Rodney McLeod

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
McLeod's is an above-average safety. He definitely showed improvement in 2015, but he isn't worth the contract the Iggles paid for. We'll see how Jenkins plays down the road, 2 games is a small sample size but I heard he covered Dez consistently so that's kinda disappointing.

He did cover Dez very well. Jenks looks bigger this year. He was physical with DB. I wondered what the big money would do to Jenks desire/ability to play at the level of his new contract. Like you stated it a small two game sampling but, he has looked very good early. Lot's of money going to Jenks and McLeod. Time will tell but Tre hasn't looked the part of a franchised CB while Sensabaugh has look below average.

Debacled

Starter
Different positions, different amounts of pay. Its the same thing Jimmy Graham got all pissy about with the Saints a few years ago tendering him as a TE (MUCH cheaper) than a WR, which he tried to fight for (and lost).

I liked McLeod. Good player, not great, but it was nice to see him rise out of nowhere. The team, any team really, does not have the resources to retain all of the players they want coming into contract years. That said never really liked the Coty signing, even with Gaines being a big question mark (especially now considering the injury bug seems to be an injury tick). They gave a guy whos never been better than mediocre a good chunk of change, and assuming if Gaines were back he would optimistically be the 4th corner (yes behind Joyner) and for being 4th on the depth chart that was just simply too much dinero.

Also appreciate the PFF ratings, but they aren't an end all be all. We assume the guys handing out grades understand the defenses responsibilities and what they are supposed to be doing, which often times is a stretch at best.

FRO

Legend
I don't get the Jenkins overpay stuff. Guy is a quality CB. He took a risk and made it to the open market. He got paid by doing so. I think the Rams should have ponied up and retained him. Good CBs are hard to find and developing talent just to let them walk is nonsense. Jenkins was a core piece.

Now Jenkins may not have wanted to resign. I know he was critical of the offense last year and he may have felt like staying with the Rams was a losing proposition. I don't know.

To me losing 2 out of your 3 young talented DBs was a massive blunder. It's hard to build a team when you have to constantly rebuild areas that were already built. Gaines suffered a rough injury that was very hard to come back from. Relying on him is risky. It may pay off. We'll see.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Rodney's value was in his solid tackling. Mo is bigger, stronger, and faster. They had a better option in the wings.

Sensabaugh was insurance for Gaines. Williams was familiar with him and probably thought his flaws were just a result of not having good enough coaching. But, Coty was clearly not a reaction to losing McLeod. He was a depth signing in case they didn't find quality UDFAs or waiver claims to fill in for Gaines. It just so happens that they were able to find better with Troy Hill.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Letting McLeod go was a very smart move imo. Hes a solid player, but hes the literal definition of a safety in that he was basically good for being our safety valve and thats it. He didnt really let anyone over the top, rarely missed tackles, and could even come down and cover in the slot. As good as that is to make that kind of money he needs to offer more. The flexibility to cover the slot is probably his most attractive attribute but thats what CBs are for. He needs to be a better ballhawker at that price range, and I dont think thats ever going to happen. Mo may never be that type of guy either, but hes cheaper and his ability to play in the box to make the defense better because it allows them to interchange Mo and TJ to keep offenses guessing.