Rookie Wide Receivers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

I liked him too. Its written down somewhere. (y)

Found it..

Untitled.png

iced

I disagree with your whole contention. That's a statement that could be made for so many positions. LT being just one of them. I would have less problem with that had you been talking about all elite players and not just WRs. I like that fact that you said "if you don't have one" but then that goes against your whole drafting for the future philosophy.

Like everything else in life, it's all about trade offs and compromises. It's not all about one position, it's about building a team for now and in the future IMO.

just like I disagree with this whole "Keep Sam upright" and" he hasn't had time" excuse, blaming the o-line. Which is hogwash to me - Bradford has been middle of the pack, if not slightly better, in terms sacks, hits, and pressures over the past year or 2 (not including 2011).

one constant is the receiver position - guys running wrong routes, missing hot reads, drops, lack of separation, or a combination of those - for 2 consecutive years now. Rams haven't had a receiver go over 775 yards in a long while (only team in NFC West last season with that mind you).

Gotta improve the passing game if we wanna improve the points, especially if they still want to "spread 'em out" and "unleash sammy".

Alan

Legend
iced moving the goalposts:
just like I disagree with this whole "Keep Sam upright" and" he hasn't had time" excuse, blaming the o-line. Which is hogwash to me - Bradford has been middle of the pack, if not slightly better, in terms sacks, hits, and pressures over the past year or 2 (not including 2011).

one constant is the receiver position - guys running wrong routes, missing hot reads, drops, lack of separation, or a combination of those - for 2 consecutive years now. Rams haven't had a receiver go over 775 yards in a long while (only team in NFC West last season with that mind you).

Gotta improve the passing game if we wanna improve the points, especially if they still want to "spread 'em out" and "unleash sammy".
Might be true iced (although I still disagree just like I did the last time we talked about this;)) but this isn't what you were saying that I disagreed with. You have some good logic behind this post and I have no problem admitting it's another way to skin the cat but your post I responded to still is still lacking any logic to me.

laramsoriginal

Starter

It should be obvious to anyone the rams have no intention of unleashing or spreading out the offense. Snisher wants to have a balanced team. Improve the OL and you will see a much improved the passing game.

PhxRam

It should be obvious to anyone the rams have no intention of unleashing or spreading out the offense. Snisher wants to have a balanced team. Improve the OL and you will see a much improved the passing game.

Prior to Bradford going down, it sure seemed like we were throwing the ball a lot more then running it. Especially in the redzone.

Stats could very well prove me wrong though.

Alan

Legend
PhxRam doubting his memory:
Prior to Bradford going down, it sure seemed like we were throwing the ball a lot more then running it. Especially in the redzone.

Stats could very well prove me wrong though.
I think you're remembering that correctly but forgetting that that hadn't really discovered Stacy yet.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
No two ways about it, they started out trying to run a spread with an option for a Richardson draw or a pass to him in the flat.

I think it depended on how Bradford read the defense, but that wasn't where it struggled. Basically, linebackers were killing the RB options, which is fine, but the offensive line wasn't holding up long enough to complete the routes they were trying to run. Of course when they did call a play up the middle, they were relying too much on Cook's blocking.

Introduce multiple tight end options and a more patient back and the rushing attack really took off.

All that said it really wasn't completely unsuccessful, and it got us some wins against some pretty good run defenses, but when Bradford went down, the option to spread the field vertically basically vanished regardless of the formation.

My point is that it will be a balanced offense, not necessarily in just pass to run ratio, but in formations as well stretching the field horizontally, which implies that they will look to improve the pass protection of the offensive line long term through the draft.

Alan

Legend
PhxRam waking up and wondering where he is:
I thought DR could have played but was just ineffective for a few games.

I swear you intentionally cloud my memory.
When you hear the phrase "last year" you will cluck like a chicken.

images
upload_2014-4-1_17-35-41.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2014-4-1_17-35-26.jpeg
    upload_2014-4-1_17-35-26.jpeg
    1.3 KB · Views: 154

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Egg/Chicken.

Do we discover Stacy if Bradford doesnt go down?
Stacy started Game 5 against the Jags, after the Thursday night debacle. If you remember, Fisher told the media the Rams would be running the ball better. Bradford had 3 games with Stacy, then hurt his knee. It was against Seattle that the Rams had that monster running game (over 200 yards), but couldn't get in the endzone because to that point our running game in the redzone was ineffective. That put the game in Clemens hands ...

Against Tennessee, Stacy got the Rams first rushing TD of the season. 2 I think.

Alan

Legend
Thank Bhudda for you young guys who still have your memories Quixote! (y) :bow:

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
That's just their rookie season, I would like to see stats from a career standpoint. I've pulled every first round pick since 98. Justification can be made for or against the OP's position. Someone else should pull the first round OTs. Jrry, I don't know how you do this so often, this took forever, woo!

'98
116Kevin DysonWRUtahTennessee Oilers
121Randy MossWRMarshallMinnesota Vikings
130Marcus NashWRTennesseeDenver Broncos

'99
16Torry HoltWRNorth Carolina StateSt. Louis Rams
18David BostonWROhio StateArizona Cardinals
113Troy EdwardsWRLouisiana TechPittsburgh Steelers

'00
14Peter WarrickWRFlorida StateCincinnati Bengals
18Plaxico BurressWRMichigan StatePittsburgh Steelers
110Travis TaylorWRFloridaBaltimore Ravens
121Sylvester MorrisWRJackson StateKansas City Chiefs
129R.Jay SowardWRUSCJacksonville Jaguars

'01
18David TerrellWRMichiganChicago Bears
19Koren RobinsonWRNorth Carolina StateSeattle Seahawks
115Rod GardnerWRClemsonWashington Redskins
116Santana MossWRMiami (Fla.)New York Jets
125Freddie MitchellWRUCLAPhiladelphia Eagles
130Reggie WayneWRMiami (Fla.)Indianapolis Colts

'02
113Donte' StallworthWRTennesseeNew Orleans Saints
119Ashley LelieWRHawaiiDenver Broncos
120Javon WalkerWRFlorida StateGreen Bay Packers

'03
12Charles RogersWRMichigan StateDetroit Lions
13Andre JohnsonWRMiami (Fla.)Houston Texans
117Bryant JohnsonWRPenn StateArizona Cardinals

'04
13Larry FitzgeraldWRPittsburghArizona Cardinals
17Roy WilliamsWRTexasDetroit Lions
19Reggie WilliamsWRWashingtonJacksonville Jaguars
113Lee EvansWRWisconsinBuffalo Bills
115Michael Clayton
WRLouisiana StateTampa Bay Buccaneers
129Michael JenkinsWROhio StateAtlanta Falcons
131Rashaun WoodsWROklahoma StateSan Francisco 49ers

'05
13Braylon EdwardsWRMichiganCleveland Browns
17Troy WilliamsonWRSouth CarolinaMinnesota Vikings
110Mike WilliamsWRUSCDetroit Lions
121Matt JonesWRArkansasJacksonville Jaguars
122Mark ClaytonWROklahomaBaltimore Ravens
127Roddy WhiteWRAlabama-BirminghamAtlanta Falcons

'06
125Santonio HolmesWROhio StatePittsburgh Steelers

'07
12Calvin JohnsonWRGeorgia TechDetroit Lions
19Ted Ginn Jr.WROhio StateMiami Dolphins
123Dwayne BoweWRLouisiana StateKansas City Chiefs
127Robert MeachemWRTennesseeNew Orleans Saints
130Craig DavisWRLouisiana StateSan Diego Chargers
132Anthony GonzalezWROhio StateIndianapolis Colts

'09
17Darrius Heyward-BeyWRMarylandOakland Raiders
110Michael CrabtreeWRTexas TechSan Francisco 49ers
119Jeremy MaclinWRMissouriPhiladelphia Eagles
122Percy HarvinWRFloridaMinnesota Vikings
129Hakeem NicksWRNorth CarolinaNew York Giants
130Kenny BrittWRRutgersTennessee Titans

'10
122Demaryius ThomasWRGeorgia TechDenver Broncos
124Dez BryantWROklahoma StateDallas Cowboys

'11
14A.J. GreenWRGeorgiaCincinnati Bengals
16Julio JonesWRAlabamaAtlanta Falcons
126Jonathan BaldwinWRPittsburghKansas City Chiefs

'12
15Justin BlackmonWROklahoma StateJacksonville Jaguars
113Michael FloydWRNotre DameArizona Cardinals
120Kendall WrightWRBaylorTennessee Titans
130A.J. JenkinsWRIllinoisSan Francisco 49ers

'13
18Tavon AustinWRWest VirginiaSt. Louis Rams
127DeAndre HopkinsWRClemsonHouston Texans
129Cordarrelle PattersonWRTennesseeMinnesota Vikings

Anyone else glossing over this list that counted about 37 picks that never really panned out?

A55VA6

Legend
Nice job jrry. I think if we go into 2014 with the WR's we have, I think we'd be fine. Sure we may draft one, but I'm thinking rounds 3-7 we can find a decent guy.

Austin can be special, Bailey got more involved and played better with each game, Givens had a bad year/hoping to rebound (he and bradford seem to be on the same page unlike with Clemens), Pettis is trustworthy, and Quick is a ? still, but it appears he's slowly getting better.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

You should re-watch those games and then tell me whether you think the O-line was doing a good job of protecting Sam. See how much time he had and how clean of a pocket he had. There is no way that the actual play on the field demonstrated an effective O-line. I really don't care what that stat says. I have rewatched all the games Sam played in and many of KC's games. What I saw was a game plan that was predicated on the fact that the ball had to come out quickly and the spread was pretty much non-functional with no running lanes or site gaps.

Adding Watkins will no doubt mean a 2014 with yet another young receiver missing reads, running the wrong routes, and dropping passes as the sound of real NFL footsteps close in. Long term he might pan out as a #1 receiver. But with his stature and production through his career, there is nothing that sets him up as a future star except for his former coaches gushing over him and a bunch of non-NFL salaried persons putting him at the top of this year's WR class.