Roger Saffold is a Ram

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Wonderboy

Rookie
Jim Thomas is saying on Twitter that the deal will average under $6 million per year with playing-time incentives that could take the overall value substantially higher....

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
By Adam Schefter | ESPN.com

After a disagreement in Oakland on Rodger Saffold's physical condition, he is returning to St. Louis to sign a five-year contract with the Rams, his agents Alan Herman and Jared Fox said Wednesday night.
So the Rams get back an offensive lineman and the Raiders are back to square one at left tackle.
Herman and Fox said there was a strong disagreement on Saffold's physical condition. The Raiders had concerns about his shoulder; the Rams had "no concerns whatsoever" about his shoulder.
Herman and Fox contacted their doctors, Dr. Frank Cordasco at the Hospital For Special Surgery in New York, who studied Saffold's MRIs. His review indicated nothing was wrong with Saffold's shoulder.

So the doctor said there is nothing wrong and they still killed the deal? Well, I think it's probably a big plus for us. Can't see us paying as much.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Jim Thomas is saying on Twitter that the deal will average under $6 million per year with playing-time incentives that could take the overall value substantially higher....
If that's the case it's a good deal. Should keep the total cap number down and only pay him bigger money if he stays healthy. Sounds like a win/win.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Haha I found out from Kellen Clemens welcoming him back on twitter.

NFL. Shit never surprises me.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
I think Raiders realized they overpaid and used that as a way out. lol

I think this could be closer to the mark than we all realise. There is no doubt they overpaid for Saffold and maybe they realised in time.

All good though. He was our No. 1 target in FA and in the end, we got our man. Left side or right side doesn't matter. He will do a job for us and will do it well.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Like... when exactly?
Last yr Saffold & his agent voiced no issues with playing ORT but during the off season many articles have appeared where the Left & right was discussed. Saffold prefers Left.

Saffold had no problem playing RT and RG last year, and I believe I've heard him say it doesn't really matter to him.

You are correct Saffold & his agent said that a year ago. But since the conclusion of the 2013 season there have been many articles on the voiced desires of Saffold thru his agent that he prefers left and he does not want to play right OT. I see where Balzer says Saffold will play LEFT OG for the Rams in 2014.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/2/25/5446606/rodger-saffold-doesnt-want-to-be-a-right-tackle

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/rodger-saffold-doesnt-want-to-be-a-right-tackle-292266.html

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_f57285d5-9bd0-5bce-9214-fc23fe0af957.html

Last edited:

nighttrain

Legend
Saffold is a left side guy he has voice it over and over...left side has an issue with the Jake Long injury....the unknown with that situation. having Saffold who has always played left side since HS on the left OG side helps stabilized that blind side.
I'll buy this, sounds logical
train

jjab360

Legend
I think this could be closer to the mark than we all realise. There is no doubt they overpaid for Saffold and maybe they realised in time.

All good though. He was our No. 1 target in FA and in the end, we got our man. Left side or right side doesn't matter. He will do a job for us and will do it well.
I laughed at first, but it seems like the owner got involved and overruled the FO. The "failed physical" was just an out that they used to cancel the deal. Considering that there's no actual league-wide outline of what it takes to fail a physical, it's completely within the team's discretion to cancel a contract based on pretty much any reason.

jjab360

Legend
You are correct Saffold & his agent said that a year ago. But since the conclusion of the 2013 season there have been many articles on the voiced desires of Saffold thru his agent that he prefers left and he does not want to play right OT.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/2/25/5446606/rodger-saffold-doesnt-want-to-be-a-right-tackle

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/rodger-saffold-doesnt-want-to-be-a-right-tackle-292266.html

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_f57285d5-9bd0-5bce-9214-fc23fe0af957.html
Notice he said guard or LT and not LG or LT.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Thats where i'd put him...if we draft a Robinson.

If they go Jake Matthews? Who has played three seasons on the right side?

Looks like that early 2013 separated shoulder in the first pre season game @ ORT was the injury and the issue with the Raiders.

Last edited:

jjab360

Legend
Thats where i'd put him...if we draft a Robinson.
My plan from the very beginning. Plan got sideswiped for a little bit, but we're back on track now. Our O-line is going to be deadly with Long-Robinson-Jones-Saffold-Barksdale. I also like Davin Joseph as insurance for Saffold and Long as well. He's insurance for Long because if he goes down we can move Robinson or Saffold to LT and move Joseph in at either OG spot.

jjab360

Legend
Haha, this is becoming a recurring theme for us:
If taking a long and winding path to get what they wanted all along sounds familiar, it's because that's something the Rams have already done this offseason. After a period of relative quiet to begin the offseason, the Rams suddenly fired defensive coordinator Tim Walton. Before anyone could even begin to speculate on who his replacement might be, the Rams had a deal in place with Gregg Williams to take over.

That was the same Gregg Williams whom the team had hired to take over in 2012 but was suspended for his role in the New Orleans Saints bounty scandal and not retained by the team after. The same Gregg Williams whose relationship with Fisher seemed too frayed to repair. Sure enough, the Rams brought Williams back on a day that served as a reminder that anything can happen in the NFL.

Wednesday night provided yet another, perhaps stranger reminder of that. Once again, the Rams were involved in something wild. Once again, they ended up with the person who was their first choice all along. Once again, it all worked out.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
My plan from the very beginning. Plan got sideswiped for a little bit, but we're back on track now. Our O-line is going to be deadly with Long-Robinson-Jones-Saffold-Barksdale. I also like Davin Joseph as insurance for Saffold and Long as well. He's insurance for Long because if he goes down we can move Robinson or Saffold to LT and move Joseph in at either OG spot.

Joseph has become far more attractive now that RS is back in the fold. I agree with everything you have said here Jjab.