Rookie Profile: OL Rokevious Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nick Wagoner
http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-eve ... df90797483

6_234616.jpg

Name: Rokevious Watkins

Position: Guard/Tackle

Number: 73

College: South Carolina

Height: 6’3

Weight: 338 pounds

High School Career: Played at Creekside High where he was considered a top prospect in his region…Earned a scholarship to the University of Alabama-Birmingham, where he signed out of high school but ended up at Grossmont Junior College in San Diego.

College Career: After he was unable to qualify to play at Division I level out of high school, attended Georgia Military College in Milledgeville…Started right away and helped Bert Williams’ team to one of the best rushing outputs in the country his first two seasons…was considered a three-star prospect by Scout.com and the 26th best junior college player in the country according to SuperPrep which helped land him a shot at South Carolina…Redshirted his first year in Columbia before becoming a starter in 2010, alternating between left and right guard…Moved to right tackle for his senior season but moved to the left side after an injury in 2011 and became an Associated Press first team All SEC selection and got second team honors from the SEC coaches… Started all 27 games of his South Carolina career…He has 12 starts at right guard, two starts at left guard, five starts at right tackle, and seven at left tackle.

Need to Know: Endured a difficult childhood that saw him moving around quite a bit, a trend that continued after heading to college. But always able to rely on his best friend, current Chiefs safety Eric Berry, who grew up down the street. Watkins refers to Berry as his “brother” and says Berry is one of the main reasons he was able to survive his tough youth.

He Said It:

“I like to do it all but I take pride in the physicality. There’s nothing better than grabbing a defensive lineman and slamming him on his neck. I enjoy it and it’s legal.” – Watkins on what he likes most about football.

They Said It:

“Rok is a big man. He’s overcome a lot of stuff, great story. He’s a very productive player. He’s a finisher. He goes down field and finishes. He’s versatile and can play guard or tackle.” – Coach Jeff Fisher on Watkins.

“He is a large man, about 330, played left tackle, guard, right tackle. With us having a left guard spot opening and his versatility, he made a lot of sense there.” – GM Les Snead on Watkins.

Outlook: With an opening at left guard, Watkins could be the surprise of the 2012 draft class. Proved to be versatile and productive for the Gamecocks but is best projected as a powerful run blocking guard at the NFL level. He’ll have a chance to win the left guard job but if not will get the chance to develop as a versatile backup including a look at right tackle.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Big body - sounds like he's got a nasty streak too - legally speaking of course. :sly:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RamFan503 said:
Big body - sounds like he's got a nasty streak too - legally speaking of course. :sly:
Well if Fisher likes him, then he's definitely got some nasty in him. I like how he's described as "a finisher." Sounds like we're trying to put together one beastly run-blocking line. Could be another banner year at the old Jackson house, eh?

Anonymous

X said:
RamFan503 said:
Well if Fisher likes him, then he's definitely got some nasty in him. I like how he's described as "a finisher." Sounds like we're trying to put together one beastly run-blocking line. Could be another banner year at the old Jackson house, eh?

One thing, though this year could be an exception.

In the past, both Boudreau and Fisher have been real reluctant to start rookie linemen. Boudreau HAS brought in rookies to start but I don't think he has done it in the first half of a season. Both are real big on tearing them down and building them back up and only fielding them when they are ready.

This year could be an exception because it looks like they are going to play a lot of rookies, including the punter, kicker, possibly the returners, Brockers, Jenkins, and possibly a receiver. They may just be going for a "struggle with the rookies for the sake of the future" season.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
X said:
RamFan503 said:

In the past, both Boudreau and Fisher have been real reluctant to start rookie linemen. Boudreau HAS brought in rookies to start but I don't think he has done it in the first half of a season. Both are real big on tearing them down and building them back up and only fielding them when they are ready.

This year could be an exception because it looks like they are going to play a lot of rookies, including the punter, kicker, possibly the returners, Brockers, Jenkins, and possibly a receiver. They may just be going for a "struggle with the rookies for the sake of the future" season.
Yeah, pretty much what I was thinking. I seriously doubt Mattison has a stranglehold on the position with his limited experience in the league. That's gotta be up for grabs in camp, and it shouldn't matter between the rookie and 2nd year guy who nails it down. Whoever plays better or shows more.

Mattison has to show SOMETHING, because the NFL doesn't even know which position he plays right now.

b393b86b683b44fe9ba3161.png

Anonymous

X said:
zn said:
X said:
RamFan503 said:

Yeah, pretty much what I was thinking. I seriously doubt Mattison has a stranglehold on the position with his limited experience in the league. That's gotta be up for grabs in camp, and it shouldn't matter between the rookie and 2nd year guy who nails it down. Whoever plays better or shows more.

Mattison has to show SOMETHING, because the NFL doesn't even know which position he plays right now.

b393b86b683b44fe9ba3161.png

The pasting continues.

"Pasting" this time meaning "copying."

Mattison I think is more suited for the Fisher/Boudreau approach to linemen, though (as opposed to starting a rookie on day one). When Boudreau built the Atlanta line overnight in 2008, it included 2 trained up prior UDFAs who had been on the roster for a year or 2 but had not started (Dahl and Clabo). Mattison fits that profile. A lot of people, including me, have seen some promise in Mattison. We'll see if we were right. If nothing else maybe Mattison holds the fort till Watkins is deemed ready (the way it worked with Setterstrom in 06 and Sam Baker in 08...they did not start right away). Or maybe Mattison is not a Boudreau kinda guy.

I will say this. I want Watkins to work out. A 567 pound guard with attitude? I like it. He reminds me in a general kind of way of Setterstrom in 06. When he finally got a starting spot, he was an absolute LOAD. I would like to see that kind of thing again.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
After some work in the weight room and some coaching he could be molded into a good player. Seems like the type of player to be very responsive to coaching and a hard worker in general.

I don't think there's any way he starts week 1 though. September 9th is a ways away, but still, it's not enough time.

My early guess is Turner being plugged in at starter day one. Even with only 2 starts in the past 5 seasons. Who knows who'll end up there week 1 of the season.

I'm worried about the line.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Username said:
After some work in the weight room and some coaching he could be molded into a good player. Seems like the type of player to be very responsive to coaching and a hard worker in general.

I don't think there's any way he starts week 1 though. September 9th is a ways away, but still, it's not enough time.

My early guess is Turner being plugged in at starter day one. Even with only 2 starts in the past 5 seasons. Who knows who'll end up there week 1 of the season.

Yeah, it's all up in the air right now. I'm only worried about it in the sense that they could be as ineffective as they were last year. But here's the thing. They're not going to be changing things up at the line as much this year. At least it won't be a function of the system. I think it's going back to basics this year. Pound the rock and pick your shots. If that's the case, then it won't be *as* difficult to pick up as last year's scheme. Plus, there's that minicamp thing they get this year. That's new.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
X said:
Username said:

Yeah, it's all up in the air right now. I'm only worried about it in the sense that they could be as ineffective as they were last year. But here's the thing. They're not going to be changing things up at the line as much this year. At least it won't be a function of the system. I think it's going back to basics this year. Pound the rock and pick your shots. If that's the case, then it won't be *as* difficult to pick up as last year's scheme. Plus, there's that minicamp thing they get this year. That's new.

Having an offseason during this transition is priceless, agreed. I still don't know about "not changing things up" though. By that sense I mean injuries from past players who've shown to be prone to injury, and players getting shuffled based on performance. Not very comfortable with the depth either. Guess we have to have faith in the coaches to figure it out. I agree that this system is going to be easier on the guys than the last. What I really want (besides 5 all pros :bign: ) is consistency and continuity. Something that can make average lines better as the season plays out.