Rodney Harrison on RG3; "he's a jerk"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...-griffin-iii-was-a-jerk-who-didnt-stay-humble

Since leading the Redskins to a division title and the playoffs as a rookie in 2012, Robert Griffin III has gone from savior to pariah. He currently finds himself buried on the depth chart behind Kirk Cousins and Colt McCoy, and it's difficult to imagine he'll be in DC under any circumstances in 2016.

Griffin's slide can be traced back to injuries, bad luck and attitude. NBC Sports NFL analyst and former Patriots safety Rodney Harrison addressed that last point -- and contrasted it with Cousins' demeanor -- during a recent radio appearance on CBS Sports Radio's Spiegel and Goff Show.

"Well, first and foremost, we see every week that there's a lot of bad quarterback play, so I think we're used to that," Harrison said in response to a comment about how Cousins doesn't face the same scrutiny that Griffin did when he was a (struggling) starter. "What we don't see is guys being jerks at the quarterback position. And Robert Griffin III was a jerk. He was a flat-out jerk. And when you look at Kirk Cousins, he comes and he says all the right things. And he's trying, he's fighting, his team is out there supporting him, he's doing everything he can to win.

"We understand that you're not going to be Tom Brady, you're not a future Hall of Famer,” Harrison continued. "But I think we do respect that a guy's out there fighting. You look at [Josh] McCown for the Cleveland Browns; he didn't play particularly well a couple weeks ago, he comes back and throws for [457] yards or whatever it was. But I think we respect guys that work hard and try to do the right thing and stay humble. Robert Griffin didn't do that, and he lost the respect of his teammates, as well as the guys in the media."

Harrison didn't specify why RG3 was a jerk, but this isn't the first time we've heard that he doesn't always play nicely with others. In February, then-Washington Post columnist Jason Reid wrote that Griffin "is one of the least self-aware people you'll ever meet, and his ineptitude in the pocket the past two seasons was outmatched only by his ego."

But any of RG3's social awkwardness -- perceived or otherwise -- would be easy to over look if he was playing well. As it stands, he's not even playing.

"I've seen enough. I don't think he fits in the system. I think you have to get rid of him," Harrison said last November, via the Washington Post. "They've surrounded [Griffin] with great weapons. I just think it comes down to RG3. I don't think he can read coverages. The offensive line is really bad. Defensively they gave up a lot of plays. They have a lot of issues on this team."

Now, 11 months later, they have fewer issues -- Griffin's on the bench and the offensive line and defense have been pleasant surprises through five games

VilleDeal

UDFA
Personally, i got tired of seeing him beg for calls in the Big 12, that's so tiring and obnoxious.
You've got to question anyone who got thrown out of a high school championship game as the team leader and quarterback, on the first series of the game by contacting a referee , again begging for a late hit call.
Then he gets babied by Briles @ Baylor... #trend?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When you look around at the team's starved for QB's, it's interesting Griffin's name is not discussed in trade.

Perhaps his contract makes it impossible to move him, but it would seem he's talented enough to get another chance.

Or... He really is a locker room tool and teams don't want anything to do with him?

Athos

Legend
Always knew he was a cancer when he was whining as a rookie when he first played the Rams in like his 2nd game ever.

I still maintain his oline doesn't like him.

He seeks out attention. And he's not even good enough to laugh it off.

And I gotta say, that Baylor O scares me so much for NFL players. One of the most system offenses in college imo.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
When you look around at the team's starved for QB's, it's interesting Griffin's name is not discussed in trade.

Perhaps his contract makes it impossible to move him, but it would seem he's talented enough to get another chance.

Or... He really is a locker room tool and teams don't want anything to do with him?

Probably the last one, combined with a very noticeable lack of football smarts.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Always knew he was a cancer when he was whining as a rookie when he first played the Rams in like his 2nd game ever.
Same, and then he had the gall to run to the press and try to call us dirty, even though the hit on him was perfectly legal, but we were playing too fast for him.

I think that's when people started taking note on how to get RG3 out of his game and comfort zone, and then it was all down hill.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

His contract doesn't help that, Washington triggered his 5th year option which gives him a $16 price tag next year. Now that isn't guaranteed, unless he gets hurt during the remainder of the 2015 season. It's hard enough to trade a guy with such mixed game fill and an injury history along with the cancer in the locker rumors. Then you throw on top possibly being on the hook for $16 million next year I don't see him getting traded at all.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
We're so lucky we didn't keep that pick. Our draft woulda gone in a whole different direction if we didn't have that extra pick. I know they don't credit the Aaron Donald pick with those extra picks because it was our own, but knowing how bad we needed offensive line help does anyone think Fisher woulda drafted Donald if that was the first pick? We got some extra 2nd rounders out of that too. And trading down we ended up with Brockers.

Maybe we don't get Tavon with the trade down without the extra pick that year? It goes on and one with how different those drafts woulda been if we picked RGIII. I know the Bradford thing didn't work out, but it woulda been a lot worse without those extra picks.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
RGIII and Colin Kaepernick have been exposed for what they are - good athletes but not good quarterbacks. Their inability to read opposing defenses and to be able to adjust on the fly causes them to revert to what they know best - running for their lives.

Don't know these two young men personally but it seems they both suffer from a lack of self-awareness. Maturity will solve that but by then it may be too late.

Throw Tim Tebow into the mix here. He has the same basic tools and flaws as RGIII and Kaepernick but at least seemed to be well liked by teammates.

As far as Rodney Harrison goes, I mostly like his commentary but kicking someone when they're down makes him a jerk as well.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This guy can still play....His former OC was a genius (shanahan?)....And if he'd win some games they'd put up with it....He needs to grow up...If I was Houston, I'd trade for him...3 more games like GB from Foles...I'm looking at Goff, RGIII, Johnny Football...you need a QB to compete for a title...you can win a few with a decent QB...but to really do damage in the playoffs, you need a qb...and a bunch of QB's are assholes

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
How anyone can put any stock into Rodney Harrison calling anyone a jerk is beyond belief. The guy is the epitome of the term.
As for RGIII, it appears he's his own worst enemy but a fresh start might be beneficial.

Athos

Legend
This guy can still play....His former OC was a genius (shanahan?)....And if he'd win some games they'd put up with it....He needs to grow up...If I was Houston, I'd trade for him...3 more games like GB from Foles...I'm looking at Goff, RGIII, Johnny Football...you need a QB to compete for a title...you can win a few with a decent QB...but to really do damage in the playoffs, you need a qb...and a bunch of QB's are assholes

RGMe?

Johnny Drinker?

That's just desperation man.

There will be a few quality QBs this year. Much better class than last year.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
RGMe?

Johnny Drinker?

That's just desperation man.
Desperate times call for desperate measures.....I'm scared bro...Top talent and we're still giving games away....

And there are several QB's this year...Really like Goff...

I wonder could Weinke fix Hackenberg or Cook? Dudes can't seem to complete 60% of their passes...Should help in drafting one of them in the 3rd-5th

TheBunk

Rookie
Its lame for this "experts" and "analysts" to pile on this dude at this point. He hasn't been relevant for the longest. Where was this opinion when he was kicking ass?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
And I gotta say, that Baylor O scares me so much for NFL players. One of the most system offenses in college imo.

He had one throw against OU that tipped into a WR's hands and went for a score. That made the hype . Always been overrated.

BTW I can't stand that Redskins team as long as Danny boy is owner.