Rodger Saffold Predicts Rams Will Bring Explosions All Over the Field

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
St. Louis Rams offensive lineman Rodger Saffold – now the most experienced player on the offensive line – joined The US Bank Afternoon Drive this week to discuss several topics, including new quarterback Nick Foles, offensive line coach Paul Boudreau and what he expects from the team come Week 1 against the Seattle Seahawks.

Listen to Saffold Interview

=========
On being one of the older guys on the team:

“This is the first year ever where our oldest guy is actually an eight year veteran. In years past, we’ve had 12 years, 10 years, when I came in as a rookie, my left guard was a fifth year. Even just across the board, we’ve had older veterans from free agency. I learned a lot from those guys.”

On what position he prefers to play:

“It just doesn’t even matter anymore. In the last game against Seattle, I played all four positions in one game. At the end of the day, it’s just about being able to play and contribute and get to win a championship. That’s the main goal every single year.”

On offensive line coach Paul Boudreau:

“What he does a good job of is keeping me in my toes. He knows I’m a veteran and he expects a lot from me, which is totally understandable. He constantly stays on me to let me know that even though you’re a vet, you’re not going to stop getting coached. I appreciate that because it’s good to stay focused when you know you have something to work on instead of just coming to work and thinking that you know everything already.”

On Nick Foles:

“He’s athletic, he really rips the ball out of there. I see the way he commands the offense and I like that. He’s good meshing with us personality wise. He’s definitely accepted that leadership role, especially as a young guy coming from another team.”

On his number 76:

“I’ve had this number ever since I started playing football. One, because my father played and also because Orlando Pace played with it. I had to talk to him before I could get the number. Every year I come out here and try to be the best, not just on this team, but in the league.”

On what we can expect from the Rams week one of the season:

“It has only been a few days, but right now, all I can tell is we’re going to be very physical and very fast with a high tempo offense and a fly around defense. There should be explosions all over the field.”

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...Will-Bring-Explosions-All-Over-the-Field.aspx

fearsomefour

Legend
I like Saffold.
Good quality player and from all appearances a good guy. If he can stay on the field (last year was a nice step forward) that left side could be nasty.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Explosions all over?

BOOM goes the dynamite!

(do I know my hip memes, or what?)

jjab360

Legend
ThriftySpottedCoati.gif

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The last Rams game I attended, Saffold was out in pre-game warm-ups pumping the whole team up...I thought it would be SJ#39, but he was doing some one-handed catch stuff. Saffold, was jumping around, yelling, and I wanted him on the team forever. So glad he was retained....That kinda scared me...He has had quite the journey on the line, first beating out Smith for LT...and now he's the LG next to the monster named G-Rob. I expect big things from the line (esp. that left side)...First, because I think coach Boo knows his stuff. Plus, due to our YOUTH, we should finally have some continuity....Dudes won't be dropping like flies...And it starts with Saffold...He needs to stay healthy all year.....
On his number 76:

“I’ve had this number ever since I started playing football. One, because my father played and also because Orlando Pace played with it. I had to talk to him before I could get the number. Every year I come out here and try to be the best, not just on this team, but in the league.”
Do we retire ANY effing numbers? Pace?!?!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Saffold.
Good quality player and from all appearances a good guy. If he can stay on the field (last year was a nice step forward) that left side could be nasty.
He's had his fair share of injuries in the past... but, usually, he figured out a way to stay on the field if at all possible. That spoke to me about his passion.

I remember him getting pummeled on another board about the injuries... as if any player can avoid being injured... never understood that angle by some fans.

I get being frustrated and all... but there was some downright hate for the man.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Echoing sentiments already expressed, I just want him to stay healthy. He has proven to be downright nasty when healthy and I think we may just shock the world this year when we star off 1-0 after beating the Seahags.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Big fan of his too and gotta say that hearing his comments is a good thing. Rams should be among the league leaders in explosive plays on both sides of the ball no matter how you define the term.

I will say his tendency to get injured concerns me, but he really impressed the way he played through them last season and hopefully with his shoulder surgery he won't be dealing with as much pain and motion issues. Meaning he might be ready to play a full 16 without any injury drama and get some effin recognition around the league.

Way I see it is he is very close to being elite. The timing of that along with what they have brought in plus GRob in his second year making a move might be that perfect mix of what you need to have a dominant unit. Talent is without doubt there, just like most positions with the Rams now.

fearsomefour

Legend
He's had his fair share of injuries in the past... but, usually, he figured out a way to stay on the field if at all possible. That spoke to me about his passion.

I remember him getting pummeled on another board about the injuries... as if any player can avoid being injured... never understood that angle by some fans.

I get being frustrated and all... but there was some downright hate for the man.
Right which is just silliness.
I think last year was a major step for him, although he dealt with his assortment of nagging injuries. Passion and or skill has never been an issue with Saffold.

fearsomefour

Legend

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
The last Rams game I attended, Saffold was out in pre-game warm-ups pumping the whole team up...I thought it would be SJ#39, but he was doing some one-handed catch stuff. Saffold, was jumping around, yelling, and I wanted him on the team forever. So glad he was retained....That kinda scared me...He has had quite the journey on the line, first beating out Smith for LT...and now he's the LG next to the monster named G-Rob. I expect big things from the line (esp. that left side)...First, because I think coach Boo knows his stuff. Plus, due to our YOUTH, we should finally have some continuity....Dudes won't be dropping like flies...And it starts with Saffold...He needs to stay healthy all year.....
Do we retire ANY effing numbers? Pace?!?!

Agree on all points. Was glad when we got him back and good question on Pace...