Rookie Orientation Report: Where’s the Beef? Rams O-Line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
One of their top needs, The Rams went heavy in the NFL draft by selecting four offensive linemen with their nine picks. FOX 2’s Zac Choate reports on the 4 O-linemen the Rams drafted last weekend. Includes highlights from mini-camp, plus comments from Havenstein, Brown, and Donnal.

Watch O-Line Report

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Every time I hear more on Havenstein, I get more and more impressed. He went ALL last season and didn't get ONE Holding call! Very impressive for a O-Lineman!! If he can come close to repeating that in the pro's we have something!!!!:D

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
To me No holding calls is a indication that he understands Leverage and angles and is very strong, somewhat contradictory to some scouting reports. A OL holds when beaten.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My understanding (from other sources, I'm not an expert) is that while he doesn't look dominant in pass blocking, he is so wide, and understands blocking angles so well, that he was effective in delaying rushers without having to cheat. So especially if the Rams are focusing on play action and short drops he should be fine.

Get him coached up with added strength from the weight room, and he could be more than fine, of course.

Limey

Rookie
There was a comment from the Senior Bowl practices that while he looks ungainly, he gets the job done, and was extremely difficult to get around, even for the so-called top pass rushers.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Offensive Linemen Make Early Impression

Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Offensive-Linemen-Make-Early-Impression/e00200fc-c3e9-40b3-8eeb-5170969730b8

It’s no secret that the Rams are looking to become one of the league’s best power-run teams. Not only was taking running back Todd Gurley at No. 10 overall a clear signal, but also drafting four offensive linemen who are each at least 6-foot-3 and 315 pounds.

“It’s hard not to look at the four offensive linemen we drafted and say, ‘Wow,’” head coach Jeff Fisher said after Saturday’s rookie orientation session. “Somebody said yesterday they look like refrigerators with legs. It’s a good-looking group and they’re moving around pretty good.”

Rob Havenstein, Jamon Brown, Andrew Donnal, and Cody Wichmann can all be described as “maulers” -- guys who are physical at the point of attack and excel at run blocking. Taken with the 119th overall pick in the fourth round, Donnal said he’s more than a little excited to now be a part of a power-run team.

“That’s a lineman’s dream,” he said. “We want to run the ball, push people around. We like it dirty and messy. We don’t like everything clean. So yes, that’s an awesome situation for us to come into.”

Though they didn’t do too much on the field over the weekend -- Fisher said he likes to use this time mostly to help get the rookies get acclimated to their new environment -- the head coach intimated that each linemen has a chance to be successful sooner than later.

“The Iowa offensive system, the Wisconsin offensive system are probably more closer to what we do,” Fisher said. “Fresno State, Cody is well coached. We’re really excited about Jamon because he’s got tremendous athletic ability. I don’t think it’s going to be a long time for the four of them to catch on to the techniques and things and what not.”

Under head coach Kirk Ferentz, Iowa has earned a reputation for producing quality offensive linemen. As a Hawkeye, Donnal says that status comes from the high emphasis the coaching staff places on technique and fundamentals. He added that coming from Iowa’s pro-style system likely will help him when it comes to learning the Rams’ offense.

“A lot of the overall scheme concepts are pretty similar,” Donnal said. “It’s just getting down the verbiage and how to communicate everything with all the other lineman that takes a while to learn.”

A product of Fresno State, Wichmann, the No. 215 overall pick in the sixth round, played in a spread offense his junior and senior seasons. But in the years prior, the Bulldogs played a traditional pro style under former head coach Pat Hill.

“Many of the terms, at least for run blocking, are the same,” Whichmann said, adding that he had been using his old playbooks to review concepts he would need in the NFL. “I was working plays on the board with Kenny Wiggins, who plays for the Chargers. I played with him when I was a freshman at Fresno, so that helped.”

But now that they’re in the building, the four draftees will have the tutelage of offensive line coach Paul T. Boudreau. And based on the early reviews, the veteran coach has already been making a positive impact.

“I had the opportunity to speak to coach Boudreau in the pre-draft process and I was absolutely ecstatic that I have the opportunity to play under him,” Havenstein said. “I think he’s a great coach already. I’m learning little techniques and once I get that going, I’m just looking to be the best O-lineman I can be every day.”

“So far, the work we’ve done, I think he’s an excellent teacher,” Brown said. “I think he will be a coach and a guy who will be able to get me to where I’m trying to get to. We’ll just keep working everything and see where it takes us.”

Though there were only 26 players at the Rams rookie orientation, they still had enough first-years to fill out an offensive line. In addition to Havenstein, Brown, Donnal, and Wichman, the team signed undrafted free agent offensive tackle Darrell Williams out of South Florida.

“They’re great guys. I’m having a blast with them,” Wichmann said. “They’re all hard workers. We’ve got four drafted, one undrafted, but we view it as we’re all brothers, I think. We just met each other, but I think it’ll get to that point. We already have each other’s back. It’s only Day 2, but I think we’ll get closer and closer as a tight-knit group.”

“All the guys in the offensive line room, seems like we’re pretty unselfish,” Donnal said. “They kind of left their egos at the door, and they’re just here for football. They don’t care if you were the first pick or the 300th pick -- whatever. We’re all here to earn spots and we’re here to compete.”

And according to Brown, that competition will likely make the entire group better.

My motto has always been, ‘Iron sharpens iron,’ so you want to have a lot of good guys around you to be able to push you and kind of make you play to the best of your ability all the time,” Brown said. “When you do that, everyone gets better. So iron sharpens iron is the motto.”

As the offseason program progresses, the linemen know that competing against one another could spur each to not only crack the roster, but also make an early impact. For one, general manager Les Snead said after Havenstein’s selection that the Wisconsin product is ready to play. But like any athlete would tell you, Havenstein said he’s just taking things one day at a time.

“I’m just excited for the opportunity that’s in front of me here,” Havenstein said. “I can’t think about anything but one day in the future, one rep in the future. The next meal, the next rep, the next thing I’ve got is what I’m focusing on. I’m just looking forward to doing that the best I can.”

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
LOL, the next meal! Welcome to the NFL buffet, Havenstein!

All kidding aside, the more I read up on these guys, the more I get impressed with their maturity and knowledge of the game, key factors (to me) over brutes who have no idea what a stunt is--and in the NFC West, they're going to see lots of them. Boudreau now has over 3/4 of a ton of OL beef (with brains to match) that he can mold & shape to his philosophy; I fully expect to see a dominant OL take shape by the end of the season.

GRob - Brown - Jones - Saffold - Havenstein <---that's a solid OL, and we even have DEPTH this time!!!

To me, the best teams in the NFL have quality depth in multiple groups: DL; LB's; CB's; OL; QB's; RB's; TE's; WR's. For the longest time, our OL depth was walk-on's & scrap heap pickin's. Many groups on this team had shallow depth, too. BUT NOW... things seem to be finally shaping up into a well-rounded, deep team that will be fun to watch every Sunday.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
The Rams D-line is going to hand these kids their asses early and often. And it's going to be the best thing for them. Once they get used to blocking the Rams pass rushers some of the other guys are going to feel like a joke for them.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
"Iron sharpens iron" is a great motto, and I love the attitudes, the excitement and friendship....

When these poor rookie bastards meet 91 and his friends on the field, the motto might be more accurate as "Iron slices clean through a fresh ham."

I'm looking forward to see this group get settled in. One or two of the guys will emerge. If GROB can be one more ( I think so), these young linemen might just shape up into iron

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Louisville vs. Virginia (2014) Jamon Brown #79 (LT/RT)

Jamon Brown Shows the inner confidence to battle any opponent along the offensive line. Has the intelligence to play on both sides of the line, but he needs to get better at diagnosing line stunts by the defensive line. Brown knows how to get into relative position, but he needs to do a better job of sustaining blocks especially on the second level. He shows the mental toughness to keep playing hard even late in the game......

Watch Brown Game Tape Vs. Louisville

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
NASA just called from the space station and said our offensive line when together can be seen from Space.;):oops::cool:

nighttrain

Legend
Love these young monster OL we either drafted or UDFA (only one guy)
OL could be set for next 8-10 years
train