Roger Goodell's Press Conference

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Basically " We screwed up but I don't want to lose my cushy gig so shoot we'll fix that." Unfortunately it looks like this guy has dodged a bullet.
--------------------------------------
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...t-wrong-im-sorry-and-now-i-will-get-it-right/

Goodell: I got it wrong, I’m sorry and now I will get it right
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 19, 2014

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell acknowledged his own missteps and admitted that he needs assistance in overseeing the league’s personal conduct policy in a Friday press conference designed to stem the wave of criticism the NFL has faced over high-profile domestic violence cases involving players.

“I got it wrong in the handling of the Ray Rice matter and I’m sorry for that. I got it wrong on a number of levels, from the process that I led to the decision that I reached. But now I will get it right and do whatever is necessary to accomplish that,” Goodell said.

Goodell said that everyone affiliated with the NFL — both at the team level and the league level — will go through training to help reduce domestic violence. And Goodell said he hopes the NFL will become a leader in fighting against domestic violence throughout American society.

“These incidents demonstrate that we can use the NFL to help make change, not only in our league but in our society with respect to domestic violence and sexual assault,” Goodell said.

Goodell also acknowledged that the league office itself dropped the ball in investigating the Rice case, and he said the NFL will cooperate fully with former FBI Director Robert Mueller’s investigation of the matter.

“We will get our house in order first,” Goodell said.

The NFL is now pledging to work with outside groups and to work with the National Domestic Violence Hotline. The league has pledged to provide the resources the Hotline needs — resources that have been strained in recent days as domestic violence has become a topic of conversation around the league.

The arbitrary nature of the NFL’s personal conduct policy has also been criticized in recent weeks, and Goodell vowed to get that right.

“We will make it happen,” Goodell said. “We will implement new conduct policies. They will have a set of clear and transparent rules for league and club personnel, owners and players. My goal is to complete this by the Super Bowl.”

Goodell spoke forcefully and expressed confidence that the league can move forward.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...everything-on-the-table-in-terms-of-his-role/

Goodell: “Everything on the table” in terms of his role
Posted by Darin Gantt on September 19, 2014

goodell4.jpg
AP

Among the most glaring errors of the NFL over the last two weeks has been the problem of unilateral power.

But during his press conference, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell seemed willing to cede some ground.

“Everything is on the table,” Goodell replied when asked if he was willing to yield some of the decision-making power.

Announcing that he planned to remake the personal conduct policy in conjunction with the union (with a stated goal of having it done by the Super Bowl) is a solid first step.

But the idea that he has to include more voices in the process seems apparent.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/19/roger-goodell-insists-he-never-considered-quitting/

Roger Goodell insists he never considered quitting
Posted by Darin Gantt on September 19, 2014

There may be a lack of certainty coming from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell right now, but he’s absolutely clear on one thing.

He won’t be giving up his job.

Asked directly if he considered giving up his job, Goodell said no.

“I have not,” he replied. “I am focused on doing my job. We have work to do. That’s my focus.”

He again defended his willingness to admit wrongdoing, and promised bold action.

But the fact he has such support from owners made it a bit of a moot point, as there was very little indication anything would come from the numerous calls for him to step aside.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Until Goodell resolves the issue of piss poor officiating, especially after last season when he said he wants to address it, he doesn't have my support.

Athos

Legend
BLAH. BLAH. BLAH.

Such a phony who still has his head up his own cavernous ass.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Did anyone else watch this live? What a complete farce
He basically avoided answering anything of any relevance and just repeated he's sorry.
Sorry for what Roger?

Sorry you gave rice 2games?
Sorry you lied about the NFL "trying all means necessary" to get the 2nd elevator tape?
Sorry that TMZ managed to get this impossible to get tape with 1 bloody phone call?
Sorry you interviewed Ray and Janay together?
Sorry that you lied about the NFL having the tape when it's clear the organisation did?
Sorry that no one will believe that you didn't see the tape when you've appointed yourself judge jury and executioner?
Sorry you hired people with strong ties to the NFL to carry out this so called independent investigation?
Sorry that the phrase "ignorance is not an excuse" has come back to bite you hard?

Please...do tell Roger

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell acknowledged his own missteps and admitted that he needs assistance in overseeing the league’s personal conduct policy in a Friday press conference designed to stem the wave of criticism the NFL has faced over high-profile domestic violence cases involving players.

Here what RG should have said....

I mishandled Ray Rice's case as well as many other DV and SA cases. He was honest with us in saying that he punched hi wife and knocked her out. I did not want to hear this and avoided seeing other collaborating evidence and because I was swayed by his wife and team. I aplogize for putting her in an untenable position.

We then did the unthinkable and punished him twice for the same incident to coverup our totally inept handling of DV/SA over the years. I am accountable for my action inactions. As such the following will be effective tomorrow.

1. I am fining myself $6 million that will go to Domestic abuse organizations.
  2. Any NFL employee including me that, is judged by Robert Mueller and his special investigator team, to be less than 100% cooperative or honest, will be immediately terminated.
  3. Because I should have know of the details of RR incident when I initially suspended him and did not, he is immediately reinstated with the ability to sign with any team that would like to sign him.
  4. Any NFL employee deemed to have been inpossesion or viewing the RR 2 nd video and not communicating it to me, will be terminated.
  5. I have asked the the NFLPA to jointly chair and drive our new Personal Conduct policy and infrastructure.

Bottom line is I should have know and did not. I am asking our fans, the owners, and our partners to give me six months to fix the problem I have let fester for the last 10 years. I know what needs to be done and the process to lead us to where we need to be.

Thank you and I ask for your forgiveness.
I know it did not happen but something close to this will happen in the next 2-3 months.

He basically avoided answering anything of any relevance and just repeated he's sorry.
Sorry for what Roger?

Sorry you lied about the NFL "trying all means necessary" to get the 2nd elevator tape?
Sorry that TMZ managed to get this impossible to get tape with 1 bloody phone call?
Sorry that you lied about the NFL having the tape when it's clear the organisation did?
Sorry that no one will believe that you didn't see the tape when you've appointed yourself judge jury and executioner?
Sorry you hired people with strong ties to the NFL to carry out this so called independent investigation?
Sorry that the phrase "ignorance is not an excuse" has come back to bite you hard?

Please...do tell Roger

Whenever I hear a politician say sorry it reminds me of this:

:jerkoff:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Did he get it wrong when he dictated that the Rams must have 20 penalties per game even if they don't commit penalties? See: roughing the passer (Dunbar in 2014 and Brockers in 2013). Oh and no holding for offensive lines going against the Rams. See every single play against Quinn

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Sorry for what Roger?

Please...do tell Roger

FYI a two game suspension is what has been handed out for a long, long time so Goodell did the same thing that has been done over and over to players. The difference is the two videos. Nobody SAW a player hit his girlfriend or wife before so it was never an issue. That's why I have been saying without the tapes NONE of this is happening.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Outside the lines has done an exposé. Fairly damning of the Ravens and NFL and actually paints Ray Rice as privately remorseful. I still don't buy why Janay Palmer Rice had to accept culpability for "her role" or why Ray Rice would allow that if he truly felt the way he felt... Were he and Janay following the lawyers advice? So many unanswered questions that I'm not sure I want answered...

Anyway, here's the link: Very good article, but too long to post here. (edited that last part. The article isn't too long. just too long to post)

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...l-unfolded-baltimore-ravens-roger-goodell-nfl

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
Pathetic performance telling us nothing we didn't already know and he failed to answer any of the pertinent questions.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Did he resign or get fired?

Otherwise I have no interest in this press conference.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Pathetic performance telling us nothing we didn't already know and he failed to answer any of the pertinent questions.
I hope he gets fired...if only because he allowed the refs to destroy our organization at any and all opportunities. Given that most owners don't care, he'll keep his job. But he should be fired for helping to obliterate our season.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
We're all forgetting why this happened in the first place. That whole issue isn't even being discussed.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Lot of players are calling him out on his shit. Roger Goodell, you have graduated from pig to hog. Now it's time to face the slaughterhouse.

Alan

Legend
brokeu91 not liking Goodell:
I hope he gets fired...if only because he allowed the refs to destroy our organization at any and all opportunities. Given that most owners don't care, he'll keep his job. But he should be fired for helping to obliterate our season.

Understood. I don't want to fire him for stuff I can't prove, even though I have some of the same suspicions as you do about some of the things that have happened. I want him to be fired for this offense because this has to do with saving lives.

BTW, Even though I'm 100% sure that the Cheatriots taped our final walk through, I'm not that unhappy about them destroying the evidence. What would airing it have accomplished? They weren't going to replay the SB. It took MLB awhile to recover from the Black Sox scandal. I'm pretty damn sure the other owners won't let that kind of thing happen again. I can see nothing good happening were the truth to come out except some kind of revenge against the Cheatriots. They have my hate and that's enough for me.