Roger Saffold is a Ram

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
not me- praying for Watkins- Dont want a top pick OG - rather Watkins, then Yankey in 2nd or Lewan at 13 more.
Not drafting a guard! Drafting a left tackle, upgrading the O line. Badly needed in our division!

Alan

Legend
tbux ignoring the obvious:
Really- where you putting Long then?
LOT. When he recovers enough to play well of course. Matthews will start out at LOT and then slide over to LOG. Isn't that what you'd do?

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Really- where you putting Long then?
Assuming he can play, left tackle. If not, release him. Using 1-2 pick as insurance for o line! Never can have enough big uglies who can start!

tbux

Rookie
LOT of course. When he recovers enough to play well of course. Matthews will start out at LOT and then slide over to LOG. Isn't that what you'd do?

No it isnt- with Saffold back- possibly Joseph, and I think Jones will emerge this year as the ROG- I would not draft my eventual LOT til next year- I would go a different direction. Im fine with Long, Saffold, Wells, Jones/Barnes/Joseph, Barksdale. and whatever depth we draft at OT. IF I am looking at a potential #1 wr who helps day one compared to a LOT 2 or 3 years down the road who will play OG til then- no I would take the WR. thats just me though

Alan

Legend
tbux switching topics:
No it isnt- with Saffold back- possibly Joseph, and I think Jones will emerge this year as the ROG- I would not draft my eventual LOT til next year

That's fine and we all know who you want to draft but that wasn't your question. You asked rhinobean where would he play Long if we draft a tackle.

So I answered your question but you didn't answer mine. Where would you play Long under that scenario? Or is it just to horrible to contemplate? :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: ;)

wrstdude

Rookie
No it isnt- with Saffold back- possibly Joseph, and I think Jones will emerge this year as the ROG- I would not draft my eventual LOT til next year- I would go a different direction. Im fine with Long, Saffold, Wells, Jones/Barnes/Joseph, Barksdale. and whatever depth we draft at OT. IF I am looking at a potential #1 wr who helps day one compared to a LOT 2 or 3 years down the road who will play OG til then- no I would take the WR. thats just me though

Except there's no guarantee Watkins (I'm assuming this is your "potential #1 WR") will help day 1. I like Watkins, but I still don't see him as an AJ Green.

tbux

Rookie
Sorry Alan- if I drafted Matthews- I would play him at ROT- hence my issue. Do I think he is a significant upgrade over Saffold at LOG? no- not at all. I would rather have line I laid out, with Watkins then replacing a solid player with an eventual starter playing out of position.

tbux

Rookie
Except there's no guarantee Watkins (I'm assuming this is your "potential #1 WR") will help day 1. I like Watkins, but I still don't see him as an AJ Green.

Thats fair- but even you have to agree he is far more talented than any outside wr we have. there are never guarantees with drafted players. No guarantee Robinson plays well at OG either- or learns to be a great pass blocker- but I do think he will- as I think Watkins will become a great WR at the next level.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Not to happy its $19.5 mil Guaranteed. Oh well.

Saffold takes less from Rams after Raiders deal falls through
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 13, 2014

rodger-saffold.jpg
AP

Rodger Saffold’s failed physical with the Raiders cost him millions.

Minutes after the start of free agency on Tuesday, Saffold agreed to a five-year, $42.5 million deal with the Raiders that included $21 million guaranteed. But after the Raiders said on Wednesday that Saffold failed his physical, Saffold quickly agreed to a new deal with the Rams.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, Saffold’s new contract is a five-year, $31.7 million deal that includes $19.5 million guaranteed. So the failed physical cost Saffold $1.5 million in guaranteed money, and $10.8 million over the length of the five-year deal.

Saffold does have the option to void the deal after three years, so if he plays well through 2016 it’s possible that he’ll end up hitting free agency in 2017 and making more money in the long run. But at the moment, that failed physical looks costly.

And it’s still unclear what was really behind Saffold’s failed physical. Saffold played the entire 2013 season for the Rams with a shoulder injury, and the official word from the Raiders is that the shoulder is why he failed his physical. But the Rams know Saffold’s medical status better than anyone, and they obviously think he’s going to be just fine. And Saffold claims the Raiders’ doctor told him after the physical that he was going to be cleared.

It’s possible that the Raiders are just using the failed physical as a cover story, and that the truth is they decided after initially agreeing to the contract that they didn’t want to pay Saffold that much money. That’s not a good look for the Raiders, who have tens of millions to spend under the salary cap but aren’t showing a lot of urgency about actually spending it.

wrstdude

Rookie
Thats fair- but even you have to agree he is far more talented than any outside wr we have. there are never guarantees with drafted players. No guarantee Robinson plays well at OG either- or learns to be a great pass blocker- but I do think he will- as I think Watkins will become a great WR at the next level.

Agreed-I'd just like to take a shot w/ an elite OL prospect. I think if he pans out, then it bolsters the offense more than a #1.

Alan

Legend
tbux with a strange answer:
Sorry Alan- if I drafted Matthews- I would play him at ROT- hence my issue.
Why would you do that when we don't have a LOG and we have Barks at RT. It doesn't really matter if Matthews would play RT better than Barks if it leaves us without a great LOG does it?

Would you explain the reasoning behind that please.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Saffold takes less from Rams after Raiders deal falls through
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 13, 2014
I think the Raiders decided to take a tackle in the first round! Makes sense to do that at a lot less money!
rodger-saffold.jpg
AP

Rodger Saffold’s failed physical with the Raiders cost him millions.

Minutes after the start of free agency on Tuesday, Saffold agreed to a five-year, $42.5 million deal with the Raiders that included $21 million guaranteed. But after the Raiders said on Wednesday that Saffold failed his physical, Saffold quickly agreed to a new deal with the Rams.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, Saffold’s new contract is a five-year, $31.7 million deal that includes $19.5 million guaranteed. So the failed physical cost Saffold $1.5 million in guaranteed money, and $10.8 million over the length of the five-year deal.

Saffold does have the option to void the deal after three years, so if he plays well through 2016 it’s possible that he’ll end up hitting free agency in 2017 and making more money in the long run. But at the moment, that failed physical looks costly.

And it’s still unclear what was really behind Saffold’s failed physical. Saffold played the entire 2013 season for the Rams with a shoulder injury, and the official word from the Raiders is that the shoulder is why he failed his physical. But the Rams know Saffold’s medical status better than anyone, and they obviously think he’s going to be just fine. And Saffold claims the Raiders’ doctor told him after the physical that he was going to be cleared.

It’s possible that the Raiders are just using the failed physical as a cover story, and that the truth is they decided after initially agreeing to the contract that they didn’t want to pay Saffold that much money. That’s not a good look for the Raiders, who have tens of millions to spend under the salary cap but aren’t showing a lot of urgency about actually spending it.

nighttrain

Legend
Don't I know it train. My second wife has a more nuanced view of this though. Especially considering the divorce settlement. However, that was when I was young and stupid. Now that I'm older and wiser I've learned to live in a constant state of panic. That way, nothing can be pinned directly to the panic as being the cause of anything stupid I do. I can claim it's all genetic and people buy it. :rolleyes: :cautious:

Unbelievable isn't it?
Never worry about issues you have no control over, good motto to live by Mr Alan
train

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
How often does a "potential # 1 WR" help day one though? Outside of QB WR is the one position that seems to take time to learn at the NFL level.