Rodger Saffold savors wins against Raiders/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rodger Saffold savors wins against Raiders
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/14232/rodger-saffold-savors-wins-against-raiders

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- In the week leading up to Sunday's 52-0 win against the Oakland Raiders, St. Louis Rams offensive lineman Rodger Saffold said and did all the right things.

In revisiting the offseason fiasco in which he agreed to a lucrative contract with Oakland only to have it vetoed by a failed physical, Saffold acknowledged that he'd look forward to playing his almost team but didn't want to give too much credence to the revenge narrative. But after the game, Saffold conceded that the win tasted a little sweeter.

Dressed in a black suit with a black shirt and a black tie, Saffold said he was dressed for a Raiders funeral and he wished the Rams had put up 76 points. Alas, he had to settle for the 52-point win, a win that was tied for the fourth biggest shutout victory since the NFL-AFL merger.

"Guys on this team will always be right there and if we fall short we'll come out and play a complete game," Saffold said. "It’s a team win."

While Saffold got the ultimate satisfaction of the convincing win, the Raiders' decision to part ways with him did get further validation. The oft-injured Saffold has been dealing with a shoulder problem most of the season and left the game after playing 31 snaps. It's the same shoulder that led to Oakland failing him on his physical. Mike Person replaced Saffold in the lineup.

Saffold said the shoulder won't prevent him from playing next week in Washington, though.

"It’s not going to get better until after the season but the way I play, I play hard and sometimes it’s so hard I end up hurting myself," Saffold said. "But it’s all OK because I’m going to battle these next four games. I’m not finished until the season is finished."

Saffold plans to have surgery to fix the shoulder in the offseason, but for one day, the pain evaporated as the Rams rang up the points.

"It’s a great feeling," Saffold said. "My shoulder hurts less after a game like this."