Rookie Jersey Numbers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
PressureD41 said:
Isn't #11 retired Jim Everett lol

Nope.

7 Bob Waterfield
28 Marshall Faulk
29 Eric Dickerson
74 Merlin Olsen
75 Deacon Jones
78 Jackie Slater
80 Isaac Bruce
85 Jack Youngblood DE

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
The practice of retiring numbers is stupid IMO. It's a team sport, when someone retires it should be next man up. Where does it end anyway, in 50 years we might need to start using 3 digits!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
ScotsRam said:
The practice of retiring numbers is stupid IMO. It's a team sport, when someone retires it should be next man up. Where does it end anyway, in 50 years we might need to start using 3 digits!

LOL - i was thinking the same thing, its almost like, sorry but you can't wear number XX - because he was great, and you're not going to be as good as him...

I'd much rather the discussion to be, right you're wearing number XX, don't let it down...

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Slappy967 said:
While I am still COMPLETELY against Chris Givens wearing #13, its pretty awesome that our blue & gold track team will he wearing 11,12 and 13.

Also would somebody pleeeeeeease see that #13, 28, 80 are all retired soon?

All due respect, Rams fans are forever indebted to Kurt for what he did for STL for 3 years, but in my opinion it wasn't enough to merit a jersey retirement. Especially the way he left STL, nightmarish 2002 followed by a 5 turnover week 1 in 2003. Plus he spent less than half of his career in STL. Although the most important part of his career was in STL (2 league MVPs, SB Champion, SB MVP, etc.), I just think you have to sustain the greatness for more than just 3 years to merit a jersey retirement.

As for 80 & 28? Already retired. My guys I want to see have their jerseys retired are #81 & #39. Greatness, leadership, and consistency. 6 straight 1,300 yard seasons for Biggame & 8 straight 1K seasons for SJ

Slappy967

Starter
Kurt was in the STL longer then he was in NY or AZ? I blame the end of his tenure on the incomparably incompetent head coaching skills of Mike Martz. But I do agree 100% on #39 as that guy brought more class and heart to an organization that hardly deserved it then anyone.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Slappy967 said:
Kurt was in the STL longer then he was in NY or AZ? I blame the end of his tenure on the incomparably incompetent head coaching skills of Mike Martz. But I do agree 100% on #39 as that guy brought more class and heart to an organization that hardly deserved it then anyone.

We may have differing opinions on the way Martz handled the Kurt situation, but I think he handled it very similarly to the way Harbaugh did with Smith & Kaep (although Kurt is much better than Smith). Did Harbaugh cause the injury to Alex Smith? No. Did cause the injuries to Kurt? No. It's not Mike's fault that Kurt became a turnover machine in 2002 & week 1 of 2003. He had to do what was best for his team in those 2 years. Marc Bulger gave the Rams a better chance to win on Sunday's as evidenced by his 6-1 record in 2002 and his 12-2 record in 2003. Contrast that with a 1-6 2002 and 0-2 2003 by Kurt. Was it tough to see the plight of a 2-time NFL MVP, 2-time NFC Champion, 1-time world champion, and ringmaster of the GSOT? Sure. But there was little indication that Kurt would dig himself out of the hole he had fallen into, and Mike wanted to go with what was more of a sure thing at the time in Bulger. And to an extent Mike was right. Kurt really didn't get back to being "Kurt" until 2008, although some might argue the year before.

That's the way it goes sometimes in the sport, unfortunately for the starter, and fortunately for some of the backups. Fans would have never known who Steve Young, Tom Brady, and even our own Kurt Warner were if it hadn't been for a few injuries. The coach takes the most heat initially, but they can look like a genius in the long run if it pans out. For Kurt unfortunately things came full circle in STL in 2004.

(Oh, and Kurt spent half of his career on teams OTHER than the Rams. 6 years in NYG/AZ, 6 in STL, 3 only 3 of which he played fully. '98: bench '02: in and out of lineup '03: bench (-wk 1 & wk 16).

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
GreeneCounty said:
Memento said:
Slappy967 said:
While I am still COMPLETELY against Chris Givens wearing #13, its pretty awesome that our blue & gold track team will he wearing 11,12 and 13.

Also would somebody pleeeeeeease see that #13, 28, 80 are all retired soon?

Might as well include 81; if you're retiring Warner's number, you might as well retire Holt's.

Great signature there sir. Way to rep.
Greene County eh?? Springfield Mo??

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I hate the idea of retiring numbers. Some are just cool to see like 7, 28, 80.

Now if they had an amazing career and went above and beyond...then yes, retire the number.

But just because they had a good-great career? Nah. Remember the player not the number. Add their name to the Ring of Honor.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Angry Ram said:
I hate the idea of retiring numbers. Some are just cool to see like 7, 28, 80.

Now if they had an amazing career and went above and beyond...then yes, retire the number.

But just because they had a good-great career? Nah. Remember the player not the number. Add their name to the Ring of Honor.

39 & 81 imo should be retired. HOF caliber careers, great leaders & teammates, tremendous work ethic, well known for their work in the STL community during their careers in STL & still today. I think those 2 are legends and need to be rewarded for everything they have done in STL.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
A55VA6 said:
I definitely think 39 and 81 should be retired.
Nah.

IMO you should only retire the numbers of legends.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
The Dude said:
A55VA6 said:
Nah.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

Agree to disagree. Imo SJ & Biggame are no doubt about it legends. If you retire 80, retire 81. Their careers were very similar physically & statistically

bluecoconuts

Legend
rams24/7 said:
The Dude said:
A55VA6 said:
Nah.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

Agree to disagree. Imo SJ & Biggame are no doubt about it legends. If you retire 80, retire 81. Their careers were very similar physically & statistically

I think they're planning on retiring 39.

Rams Rookie Numbers Revealed
Posted by nickwagoner on May 6, 2013 – 7:47 PM

- With the Rams rookie class set to report to St. Louis on Thursday for this weekend’s rookie minicamp, they’ll be issued their jerseys soon after nd as such, we are giving you a quick sneak peek at what numbers this year’s drafted rookies will wear this weekend and in the future.

- We already knew that first rounders Tavon Austin and Alec Ogletree would wear No. 11 and 52, respectively but now we have a complete list for you.

- Without further ado, here’s the list followed by a couple of quick notes.
WR Tavon Austin – No. 11
LB Alec Ogletree – No. 52
S T.J. McDonald – No. 25
WR Stedman Bailey – No. 12
OL Barrett Jones – No. 67
CB Brandon McGee – No. 32
RB Zac Stacy – No. 30

- Out of that group, none of the rookies were able to retain and wear the number he wore in his final collegiate season. Some of that was a function of NFL rules (such as linebackers not being allowed to wear a single-digit number), some was a function of their previous number already being taken (McGee’s college 21 is taken by Janoris Jenkins) and some are completely off limits (Jones’ college 75 is retired in honor of Deacon Jones).

- The Rams’ receiver corps now actually has more players wearing a number in the 11-19 range than in the 80s with Austin (11), Bailey (12), Chris Givens (13), Nick Johnson (14) and Austin Pettis (18). Of returning wideouts, only Brian Quick (83) and practice squadder Raymond Radway (84) have a number in the 80s.

- McGee was drafted to replace Bradley Fletcher, who departed for Philadelphia in free agency. Coincidentally, he also takes over Fletcher’s No. 32 in the process. Last year, Austin’s No. 11 was worn by Brandon Gibson, Bailey’s No. 12 by Steve Smith and Ogletree’s No. 52 by Justin Cole. The others went unused during the 2012 season.

-[hil]It appears that RB Steven Jackson’s No. 39 will be held aside for the time being[/hil].

- Thanks for reading.

<a class="postlink" href="http://blog.stlouisrams.com/2013/05/06/rams-rookie-numbers-revealed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blog.stlouisrams.com/2013/05/06/ ... -revealed/</a>

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
:lol:
bluecoconuts said:
rams24/7 said:
The Dude said:
A55VA6 said:
Nah.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

I think they're planning on retiring 39.

Rams Rookie Numbers Revealed
Posted by nickwagoner on May 6, 2013 – 7:47 PM

- With the Rams rookie class set to report to St. Louis on Thursday for this weekend’s rookie minicamp, they’ll be issued their jerseys soon after nd as such, we are giving you a quick sneak peek at what numbers this year’s drafted rookies will wear this weekend and in the future.

- We already knew that first rounders Tavon Austin and Alec Ogletree would wear No. 11 and 52, respectively but now we have a complete list for you.

- Without further ado, here’s the list followed by a couple of quick notes.
WR Tavon Austin – No. 11
LB Alec Ogletree – No. 52
S T.J. McDonald – No. 25
WR Stedman Bailey – No. 12
OL Barrett Jones – No. 67
CB Brandon McGee – No. 32
RB Zac Stacy – No. 30

- Out of that group, none of the rookies were able to retain and wear the number he wore in his final collegiate season. Some of that was a function of NFL rules (such as linebackers not being allowed to wear a single-digit number), some was a function of their previous number already being taken (McGee’s college 21 is taken by Janoris Jenkins) and some are completely off limits (Jones’ college 75 is retired in honor of Deacon Jones).

- The Rams’ receiver corps now actually has more players wearing a number in the 11-19 range than in the 80s with Austin (11), Bailey (12), Chris Givens (13), Nick Johnson (14) and Austin Pettis (18). Of returning wideouts, only Brian Quick (83) and practice squadder Raymond Radway (84) have a number in the 80s.

- McGee was drafted to replace Bradley Fletcher, who departed for Philadelphia in free agency. Coincidentally, he also takes over Fletcher’s No. 32 in the process. Last year, Austin’s No. 11 was worn by Brandon Gibson, Bailey’s No. 12 by Steve Smith and Ogletree’s No. 52 by Justin Cole. The others went unused during the 2012 season.

-[hil]It appears that RB Steven Jackson’s No. 39 will be held aside for the time being[/hil].

- Thanks for reading.

<a class="postlink" href="http://blog.stlouisrams.com/2013/05/06/rams-rookie-numbers-revealed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blog.stlouisrams.com/2013/05/06/ ... -revealed/</a>

:clap: :peace: :nice: SJ deserves it. Hope eventually they come to their senses and honor Torry too. As I said in my last post, most WRs are using numbers in the teens (also indicated above), so why not retire 81?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Maybe because Gilyard will think they retiring his number? He already said "It's great, I'm already seeing my number all over town" before the first preseason game.