Roger Goodell: The quality of games is better on Thursday nights

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Yes, you read that right. Don't know what planet he's on mentally or if he's merely trying to push a failing product, but Thursday night NFL games suck for the most part. For those of you too young to remember the infamous Baghdad Bob, look it up.

roflbot.jpg

************************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...uality-of-games-is-better-on-thursday-nights/

Roger Goodell: The quality of games is better on Thursday nights
Posted by Josh Alper on January 25, 2017

631688338-e1485381561713.jpg
Getty Images

The quality of Thursday night games has been much discussed since the league expanded the slate of games played during the week and the general feeling expressed by players, fans and media members has been that the games aren’t a particularly good example of the NFL’s product.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell disagrees with that assessment. During an interview with Goodell on “The Herd” Wednesday, Colin Cowherd of FOX Sports said that he and his staff had found that there are fewer penalties and a higher completion percentage in Thursday night games and asked Goodell if that battled the narrative that the games aren’t very good to watch.

“We’re more than just optics here. We’re into facts,” Goodell said. “Go to the same statistics, because you’re right about the quality of the games on Thursday night. There are actually less penalties, less turnovers. Almost by every barometer the quality of the games is better on Thursday night. Obviously, some games you’re going to have aren’t going to be as competitive, they will have a dominance. You get that.”

It should probably go without saying that fewer penalties and turnovers and higher completion percentages don’t necessarily translate to a higher quality game and does nothing to combat complaints from players about the quick turnaround from Sunday to Thursday.

Goodell said that there is no “indication, facts or anything else that would indicate that the level of injuries are up on Thursday night” but did say the league would look at scheduling to minimize stresses on teams.

Like many other things in the league, the long-term answer on Thursday night games (the current contract with CBS and NBC runs through 2017) probably comes down to a decision about whether or not the league benefits more from having the game than they would by scrapping the Thursday slate. If ratings and revenues are good enough, questions about the quality of the games aren’t likely to rattle the league all that much.
-----------
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-completion-percentage-irrelevant-to-quality/

Penalties, completion percentage irrelevant to quality
Posted by Mike Florio on January 26, 2017

5souaga-e1485446018754.jpg

The goofy notion that Thursday night football is somehow better than football played on other days sprung from a single premise, as articulated by Colin Cowherd during his interview of Commissioner Roger Goodell: Thursday night games have fewer penalties and higher completion percentages.

For starters, penalty rates and completion percentages are hardly the definitive metrics for determining the overall quality of a football game. Whether or not a given football game is “good” depends on many things, with the ultimate attractions being lead changes, splash plays, big hits, dramatic moments, and an outcome determined as late as possible in the contest.

The bigger problem with these two hand-picked factors, which supposedly were the product of show research but which more likely were handed to the host by someone who works at 345 Park Avenue, come from what reduced penalties and increased completions actually mean.

As one league source with extensive experience studying football games played on every day of the week explained it to PFT, reduced penalties and increased completions are the signs of a blowout.

In blowouts, the defense of the team on the right side of the margin plays a lot of loose, zone coverage. The team that’s trailing consequently gets plenty of “garbage completions” that pad stats.

The team with the lead throws fewer passes, in order to keep the clock running. When they do throw, the passes are more likely to be short and controlled, which pushes the completion rates even higher.

Penalties also decline because the officials become less inclined to bog down a game that no longer is in doubt.

So whoever cooked up a hot take based on those ingredients needs to cram the thing into the garbage disposal, quickly. As more and more people get a whiff and/or a taste of it, more and more people will question the sanity of the chefs.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I don't care. I'm already having football withdrawals,,, and there's still one game left.

I wish like hell that there was a game coming on tonight. Competitive or Not... give me NFL Football.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I don't care. I'm already having football withdrawals,,, and there's still one game left.

I wish like hell that there was a game coming on tonight. Competitive or Not... give me NFL Football.

I don't mind TNF, it did give me a reason to drink a few beers and watch football. Now that TNF is over, my TNF offseason will be spent in a bowling alley.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I don't mind TNF, it did give me a reason to drink a few beers and watch football. Now that TNF is over, my TNF offseason will be spent in a bowling alley.

So now you'll have a reason to drink MORE than a few beers. :D

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
What games was rodger watching? Games were terrible about 80% of the time.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
What games was rodger watching? Games were terrible about 80% of the time.

It started hiking up toward the end of the regular season. Goodell should of made sure TNF was consistent but he is a jabroni anyways so it doesn't matter.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I still think they shouldnt have tnf every week. Maybe after 8 games.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Rodger needs to be in concussion protocol making statements like this
Or Bernie Kosar protocol

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Nah he wishes he could drink as much as me and still bowl over 200's.;)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Maybe he spends Thursday nights watching the games with Robert kraft and he gets all giddy when he thinks of anything Thursday night.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The wear and tear on players who don't have time to get their proper rest after playing on Sunday in itself makes TNF a bad idea. Coaches can't spend the normal amount of time working on game plans and preparing players, so of course the games won't be as good. Roger is selling a flawed product to an audience that knows better. "Who are you gonna trust, me or your lying eyes?"

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...sday-night-games-not-a-big-issue-for-players/

DeMaurice Smith: Thursday night games not a big issue for players
Posted by Josh Alper on January 26, 2017

483279095-e1485458678709.jpg
Getty Images

Thursday night football has worked its way back into the news this week thanks to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell’s assertion that games played on that night are of a higher quality than those played on Sundays and Mondays.

He wasn’t the only one talking about Thursday night games this week. In an interview with the Washington Post that took place before Goodell’s comments, Smith said that the idea that all players hated Thursday night games wasn’t true. He said he thinks there’s a 50-50 split among players when it comes to their feelings about the games and that the issue is rarely raised in meetings involving player reps.

“How many rep meetings have we had where Thursday night games were a big issue? Not that much … I’m not being coy,” Smith said. “But when somebody asks me what should happen with Thursday night games, I don’t spend a lot of time thinking about it because I don’t get a vote. If Thursday night games are a big issue for our reps, they’ll bring it up. If they want to vote on a resolution to do something with Thursday night games — play them, not play them, engage the league about them — that’s what we do.”

While the quality comment hasn’t been met with much support from the general public, another of Goodell’s comments was met with agreement by Smith. Goodell said there’s no indication that injuries go up on Thursday nights, something Smith agreed with while pointing out that he thinks the difference between games played on grass and artificial turf is overlooked.

“There is a statistical significant difference between injuries that occur on grass and injuries that occur on artificial turf,” Smith said. “And nobody’s talking about that. I mean, we’ve said that now for almost two years. I’ve heard far more about Thursday night than I’ve heard about the statistically significant difference between injuries that occur on grass and occur on artificial turf. And that, to me, is going to be a bigger — a big — issue at [the] rep meeting this year.”

There’s no sign that Thursday night games are going anywhere, but they could be played on uniform surfaces in the future if the issue is raised as Smith expects this year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-nfl-nflpa-views-on-thursday-night-football/

Shocker: Money drives NFL, NFLPA views on Thursday night football
Posted by Mike Florio on January 26, 2017

money-getty-chung-sun-jun1-e1485470200570.jpg
Getty Images

Stripping away any and all facts, alternative facts, rhetoric, and rationalizations about Thursday night football, the series will continue for one reason and one reason only: It generates a ton of extra money for the league.

The mere act of removing one game from the cluster of Sunday contests and broadcasting it on a stand alone basis three nights earlier is worth, in the estimation of the NFL Players Association, $1 billion dollars or more. Absent a mechanism for replacing that revenue, roughly half of which goes to the players, there’s no way the players will give it up.

Sure, some players will complain. Or many players will complain. (As Jamie Dukes explained on Thursday’s PFT Live, some will complain simply because people like to complain.) Members of the union’s governing committee, like Richard Sherman, may from time to time call it a “poopfest.”

In an appearance last month on PFT Live, NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith specifically mentioned the revenue when talking about short-week football. On Wednesday, while discussing his view that short-week football is actually better from a quality standpoint, Commissioner Roger Goodell was safeguarding the ability to keep harvesting that revenue.

There’s nothing wrong with that. Unless and until the league and the union find a way to make that money back, short-week football as a weekly thing is here to stay.

Even then, other ways to generate revenue (e.g., expanding the playoffs by one team per conference or adding regular-season games) could be viewed not ways to replace the revenue from Thursday night games but ways to add even more money as the sports grows and grows and grows some more.

So it doesn’t matter whether I complain, you complain, fans complain, players complain, broadcasters complain, anyone complains. The league and the union have one billion reasons for continuing to play short-week football. Which means it’s not going anywhere.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
So it's not enough that Goodell to say it, he gets his hand puppet to repeat what he says? Sure Goodell, just yell at us a little louder, we'll change our minds and agree with you.