Romo to miss workouts due to cyst

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
They say cyst, I say yeast infection.

<a class="postlink" href="http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/dallas-cowboys-tony-romo-to-miss-workouts-after-cyst-removal-052113" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/dall ... val-052113</a>

IRVING, TEXAS (AP)
Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo will miss at least three weeks of offseason workouts after a procedure to remove a cyst from his back.

The team's website reported Tuesday, the first day of organized team workouts, that Romo underwent the procedure last month and could return for the mandatory minicamp that starts June 11. He will be ready for training camp in July.

Romo became the highest-paid player in franchise history in March when he signed a six-year, $108 million extension with $55 million guaranteed, more than Super Bowl winner Joe Flacco of Baltimore.

The Dallas Morning News reported that the outpatient procedure was performed before the NFL draft. Romo was restricted to light conditioning work in April but has been cleared to throw.

''If this was the regular season and I had to play next week, I could,'' Romo told the newspaper Monday. ''That's why I did it now. This will have no effect on training camp.''

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has said Romo will have an expanded role in the offense, and his quarterback has committed to ''Peyton Manning-type time'' in trying to turn Dallas into a Super Bowl contender again.

Backup Kyle Orton will take most of the snaps in Romo's absence. He signed as a free agent last year but played in just one game, a blowout loss to Chicago. The Cowboys also have second-year player Nick Stephens and undrafted rookie Dalton Williams on the roster.

A healthy Romo is a huge factor with coach Jason Garrett's job on the line in 2013. Garrett is unlikely to return if the Cowboys miss the playoffs for the fourth consecutive season.

The last time Romo missed significant playing time, former coach Wade Phillips was fired and replaced by Garrett in the middle of a 6-10 season in 2010. Romo was out 10 games with a broken collarbone.

Romo played through a broken rib early in the 2011 season and stayed healthy last year. Both seasons ended with losses to NFC East rivals in finales with playoff berths on the line.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
probably a sebaceous cyst. They can end up with staph or MERSA infections. Probably why they are keeping him out of the lockerroom for the extended period.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think it is actually that well known Idontgiveashitaboutanythingcowgirls cyst. Crops up all the time.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
He's too busy counting his money to be distracted by work. Screw the rookies, they can catch passes by my underlings.

Ever wonder how long he's had this cyst and why he waited until now? :yawn:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
RhodyRams said:
Ovarian? :sly:

Before I opened this thread I saw that there were four replies and I just knew at least one would be this.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Well, I had a sebaceous cyst in my back, just below my right shoulder blade. I never worried about it, since I couldn't see it. But other people, like my wife, could. As it got larger (about an 1/8" bulge) I was nagged into getting it removed. I was 36 then. Local anesthetic, done in my doctor's clinic. Maybe 2-3 weeks recovery. All my doctor did was remove the cyst itself and warned me that it could grow back, which it did, 5 years later. I ignore it now.

I doubt Romo had what I had. If it was and they did more, as in attempting to keep it from coming back, that would extend his recovery. His recovery would depend on how deep the incision was. Mine was just under the skin.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Ram Quixote said:
Well, I had a sebaceous cyst in my back, just below my right shoulder blade. I never worried about it, since I couldn't see it. But other people, like my wife, could. As it got larger (about an 1/8" bulge) I was nagged into getting it removed. I was 36 then. Local anesthetic, done in my doctor's clinic. Maybe 2-3 weeks recovery. All my doctor did was remove the cyst itself and warned me that it could grow back, which it did, 5 years later. I ignore it now.

I doubt Romo had what I had. If it was and they did more, as in attempting to keep it from coming back, that would extend his recovery. His recovery would depend on how deep the incision was. Mine was just under the skin.

I have had two myself also ... and don't ignore it !!! They just get bigger abscess under the skin that you cannnot see. But the big wory in these things is MERSA and staph infections. It would not shock me at all if that is why they are keeping him out of OTA's. NOBODY wants those in their locker rooms!