Rookies Bobby Brown III, Robert Rochell are kindred spirits on Rams’ defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rookies Bobby Brown III, Robert Rochell are kindred spirits on Rams’ defense​

During the run-up to the NFL draft, defensive lineman Bobby Brown III and cornerback Robert Rochell got to know each other while working out at the same training facility.

The Rams selected both Brown, who played at Texas A&M, and Rochell, from Central Arkansas, in the fourth round.

The rookie teammates have spent the last few weeks working to make an impression on coach Sean McVay and his staff during organized team activity workouts. The Rams finish their offseason program next week with a three-day minicamp.

Brown and Rochell said Friday that their friendship has grown through the process.

“That’s a funny guy, man, a guy that can make you laugh all day,” Rochell said during a videoconference with reporters. “Big character, a guy that loves this game just as much me. ... Just having a guy around that’s similar to me in characteristics is everything, so we enjoy the game together.”

“That’s a great guy,” he said of Rochell. “He’s got his head on right. I can’t wait to see what he’ll be able to do later on in his career because he loves football.”

Brown is trying to find a role on a remade defensive line that includes veterans such as three-time NFL defensive player of the year Aaron Donald, A’Shawn Robinson and Sebastian Joseph-Day, younger players such as Greg Gaines and fellow rookies Earnest Brown IV among others.

Rochell is part of a cornerback group that includes starters Jalen Ramsey and Darious Williams and others such as David Long.

McVay said Brown’s attention to detail during drills has caught his eye. Rochell’s movement and improvement in the last few weeks also has been noteworthy.

“Been pleased with those two young guys and looking forward to seeing them wrap it up the right way next week,” McVay said.

McVay also said that tight end Jacob Harris, a fourth-round pick from Central Florida, has stood out among rookies.

“Just his overall speed and athleticism,” McVay said of the 6-foot-5, 211-pound Harris, “you kind of feel him on the field.”

Next week’s minicamp, which concludes with a workout on Thursday before fans at SoFi Stadium, will be the final opportunity for McVay to observe and evaluate new quarterback Matthew Stafford on the field before the Rams reconvene for training camp in late July at UC Irvine.

During Friday’s workout, which was open to reporters, Stafford continued to show command of the offense.

“Things come to him quickly,” McVay said of the 12-year veteran. “He’s got so many experiences to draw on. ... He’s only going to continue to grow and we’re going to continue to get better.”

Donald, Ramsey, Williams, receiver DeSean Jackson and tight end Tyler Higbee did not attend Friday’s workout, which was voluntary, and McVay reiterated that he had been in communication with players.

Next week’s minicamp is technically mandatory, but McVay hinted a few players might be absent with permission.

“I’ve been extremely pleased with the leadership from our veterans that have really guided an opportunity for us to get a great month of work, in person, and next week will represent the finality of that.”

Etc.
Running back Darrell Henderson, who is recovering from ankle surgery, continues to work with the training staff during workouts but also has participated in some drills. McVay said he expected Henderson would be at full speed by training camp. Outside linebacker Terrell Lewis, who was sidelined part of last season because of a knee issue, attended practice but did not participate. McVay said he did not have an update on Lewis.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Love both these guys and IMO, they are future stars for the Rams. Raheem Morris was behind both these picks and both appear ready to make a rookie impact besides being great assets for the future.

Psycho_X

Legend
Man, I'm trying to not get overly homerish with this draft class but Brown, Rochell, and Harris are making it easy so far. Really think we nailed those picks at least.

Terrell Lewis is deflating news that he can't even participate in OTAs. Hopefully just being overly cautious with him which I'd be fine with for a veteran player but guys that young won't improve without practice. If he's not full go for training camp I'm not sure I see a future for him much longer.

Flint

Pro Bowler
A lot of buzz around Brown, I’m anxious to see what he’s got. He seems to have what you need, power, quickness; so why was he still on the board? Same with Rochelle, but I guess it’s easy to build guys up that you don’t really know.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame

Inside Rams’ scouting of DT Bobby Brown III, from laugh-out-loud domination on tape to long-term fit​

USATSI_16158343-1024x730.jpg

By Jourdan Rodrigue Jun 1, 2021
comment-icon.png
save-icon.png

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. — Rams senior personnel executive Brian Xanders was just a few plays into his study of then-Texas A&M defensive tackle Bobby Brown III’s film when he started chuckling. Brown was, quite literally, everywhere — and he was doing some damage, too.
“He played nose tackle, five-technique and three-technique,” Xanders said. “Literally all three of our defensive line positions, he’s played them all.”
Xanders saw Brown hit a guard so hard that his legs buckled and split out from under him. He saw Brown block a couple of kicks on special teams. And then he got to the offensive cut-ups — yes, you read that right.
“And then they also put him on offense as a goal-line fullback,” laughed Xanders. “So there’s plays of him running right through the defensive line, just crushing them.”

Xanders began work on what is called a “cross check” on Brown in February as a part of the Rams’ typical process. First, Brown had been studied for several months throughout 2020 by area scout Steve Kazor, and then Kazor’s reports on Brown landed on Xanders’ desk. Scouts and personnel people often intersect on their evaluations of prospects so that a variety of opinions and observations about that prospect can come to light, and for the Rams, area scouts are hugely important in setting the first “draft boards” and then providing updates and input as cross-checkers weigh in.
The Rams had not caught a ton of additional buzz on Brown via external boards through the pre-draft process in the spring (such as media draft boards, top-50 or top-100 lists or even in standard press clippings), but because Kazor had done a good deal of work on Brown by the time his report got to Xanders’ desk, Xanders was intrigued by Brown’s measurables and Kazor’s notes on his power within certain plays and alignments. He also had a light afternoon — so he decided to watch all of the defensive tackle’s snaps in one sitting.

“I had a lot of time that day, so I loaded up his entire career — the pass-rush, and then the run defense,” he said. “He was a fun eval.”
Three things stuck out to Xanders about Brown: His frame (6-foot-4, 325 pounds with a seven-foot wingspan), the torque and anchor with which he maneuvered and held his gaps (“they tried to double-team him and they’d just stand on the line of scrimmage, they got no movement,” Xanders said), his toughness off of blocks (“he destroyed whole blocking schemes”) and of course, his versatility.

“Some of the big splash plays were impressive, because he’s going through double-teams and knocking the guard into the backfield, and then the tight end falls down and then he falls into the running back,” Xanders said. “There were just some really powerful plays that stood out. And I’m like, ‘This guy … this guy could be a scheme fit in all three (interior defensive line) positions — in a massive body. He was an interesting eval.”

By the time a team gets to the fourth round of the draft, they know they won’t always find a “complete” player, and so smart teams match specific traits of prospects to those needed within their positional rotations — like a small puzzle piece slotting into a much larger image. After the 2020 college football season was derailed by COVID-19, teams also knew that projecting players’ development into their respective systems would be harder than ever.

Especially starting in the fourth round this draft, the Rams focused on prospects with hyper-athletic traits and measurables, then tried to match those with the player’s frame and their understanding of how his frame will mature, plus data points within either the on-field testing process, their own person-to-person intel, and/or the medical evaluation process that backed up what they saw on tape. The idea was to take care of the things “you can’t coach” (physical gifts), even if they were more raw than the typical prospect in a “normal” year, and then rely on pairing those players with assistants such as (in Brown’s case) defensive line coach Eric Henderson to help turn the prospect into a more “complete” player — or even simply into an important role-player.
In a fourth-round defensive lineman, for example, the Rams of course weren’t looking for a Day 1 starter — but they were looking for long arms/wide shoulders and wingspan, plus moldable power and torque that projects well into their gap-and-a-half defensive scheme. In Brown — similarly to their evaluation of Sebastian Joseph-Day, who they previously drafted in the sixth round — they see a player whose ceiling is as a starter, yet whose floor can still be as a key role-player based on athleticism alone, and whose flashes of versatility were an added bonus in their grading of him.

Bobby Brown III (John Reed / USA Today)
The Rams began their intel process on other teams’ draft boards as the third round drew to a close on Friday night, and cross-referenced them with their own. There was an emphasis on adding more picks beginning on Day 3, multiple sources told The Athletic at the time, but they also knew that if Brown fell to them at No. 117 (obtained via previous trade with San Francisco), he was a prospect for whom they would stay at the pick point and find another place to trade back.
Early Saturday morning, before the final day of the draft began, Rams senior personnel advisor Taylor Morton and his staff called their sources at Texas A&M and elsewhere to double check that there weren’t any red flags on Brown, because despite his tape and strong athletic traits he had still fallen out of the second day of the draft.
“(General manager Les Snead) is the type where he’s going to dot every ‘I’ and cross every ‘T’,” Morton said. “He’s so thorough and demands us to be so thorough. So first thing that morning, I’m calling around to people I know … triple checking our sources and even digging for more sources, and just confirming all of the data that we’ve collected over all these months. And everybody gave their thumbs up on Bobby Brown.”

Xanders and Morton say they don’t know why he made it to them at that pick point (Xanders speculated that some teams may have been leery of his relatively limited experience, with just 18 starts in his collegiate career).
“It’s the same thing, kind of, that happened with (Joseph-Day),” said Morton. “How did we get him in the sixth round? … To get Bobby Brown in the fourth round, people ask ‘why’ because (of his physical traits) and because, when he wants to, he can dominate the line of scrimmage. We’re hoping that he can develop.”
Xanders and Henderson — who were working remotely with Snead in his garage and a small group of staff at the Rams’ draft house in Malibu, Calif. — began texting Snead as their pick drew closer, continuing to pitch Brown.
“We were texting back and forth, I was texting Coach Henny, it was a fun day,” said Xanders. “You just hope for the best — like, ‘If we take him, it’s our job to help him fit in our environment and culture. It’s his job to create his own role.’ Just like every other rookie. Nothing is handed to anybody in this league – it’s a meritocracy, the NFL. Everything is earned, and everything is created by that player creating their own opportunities.”
Brown is just 20 years old — launched into Los Angeles and the world of the NFL before he can even legally crack a beer to celebrate it. Xanders said the Rams’ defensive staff saw a lack of “wear-and-tear” on Brown as a bonus — not just for health reasons, but also because they believe it makes him more malleable as a prospect (in just a year or two, he’ll have taken less practice reps outside of their system than within it).
Having Brown, who will only be turning 24 by the time his second contract comes up, learn about the NFL in a position room with three-time Defensive Player of the Year Aaron Donald was also one of the reasons the staff felt comfortable drafting him despite his young age.

“I think that’s the No. 1 asset for Bobby Brown, and I said it in our meetings,” Morton said. “He’s got all this talent, and then you put him in the room with professional, grown men like Aaron Donald. There’s peer pressure there. Usually, those kind of guys, they’re going to rise to the occasion — to that peer pressure. And (Brown) is an intelligent person. So when he gets in the room with (Donald), he knows that now he’s in a business. He’s not in college anymore — he’s in a business with grown men … it’ll definitely get him going in the right direction.”
Another reason was Henderson, whose voice was prominent in the discussion on Brown and who Brown said stayed in touch with him throughout the pre-draft process.
“With all the hard work and how tough (Henderson) is on all players,” said Xanders, “how great a coach he is with enforcing accountability and coachability whether it’s Aaron Donald or all the way down to the practice squad defensive linemen … we felt that adding (Brown) in there, there’s nowhere to go but up.”

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Having Brown, who will only be turning 24 by the time his second contract comes up, learn about the NFL in a position room with three-time Defensive Player of the Year Aaron Donald was also one of the reasons the staff felt comfortable drafting him despite his young age.

That’s wild. Brown is only 20yrs old.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
That’s wild. Brown is only 20yrs old.
Agree but it’s also one reason I think the early expectations should be measured.

If Bobby Brown can be a solid backup to Robinson at the 5-technique, in place of Brockers, I would be happy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
A lot of buzz around Brown, I’m anxious to see what he’s got. He seems to have what you need, power, quickness; so why was he still on the board? Same with Rochelle, but I guess it’s easy to build guys up that you don’t really know.
Rochelle played at Central Arkansas and wasn’t well coach. He’s a high cepick.

Brown supposedly ran hot and cold in games. While the Rams saw a lot of potential and feel they have the room to bring out his best. At only 20 years old there is still a lot to work with.

This was not a normal draft either. Scouting was limited. Most of the work was done virtually and the Rams may be the best at using analytics and making the most of their time by using tape instead of traveling to workouts.

Many had hoped that Snead’s approach could find players that most teams missed with the limited play. He may have pulled it off.