Roger Saffold Appreciation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
(mods, please fix my misspelling of Rodgers name!)

I'm sure most of you have seen this but I want to take a moment to point out what I believe deserves some of our collective appreciation.

Watch 76 (and 77!) on that ridiculous 3rd and 33 catch and run by Woods.
"There is no play for 3rd and 33."
- To fully appreciate this, you have to acknowledge that quote and that it represents the way many people view that kind of down and distance situation as an insurmountable obstacle.
Well, here is the thing - that play wasn't an accident. It wasn't the result of a mistake by the defense.
That the play went for six is thanks to Woods impressive speed and explosive finish after he passed the 1st down marker, but like most plays not involving Marshall Faulk, this one required a full team effort and that effort is powerfully evident in Saffolds hustle and reaction to that play.

76 gets off the line and bursts up field, moving like a 300lb skill player. Saffold and Whitworth both make huge blocks downfield...
Saffold is playing at an extremely high level and it's nice to see our longest tenured Ram enjoy some team success.
Some people might go through the motions in that kind of down and distance position... but not our guys. They played it like they could pick it up, and they did. Freaking beautiful

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
I loved both of them getting down field and blowing their blocks up on that play.
Saffold is the same player he has always been. Physically gifted. A guy athletic enough and big enough to play a solid LT. Moved inside, dominant.
It would always bother me when people would insist on dumping Saffold, he has been the Rams best lineman for years.
He is finally healthy and in a system that matches up with his skill set.
I am happy for the guy. Glad he is a big part of the turn around and gets to enjoy winning.
It probably means a lot to the guy. Injuries, bad coaching, QB issues, new offensive systems every two years. He has certainly paid his dues.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I loved both of them getting down field and blowing their blocks up on that play.
Saffold is the same player he has always been. Physically gifted. A guy athletic enough and big enough to play a solid LT. Moved inside, dominant.
It would always bother me when people would insist on dumping Saffold, he has been the Rams best lineman for years.

Same. It never made sense to me how getting rid of Saffold would help our line improve. He has always been talented and professional.

jap

Legend
Beetlejuice is playing the position he was meant to play. I wonder how many of our OL guys will get Pro Bowl recognition this season?

fearsomefour

Legend
Beetlejuice is playing the position he was meant to play. I wonder how many of our OL guys will get Pro Bowl recognition this season?
I would imagine Whitworth and that's it on the line. Sadly.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ive never doubted his talent and his ability to play ..i have doubted his ability to stay healthy (the dude got a huge contract offer from the raiders and failed the physical remember ) guy is balling for sue our entire o line is ,,, and tis a thing of beauty ... anyone see the run play (i think) where Hav obliterated someone ...im gonna have to to go look for it ..

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Saffold was always a good player for us, just a lot of injuries. But now next to Withworth they might be the best left side of the OL in football. I mean the line play cannot be understated to our success. Goff has had time to throw that is almost like watching Brady play. It's a thing of beauty really.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Saffold was good playing LT, but it seemed to mess up his shoulders. He's had both operated on and fixed and from what I remember, so that they were not susceptible to the same injuries? I was so thankful that the Rams were able to re-sign him after the Raiders pulled back the contract after the physical, which I think was more about buyer's regret than anything..THANK YOU RAIDAHS!

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Always appreciated Saffolds game and always been a good player for us. Nice to see him staying healthy.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I just took sometime last night re waching the Giants game for a follow-up report on Rob Quinn's non performance....while I turn off the Packer/Lions game for lack of interest....I can tell you that LG Rodger Saffold is on fire!:shooting:RS had a great game in pass protection last Sunday along with his run blocking. I have suggested earlier this week I would consider a nice extension for him to get him for a little longer for Goff.:bow: