Rookie Profile: Pharoh Cooper

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Cooper Likely a Solid Slot Option for L.A. Offense

TheRams.com

View: http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/Rookie-Profile-Pharoh-Cooper/76b2ee9e-87c7-4c20-8f99-21b14de01386

The Rams’ blockbuster trade up to No. 1 overall in the 2016 NFL Draft left them with four remaining picks — two in the fourth round, and two in the sixth. But on Day 3, Los Angeles swapped fourth-round picks with Chicago, moving down to No. 117 to gain an extra sixth-round selection.

With the club’s second pick of the day, the Rams continued to add pieces to their passing offense by selecting wide receiver Pharoh Cooper.

According to head coach Jeff Fisher, the Rams have had their eye on the wideout for a couple years. They noticed how Cooper was one of the catalysts for former South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier’s offense.

“He was running the football, he was catching balls, and returning,” Fisher said. “He’s just somebody you need to get the football to.”

“We felt like he would be a really good prospect for a slot receiver where he could get in there and uncover and get open because he’s strong, he’s powerful,” Fisher continued. “He’s got really good ball skills.”

Cooper also saw his share of time as a returner — both punt and kick — and even had a few trick plays as a QB in college.

“Every time I get on the field, I’m on the field to make plays, help my team get in situations where I can score touchdowns and win games no matter where I’m at,” Cooper said during last week’s rookie orientation. “Just [making] plays — that’s kind of how I stand out from the rest.”

Because of Cooper’s versatility and physical style, general manager Les Snead admitted rookie camp likely isn’t the best place for him to show off his skill set.

“Right now, I would say, this is the worst time of year for Pharoh. It’s helmet and shorts,” Snead said. “But when you put shoulder pads on and full pads, and he catches a football, then the fun starts.”

Still, Cooper said he enjoyed just getting on a football field again after the long draft process. It’s a common refrain from rookies both on the Rams and across the league.

“Like I said early in the draft process — the Combine process — I’m not a Combine guy. I’m not a Combine freak. I’m a football player,” Cooper said. “So just to step on that field again, and put some cleats on, and a helmet on, start learning plays, running routes — it felt great to actually be out there and catch the football.”

As the young wideout goes through learning the playbook, he may have a slight edge. Cooper was a quarterback in high school, and knowledge from that time aided in his transition to receiver.

“Just knowing where everybody is going to be,” Cooper said. “Cover 2, you know where the safeties are going to be. Cover 3, you know where the safeties and the corners are going to be at. So switching from quarterback to receiver was, pretty much, an easy transition.”

Cooper won’t be alone in studying up on the plays. His new teammate, wide receiver Tavon Austin, had already reached out to lend his support before the two even met in person.

“We actually were on FaceTime,” Cooper said. “He was asking me about the film, asking me what was going on, what plays we were running — little things like that. We didn’t really talk about other stuff. We were just talking football last night.”

On his conference call just after being drafted, Cooper said he had long admired Austin’s career. Now that the two are teammates, Cooper’s relishing the chance to be on the same field at the same time.

“He’s always making plays,” Cooper said. “He’s just so fast and quick. He always makes somebody miss. I just love watching him play.”

As the Rams offseason program continues, Cooper’s looking forward to making strong early impressions not only for the coaches, but also his teammates.

“Just for them to know that I’m a hard worker and that I’m going to compete every day — every day of the week when we have practice,” he said. “I’m going to study the playbook so I’m not on the field looking clueless when the play comes up. I’m not focused on trying to get a starting spot right now. I’m just focused on working hard, trying to get all the formations and plays so that when I get on the field, I know what to do.”

If he’s successful in those endeavors, Snead had a fairly lofty comparison Cooper may live up to.

“There’s a lot of comparisons on him, but I always say he reminds me of a long time ago, a long-time player named Hines Ward coming out of Georgia,” Snead said.

If Cooper becomes that kind of player, the Rams should have a high-quality receiver for years to come.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We all knew Pharoh was a player on the field. But just like with Gurley when I see this kid interviewed it's clear the Rams hit a home run on the person as well. What a grounded young man. Can't wait to see him effin OWN the slot.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
“Just for them to know that I’m a hard worker and that I’m going to compete every day — every day of the week when we have practice,” he said. “I’m going to study the playbook so I’m not on the field looking clueless when the play comes up. I’m not focused on trying to get a starting spot right now. I’m just focused on working hard, trying to get all the formations and plays so that when I get on the field, I know what to do.”

:yay:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I can see it now!!:yay:" Throw me the Damn Ball!" :yay:Throw me the Damn Ball!" And the crowd will be Cheering "COOOOOP!":D:yess:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I can see it now!!:yay:" Throw me the Damn Ball!" :yay:Throw me the Damn Ball!" And the crowd will be Cheering "COOOOOP!":D:yess:
Not show sure of that ???? Actually a little of beat.bannanas can't jump .

Just want to say I LOVE Les Sneads comparison !! I'm not sure Coop can block & if he will ever when that dancing TV show ? As a Laker fan do a Coop-a-loop , or shot a 3 pointer.

What I do know is finally The Rams pick a WR with GREAT value. It is a position that always shows 2-4th rd value. Just look at Keenan Allen ,Cobb , or even Locket from Seattle bust a PR first game against the Rams.

I really love the fact he was a prodigy from The Ball coach. I'm sure he was a big reason he gave it one more year. This guy will bring excitement & make some serious spectacular plays.He & T. Austin along with T. Gurley will cause Panic. Goff putting the ball on spot with quick release with YAC because of where he throws it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Looking forward to Cooper in the wildcat and throwing a jump pass to Tavon for six!

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
I'm pretty excited about this pick. Just have a good feeling. I hope he turns into what we all hoped Bailey would be in this offense.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
If he produces as a receiver and looks good returning punts, the Rams won't be under pressure to pay Tavon Austin 14-mil per season, if he seeks that next year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If he produces as a receiver and looks good returning punts, the Rams won't be under pressure to pay Tavon Austin 14-mil per season, if he seeks that next year.

Interesting that you say that. As I was reading Fisher say, "He, does everything, runs, ......" I immediately thought they wanted him to replace Tavon, because Tavon will get paid more than they want to pay him. I wasn't going to say it though because I wasn't going to rock the boat. I'm glad you said it, Boatrocker.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
But Tavon is just a gadget player. How could he demand that kind of money?:dizzy::rolleyes:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
But Tavon is just a gadget player. How could he demand that kind of money?:dizzy::rolleyes:
It's his draft value. The Rams have to let him test the market,then there is no guarantees. Will see what's up during the season.Tavon is probably the most electric PR in football.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Interesting that you say that. As I was reading Fisher say, "He, does everything, runs, ......" I immediately thought they wanted him to replace Tavon, because Tavon will get paid more than they want to pay him. I wasn't going to say it though because I wasn't going to rock the boat. I'm glad you said it, Boatrocker.
Say what you will about Tavon ..I don't see him taking Tavon's spot as a PR/er.If he does it is to protect Austin from injury.

Cooper has real good hands & is stronger
player than T Austin.Coop adds the element of surprise. I'm sure there will be gimmicks with the 2 players.Just adds more pressure on the defenses.It also can create holes for Gurlly,Britt,&L.Kendricks(TE). Keenum hit Britt a couple times deep because of 1 on 1 coverage..

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Say what you will about Tavon ..I don't see him taking Tavon's spot as a PR/er.If he does it is to protect Austin from injury.

Cooper has real good hands & is stronger
player than T Austin.Coop adds the element of surprise. I'm sure there will be gimmicks with the 2 players.Just adds more pressure on the defenses.It also can create holes for Gurlly,Britt,&L.Kendricks(TE). Keenum hit Britt a couple times deep because of 1 on 1 coverage..

I am sure the Rams would like to keep Austin, but I thought the same about Jenkins too. It all depends on the money.

Ram65

Legend
Les and I thinking a like.:cool: I mentioned in another thread that he reminded me of Hines Ward.;) I think they picked him for Goff. Looks like a perfect match coming out of the slot. Goff's accuracy and Cooper's great hands. Doesn't hurt that he could backup at both PR and KR:yay:

Ram65

Legend
Let's add that Cooper will have a much better than average chance to make an impact as a rookie slot receiver. The quarterbacking experience should be a big asset to get his NFL career off to a fast start.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

In two years. Austin is under contract through 2017, since the Rams picked up the 5th year option.

But yes, it's always good to have options. Injuries can happen, insane contract offers can happen.

That's why I really wanted the Rams to draft a big body DT this year - a guy to develop, so that if Brockers gets offered an incredible contract, the Rams wouldn't need to use their 2nd to replace him.

JC-3

UDFA
Name
JC-3
Dude looks like a beast! He's also really smart, quick, and committed... I'm liking Pharoh more and more!