to McFarland’s criticism of Garrett. But Tucker has other concerns, as explained during a Tuesday visit to PFT Live.

Tucker pointed to a comment from Garrett to ESPN The Magazine regarding the presumptive No. 1 overall pick’s intellect.

“I don’t think I’m the smartest player in the draft, but if you consider all the things I think about daily, how many things intrigue me and I try to get to get involved in, I’m up there,” Garrett said.

Who says stuff like that?” Tucker said on Twitter, before elaborating in the clip embedded in this post.

Garrett’s comment tempts me to reconsider the official PFT position on reporting Wonderlic scores, something we stopped doing a few years ago for a variety of reasons — including but not limited to the complete and total irrelevance of the results to whether a guy will be a good football player. With Garrett touting his own intelligence, someone will surely be tracking those numbers down, if only out of curiosity.

If you’re curious to hear what Tucker had to say about Garrett, you don’t have to be the smartest person in the draft to figure out how to turn on the video.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Again sometimes people just look for anything for a weakness I recall when Orlando Pace was the top pick on the board and that was long before the social media circle that now envelops this nation that Pace's weakness was you would not know how he would handle being beaten on pass plays because he was never challenged in college.

Again tough to say you're the smartest player in the the draft, if Garrett had said "I'm the smartest player on the field." Anyway I believe Tucker is stretching and sometimes if you truly have nothing to write or say, how about you write or say something good or suggest the player just word it differently.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Ross Tucker has turned into the "smartest" person in talent evaluation in the world. He's always seeing something no one else does. I don't know about Myles Garrett. I know he looks damn impressive. I could care less who he doesn't want to do interviews with, or if he believes he is the brightest bulb in the box. With all these DE's/OLB's in this draft, I'd trade back...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
The only question with Garrett I see is the lack of production vs better teams. Most of his sacks came against teams he should dominate and little came against the good teams of the SEC. He's a physical freak who should be good but that question lingers with me.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Ross Tucker has turned into the "smartest" person in talent evaluation in the world. He's always seeing something no one else does. I don't know about Myles Garrett. I know he looks damn impressive. I could care less who he doesn't want to do interviews with, or if he believes he is the brightest bulb in the box. With all these DE's/OLB's in this draft, I'd trade back...

The only question with Garrett I see is the lack of production vs better teams. Most of his sacks came against teams he should dominate and little came against the good teams of the SEC. He's a physical freak who should be good but that question lingers with me.
I don't think there is any question. Garret will be picked 1st in the Draft! The Question is, Who goes 2nd and 3rd!? Will the 49ers go QB!? God knows they need one!!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think there is any question. Garret will be picked 1st in the Draft! The Question is, Who goes 2nd and 3rd!? Will the 49ers go QB!? God knows they need one!!
Not doubting he gets picked 1st. I'm doubting whether he lives up to that draft slot or not.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Not doubting he gets picked 1st. I'm doubting whether he lives up to that draft slot or not.
Possibly not! I wish I knew the % of #1 over-all picks that "Didn't live up to their Hype!!"(y);):D

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Possibly not! I wish I knew the % of #1 over-all picks that "Didn't live up to their Hype!!"(y);):D
They didn't narrow it down to 1st overall but they talked about top half of the first round so say top 15. And said only 40% of them live up to expectations. First overall was cited on the radio as a bit higher. Most years you can go through the first round and play the 50/50 game. List the first round and half will be good half won't. I am not a huge Garrett fan because he rarely if ever had a good game against the good teams. Most of his production was against the lesser SEC and teams outside of the SEC.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
They didn't narrow it down to 1st overall but they talked about top half of the first round so say top 15. And said only 40% of them live up to expectations. First overall was cited on the radio as a bit higher. Most years you can go through the first round and play the 50/50 game. List the first round and half will be good half won't. I am not a huge Garrett fan because he rarely if ever had a good game against the good teams. Most of his production was against the lesser SEC and teams outside of the SEC.
I was going to take a wild guess, and say the figure would be about 40%! :D I see what you mean about Garrett's production against Better Talent!!(y);)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Looks like he showed up just about every week in 2015 to me:
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/myles-garrett-1/gamelog/2015/

Gotta remember that he played through a sprained ankle in 2016.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
He's obviously is going to show up big against lesser competition. Everyone does and it would be an actual red flag if he didn't.

His production against higher level competition is fine and I've seen worse from high ranking prospects.

I would be comfortable with Myles. He checks the boxes in my opinion.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Screw the flaws that Tucker sees. I'd take Garrett on the Rams in a heartbeat.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/id/19225223/warren-sapp-think-myles-garrett-no-1-pick

Warren Sapp doesn't think Myles Garrett is deserving of No. 1 pick
Adam Schefter/ESPN Senior Writer

i

AP Photo/Eric Christian Smith

As the NFL draft approaches this week, Hall of Fame defensive lineman Warren Sapp is struggling to understand why Texas A&M defensive end Myles Garrett is poised to be the No. 1 pick.

"I don't see it from this kid," Sapp said Sunday about Garrett. "I see the splash plays; everybody gets those. Where's the game he took over? Where? Any defensive lineman who's the No. 1 pick, you turn up and you say, 'There it is!' This kid, no, I don't. I'm a pretty plain and frank guy, and I watch the tape and he disappears. I watch the tape, and he absolutely disappears."

Still, Garrett is considered the favorite to go No. 1 to the Cleveland Browns, who used the No. 1 overall pick in the 2000 draft on Penn State defensive end Courtney Brown.

"I don't think this kid is as good as Courtney Brown either," Sapp said.

Sapp said he believes teams have fallen for Garrett for one reason only.

"It's all about measurable," he said. "Once you hit the measurable, it's tough to get them old scout people off the numbers, and that's what [Garrett] has. He's big, and he's fast. Now some defensive line coach is thinking, 'I can turn him into something.' How? I'm trying to figure this out. Really? Are we lowering the bar?"

Sapp said he has studied a handful of games that Garrett has played on tape, but he said it didn't take him long to realize the type of player that Garrett is.

Now, as Garrett is closing in on becoming the first defensive lineman drafted No. 1 overall since Jadeveon Clowney in 2014, Sapp wonders how important the game is to him.

"I see a lazy kid that makes four plays a game," Sapp said. "This is the No. 1 guy? No, no, no. This ain't even close."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...es-garrett-shouldnt-be-the-no-1-overall-pick/

Posted by Mike Florio on April 23, 2017

So that’s the news: Sapp doesn’t think Garrett should be the No. 1 overall pick. Fine. That’s his prerogative to disagree with the manner in which the wind has been consistently blowing — although some have indeed raised the point that Garrett doesn’t dominate often enough on tape to justify the belief that he’ll dominate at the next level.

Next comes the more intriguing part, from our perspective: How did this story come to be?

Schefter, who primarily tweets and talks, has taken the time to write up an article with strong, opinionated quotes from someone who currently isn’t the in NFL in a coaching, scouting, playing, or media capacity. It’s fair to ask why.

This doesn’t fit with Schefter’s usual role of generating information, mainly transactional, on a neverending basis. (And he does that better than anyone at this point.) It’s a hard right turn for him, and it’s hard not to wonder whether this is Schefter’s way of showcasing an opinion contrary to the “Garrett is No. 1” viewpoint as a favor to someone in the Cleveland front office who is trying to push back against Garrett being Cleveland’s first overall pick.

Consider this portion of the article: “Still, Garrett is considered the favorite to go No. 1 to the Cleveland Browns, who used the No. 1 overall pick in the 2000 draft on Penn State defensive end Courtney Brown. ‘I don’t think this kid is as good as Courtney Brown either,’ Sapp said.” That feels like a stern warning to whoever will be breaking the tie in Cleveland regarding the potential pitfall of using the No. 1 overall pick on Garrett.

The Browns reportedly are still torn on whether to take Garrett, and coach Hue Jackson reportedly wants Garrett.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Florio ever the pessimist haha It's funny that he assumes the money ball people making the decision in Cleveland would care what Schefter or Sapp think about Garrett.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Sapp is looking for a headline. That said, my favorite player at the top of this draft is Soloman Thomas.