Rodney McLeod

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I thought Rodney McLeod did a good job this past season. He's a restricted free agent this year and I'm for resigning him. With Barron and Alexander, both more physically gifted than McLeod, in the mix at safety, I'm wondering if McLeod's role would be reduced this coming year. He definitely has special teams value.

He's certainly not the worst option for starting safety, any have any idea of what kind of value other teams may view him?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am a very big Rodney McLeod fan. UDFA who loved HC Jeff Fisher. The Rod could have gone anywhere but he wasted no time hooking up with Jeff Fisher & being a St Louis Ram with Fisher! Rod wants to be here! Rod came in as a rookei & nail it on ST's gave his all & earned the right to start in Fisher's secondary.

McLeod’s versatility is a serious talent! He can play CB, FS, SS & the Nickel! You can not buy that talent off the shelf! I suspect that this off season the Rams Org. will resign offer the RFA FS a decent contract. He is not going anywhere. Fisher & Snead's faces light up every time they get a chance to speak about McLeod! They always have a ton to say about him. Plus his Ram teammates really like him. Bottom line here he is a very good young man. You never hear anything bad about him.

I suspect that the 2015 Training Camp competition will be much different than he had the three yrs previous. The Gaines event will come in play here too. Gaines is sure to cement himself in a starting role with Jenkins. Rams will get 3 yr vet McGee & Roberson will have a full NFL season with starts under his belt too...thus the 6-2 210 pound Trumaine Johnson will be looking for a spot to start with his 41 NFL games under his belt with over 20 starts. In addition high draft selection Joyner who started his rookie season as the primary Nickle back could get a lot of time playing deep where his skills & smarts can see things in front of him to bring his history of big plays in 2015. Plus the addition of Cody Davis who was McLeod's back up who has 27 NFL games now under his belt. Rod will have to improve to stay a starter.

Last edited:

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I think McCleod has gotten the benefit of the doubt from Rams fans low expectations. Last offseason pretty much everyone said the Rams had to draft or sign a FS, and many fans feared disaster when they didn't. To McCleod's credit he played much better, but that was up from his terrible play the previous year setting the bar so low. "Not a disaster" is not the same as "good".

I doubt any impartial observer would call McCleod's play anything better than average. He had a couple big hits and caught a couple INTs thrown right to him that help fans overlook the many blown coverages of last season and general lack of big plays made in the secondary. With our d-line, blitzes and pressure, the Rams should rank higher than just 18th in INTs.

Plus, McCleod's one year improvement doesn't automatically mean that growth curve will continue and he will blossom into an elite safety. At some point the natural talent barrier kicks in. I think this is his peak -- he's an average free safety and great special teamer.

Such a player is great to have on the roster and an easy fan favorite, but if the Rams want to be a Super Bowl team they still need to get a player with a higher potential ceiling at FS, a guy with the elite talent that will make unexpected plays on the ball that is the turnover that can turn a ballgame. So the plan should be what it was supposed to be last offseason (hm where have we heard that before?) -- pencil him in as the starter but draft/acquire another free safety.

I'm all for tendering an offer on him, but do not agree with those calling to give him a bigger than market contract afraid he'll leave. If he walks I think Joyner steps in at the same level of production, and the plan stays the same since at a minimum the Rams must have another FS. No way can they afford to put Barron back deep again after that Giants game comedy!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Very
I think McCleod has gotten the benefit of the doubt from Rams fans low expectations. Last offseason pretty much everyone said the Rams had to draft or sign a FS, and many fans feared disaster when they didn't. To McCleod's credit he played much better, but that was up from his terrible play the previous year setting the bar so low. "Not a disaster" is not the same as "good".

I doubt any impartial observer would call McCleod's play anything better than average. He had a couple big hits and caught a couple INTs thrown right to him that help fans overlook the many blown coverages of last season and general lack of big plays made in the secondary. With our d-line, blitzes and pressure, the Rams should rank higher than just 18th in INTs.

Plus, McCleod's one year improvement doesn't automatically mean that growth curve will continue and he will blossom into an elite safety. At some point the natural talent barrier kicks in. I think this is his peak -- he's an average free safety and great special teamer.

Such a player is great to have on the roster and an easy fan favorite, but if the Rams want to be a Super Bowl team they still need to get a player with a higher potential ceiling at FS, a guy with the elite talent that will make unexpected plays on the ball that is the turnover that can turn a ballgame. So the plan should be what it was supposed to be last offseason (hm where have we heard that before?) -- pencil him in as the starter but draft/acquire another free safety.

I'm all for tendering an offer on him, but do not agree with those calling to give him a bigger than market contract afraid he'll leave. If he walks I think Joyner steps in at the same level of production, and the plan stays the same since at a minimum the Rams must have another FS. No way can they afford to put Barron back deep again after that Giants game comedy!

Very well said, Fatbot.

Between Jenkins and McLeod, I've lost count of TD's given up as a result of miscommunication blown coverages.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I will be interested to se what the Rams do with McLeod this offseason. I think they will try to bring him back but they also have Davis, Bryant, and maybe even Joyner waiting in the wings.

I have not see the tender rates for 2015 published (usually do not come out until March) but based on last year's rates they should project to the approximate $$'s noted below give or take $10-$25K.

Level 1: 1,570,000 $ (ROFR)
Level 2: 1,570,000 $ or 110% of 2014 salary (Original Round Pick)
Level 3: 2,400,000 $ or 110% of 2014 salary (Second Round Pick)
Level 4: 3,410,000 $ or 110% of 2014 salary (First Round Pick)

Aside from a negotiated multiyear deal before FA, I cannot see the Rams slapping more than level 1 right of first refusal (ROFR) tag on him. Since McLeod was an undrafted FA, the team will get no draft compensation in 2015 if he leaves (assuming they go level 1) but they could actually get a late round compensatory pick in 2016.

I am somewhat on the fence about bringing him back because McLeod had some culpability in quite few of the big plays the Rams gave up over the top in 2014. I would like a FS that can be that true ballhawk and McLeod does not fit that mold. True ball-hawking abilities aside McLeod was mostly solid with several nice hits, like the "Legal" one on Sanders against Denver that demonstrated that he can bring the wood at times. I think he is one of those players that most would circle as needing to upgrade but someone they can accept as a solid starter. Elite free safeties seem hard to find in the draft and in free agency because I think many of the guys that fit the prototype FS list (hitters with size, range/speed, and coverage ability) often end up playing CB instead. McLeod is not elite but he is mostly solid and he has been pretty durable as well.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

The RFA McLeod as a starter should get an offer close to your second figure so your on target flv. Fisher is in much better shape in his secondary going into 2015 than he has been since he arrived. McLeod will get a decent offer. If he wants more..... Fisher has the talent already on the roster to take & fill McLeod's place. No way they over pay!

Between Jenkins and McLeod, I've lost count of TD's given up as a result of miscommunication blown coverages.

I would also add Trumaine Johnson's name here. Once Gaines went out with those back to back injuries & Johnson replaced him ........it rained blown coverages till the season went down with a thud!

Last edited:

V3

Hall of Fame
If him leaving means Joyner starts playing FS, then please, by all means, let him walk. McLeod is not a good starting FS. He's a good depth/backup player. That's it. If Fisher is going to continue to play him over Joyner then I'm going to get pretty upset because I didn't like seeing Joyner at slot CB or McLeod at FS.

TexasRam

Legend
trust me I'm a Rodney hater.

But who you going to target to replace him?

Early picks and FA will need to go to OL Qb.

Need to secure his services for depth and may need to start him one more year depending on who we can bring in for competition.

V3

Hall of Fame
trust me I'm a Rodney hater.

But who you going to target to replace him?

Early picks and FA will need to go to OL Qb.

Need to secure his services for depth and may need to start him one more year depending on who we can bring in for competition.
We already have Joyner. You don't need to get anyone. Gaines was a better slot CB, anyways. Move Joyner to FS.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I don't wanna see this guy back....I mean, Kendricks, Britt, and another guy I really only like because of depth & always suiting up Barksdale, should be signed first....Lets re-sign guys that are producing...or draft their replacements

I'd much rather see, TJ, Mark Barron, or even Mo Alexander getting McLeods reps

FRO

Legend
I think he is a solid starter. He can be improved upon, but I think we should use all of our resources this offseason on the offense. With Gaines emerging I wouldn't mind having Joyner switch to FS and compete back there.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
I honestly dont know why anyone wouldn't want him back.
Between him and TJ, the McSafety's were dominant towards the end of the season.
People like to blame him for all the missed coverages but Im willing to bet that a lot of those were on Jenkins and Joyner. He's a smart ball playing safety and we need to keep him.
Ok so hes not Earl Thomas but lets be honest... who is? He knows Williams system and Im willing to bet he'll have an even stronger season next year.

I'm a fan of this guy. hope the rams see sense and re sign him

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
If him leaving means Joyner starts playing FS, then please, by all means, let him walk. McLeod is not a good starting FS. He's a good depth/backup player. That's it. If Fisher is going to continue to play him over Joyner then I'm going to get pretty upset because I didn't like seeing Joyner at slot CB or McLeod at FS.

I saw Joyner fook up many times this year.. Just saying..

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
We already have Joyner. You don't need to get anyone. Gaines was a better slot CB, anyways. Move Joyner to FS.
Joyner made so many mistakes this year it wasn't funny.. Good God..

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
At this point, I consider Gaines and MacDonald our only reliable DBs. Every one else is either average or needs replacing.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't agree with that at all. I consider our secondary to be a strength now.

After all the blown coverages? The abysmal Giants game? The ease at which most teams seemed to pass on us when not under pressure from the DL. I'll give you average. Barron is good when playing a scheme suited for him. MR showed some flashes. Maybe Tru gets a pass due to injury. But RM and JJ gave up far more plays than they made. Joyner seemed lucky to line up right at times. No, the strength of the team to me are DL and RB.

V3

Hall of Fame
Joyner made so many mistakes this year it wasn't funny.. Good God..
He was better at FS than slot CB, IMO, and i'd like to get something out of our second round pick. I personally hated the Joyner pick.