Rookies Alexander, Mason Await Their Turn/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rookies Alexander, Mason await their turn
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/11485/rookies-alexander-mason-await-their-turn

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Much was made last week of the fact that No. 2 overall pick Greg Robinson would not be starting his first NFL game against the Minnesota Vikings. But Robinson ended up playing nine snaps in relief of Rodger Saffold and chipping in on special teams.

That's more than can be said for the Rams' third- and fourth-round picks, however. Third-round running back Tre Mason and fourth-round safety Maurice Alexander were pre-game inactives on Sunday in no small part because coach Jeff Fisher believed he needed others for special teams.

In Mason's case, he's simply too far behind the top two running backs, Zac Stacy and Benny Cunningham, to help the offense at this early stage of his career. Chase Reynolds is technically a running back as well, but really on the roster exclusively for special teams.

That left Fisher with a decision between Mason and undrafted rookie Trey Watts. Fisher chose Watts.

“It was special teams," Fisher said. "Trey Watts was doing more. Not that Tre can’t, but Trey Watts was doing more on special teams standpoint, from a backup stand point, kickoff coverage, kickoff return, personal protector and those things. You can’t keep them all up. Tre was a little surprised, doesn’t like it and was the first one upstairs in the special teams' coaches office this morning.”

That Mason was not active should be no surprise given the above factors but it's still fair to be disappointed that the Rams' third-round choice wasn't even available for the season opener. For comparison's sake, last year's third-round choice, T.J. McDonald, started at safety and played 71 defensive snaps in the season opener. Fellow third-round pick Stedman Bailey didn't contribute on offense but played three snaps on special teams.

As for Alexander, it was a mild surprise that he wasn't active solely based on the fact that he plays a position where he figured to contribute on coverage units. But Fisher said the Rams opted to keep undrafted rookie cornerback Marcus Roberson active for his special teams acumen and Alexander isn't yet ready to help on defense.

Last year's fourth-round pick, offensive lineman Barrett Jones, was inactive in his first NFL game and was again Sunday because of a back injury.

“We kept four safeties and I’ve got five corners up," Fisher said. "He’s doing a nice job, but I would trust the other two to play defense prior to him right now.”

Theoretically, it's a sign of progress for the Rams that they aren't so heavily dependent on rookies to play right away. But based on the small one-game snapshot of the season opener, the Rams could use any help the rookies could provide.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Alexander missed a good chunk of the preseason, did he not? I'm not that worried about him.

Mason, though... dude's been passed by Watts, and I'm concerned.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Alexander missed a good chunk of the preseason, did he not? I'm not that worried about him.

Not sure there is a reason to be concerned. He hasn't been passed up by any means as a RB. Doesn't really matter which one of them are 3rd or 4th at this point. Neither are gonna get many reps from scrimmage.

Watts was active because of Special Teams. Not because he served a better purpose as a RB. Now, that being said, if something were to happen and he was called on to perform, it seems they have enough confidence in him to do the job.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Yeah, that's not a good sign. I expected buku explosiveness and a shit ton of "wow" moments out of that cat this preseason. Hopefully it's just a playbook issue or something (some players are way more book-smart than others). I hope he gets activated soon and gets some reps to get going. That was a luxury pick that needs to be luxurious.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Not sure there is a reason to be concerned. He hasn't been passed up by any means as a RB. Doesn't really matter which one of them are 3rd or 4th at this point. Neither are gonna get many reps from scrimmage.

Watts was active because of Special Teams. Not because he served a better purpose as a RB. Now, that being said, if something were to happen and he was called on to perform, it seems they have enough confidence in him to do the job.
Didn't they try Mason out at KR in the offseason?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey

Part of my concern is that I hoped Mason could come in and compete as kick returner before earning a spot in the RB rotation.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Didn't they try Mason out at KR in the offseason?

Part of my concern is that I hoped Mason could come in and compete as kick returner before earning a spot in the RB rotation.

He was part of the mix of players working, but most of the time he was the 4th or 5th option. Until he got hurt, it was Pead, Givens, Veltung, Reid, Mason, Franklin. Usually in that order.

They even stopped using B. Cunningham in that role, as they like him as the lead blocker. I'd say, at this point, even Watts would get a shot at that before Mason.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
I thought we had a great draft after snagging mason in the third, but I was a little surprised we didn't draft a guard or center in that round tbh, we were already pretty well set at RB

However, I had high hopes mason would contribute straight away, like Hyde has done for the niners. It's a bit concerning that he's not even suited up, let alone taking snaps in the backfield.
Plenty of time for him to develop though

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Think Fisher said Mason was the first one in Fassel's office after the game, presumably trying to work his way onto special teams immediately. This isn't a Pead situation where Mason is depressed, in the dog house and not even trying to get playing time (though Pead eventually did work hard to get on ST eventually).

So while it's really disappointing, I think Mason has the drive to work his way up from that spot and I don't expect to see him there long. If he turns out to be a viable special teams candidate, I would probably expect him to get on there in the next few weeks, probably after the bye. It's going to be hard getting snaps from scrimmage, and they knew that taking him. We have 2 very good backs in front of him, and he's going to have to earn every single snap by playing incredible, and he's just not there yet, and I wouldn't necessarily expect him to be Week 1 of his first NFL game on a roster. He has to step up though.

V3

Hall of Fame
Yeah, that's not a good sign. I expected buku explosiveness and a crap ton of "wow" moments out of that cat this preseason. Hopefully it's just a playbook issue or something (some players are way more book-smart than others). I hope he gets activated soon and gets some reps to get going. That was a luxury pick that needs to be luxurious.
I'm not sure it's a playbook issue as much as it is a pass-pro issue. Mason seems to be a 3rd down type back that can't pass block yet. He didn't have to do it in college so I'm hopeful he can learn. My only concern is his size. I know there have been small RB's that were good pass protectors but it's hard for them to get.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'd throw all the rookies in there. Let them learn. We aren't winning the Super Bowl this year so get them more reps so they learn quicker. The only place I might be hesitant to do this is Mason with pass-pro where he could get the QB hurt.