Rookie Profile: DT Michael Brockers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Nick Wagoner
http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-eve ... 425975e42d

Brockers_Feature_420_310.jpg

Name: Michael Seth Brockers

Position: Defensive Tackle

Number: 96

College: Louisiana State University

Height: 6’5

Weight: 322 pounds

High School Career: One of the top prospects to come from Texas in 2009, he was a dominant defensive end at Chavez High…Rated the 10th best defensive end in the country according to Rivals.com…Had 10 sacks in 2007, catching the attention of schools all over the nation on his way to earning scholarship offers from the country’s most elite programs…First team All Region and All State as a senior.

College Career: Redshirted his first season in Baton Rouge, adding strength and weight to make the transition to defensive tackle from end after he arrived weighing just 255 pounds…In his first year on the field, he checked in at 300 pounds and made the transition to defensive tackle…Got his first start against Alabama in 2010 and earned the job permanently in 2011…In his first year as a starter, Brockers emerged as one of the nation’s most dominant run defenders as he posted 54 tackles, two sacks and 10 tackles for loss…Also cause a fumble, blocked a kick, deflected three passes and came away with an interception as LSU finished second in the nation in total defense and scoring defense…That performance earned him second team All-SEC honors.

Need to Know: As the oldest of five to single mother Tiffany Brockers, Michael assumed the role of man of the house at a young age. When Brockers’ grandmother was unable to watch the kids, the responsibility fell on Michael who worked at a Pappas burger joint in Houston to help pay for school uniforms and supplies for he and his siblings. Declared early for the NFL Draft in large part to help give his mother and siblings a new home and a better opportunity to excel.

He Said It:

“It really wasn’t an easy decision because I had to go through the season first and didn’t want to get off my game and think about anything else. I had to play the season first and I went home and had seen how my mom was living and I just didn’t like it at all, so that was really my decision to set my mom up financially and just have the opportunity to play in the National Football League.” – Brockers on his decision to leave school early.

They Said It:

“He was one of our top rated players on the board. We felt like we have two young, good to very good ends and we signed Kendall Langford so being one of our better players on the board, not only do we get one of the players we wanted but we made the defensive line unit one of our strongest units on the team.” – GM Les Snead on the selection of Brockers in the first round.

“Michael, he’s a big man. At 322 pounds, he’s very explosive, he’s very instinctive. For not having played, for not being a four-year starter, he’s very, very instinctive. He can play across the face of blocks, he pushes the pocket, he can collapse, he can get on an edge, he plays with effort. I mean, what else can you say? And there’s so much more ahead of him. He’s going to develop into a fine player. And he’s an outstanding young man, great character guy, hard worker. He’s the complete package now. He’s what you want in a defensive tackle, especially in our division with the downhill runners and things like that. One person I know that’s smiling right now is (LB) James Laurinaitis.” – Coach Jeff Fisher on what Brockers brings to the table.

Outlook: Brockers is expected to step in and start from day one next to Kendall Langford at defensive tackle. Most likely, Brockers will get the job at nose tackle where he can occupy multiple blockers and allow Laurinaitis to run free to the ball. Will be expected to make a big difference in run defense right away and continue to develop pass rush skills over time with defensive line coach Mike Waufle.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I really can't wait to see our defense hit the field. I'm just effing geeked by the possibilities. A front four consisting of Long, Quinn, Langford, and Brockers. Our backfield with the additions of Finnigan, Jenkins, and Johnson. Dunbar playing along side JL who I think is headed for the Pro Bowl ain't gonna hurt.

I know a lot of people think I should cool my enthusiasm for the upcoming year but that's just not me.

We are going to finally have that change of pace back to play with SJ, a heady center instead of Brown who clearly wasn't, JSmooth with what should be a new lease on life, several young receivers and TEs with a little seasoning, an offensive scheme that I believe won't get ahead of itself, and god willing, a few less injuries.... Why NOT us? We were picked to take the West last season at the beginning. We are clearly a more talented and deep team now.

Let SF have even half the injuries we saw last year and they become our bitches. Time to shock the football world!

I say :flip: to the prognosticators!!!