Rodger Saffold expects to start week 1... at right guard

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...affold-expects-to-start-week-1-at-right-guard

i

Rodger Saffold says his versatility helps him fill out the Rams' offensive line. Jeff Roberson/AP

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams offensive lineman Rodger Saffold is no stranger to changing positions. He's made a career of it since he entered the league in 2010.

Saffold has changed positions because of injuries to himself, injuries to others and outside free-agent signings. But never has he changed positions while injured simultaneously with the player whom he's trading spots. Until now.

After sitting out preseason games and practices since the exhibition opener against the Oakland Raiders with a right shoulder injury, Saffold returned to practice on a limited basis Tuesday. When he suffered the injury, he was the Rams' left guard. When he returns, Saffold said he'll be on the move again.

"I'm going to go ahead and say right guard," Saffold said. "Coaches really felt that the way things have been going, they felt like we would be firmer if we were in that protection. They understand my versatility and the way to have the best combination to keep it firm inside was for me to go play right. They have seen me play right guard before in years past so they have confidence in me in being able to switch. They think it would be more natural for him to play left.

"When those type of things get asked of you, I mean what am I here for? I'm here to be that versatile guy. You'll probably see me playing a bunch of different positions all year but that means nothing to me. My goal will stay the same."

So, as was clear in Saturday night's preseason loss to Indianapolis, Saffold is indeed moving back to right guard with rookie Jamon Brown flipping to the left side. At the time, Rams coach Jeff Fisher was coy about the move, saying he just wanted to give Brown some work on the left side. But he acknowledged Sunday that moving Saffold back to the right with Brown on the left was under consideration.

"I think Rodger's really comfortable on the right," Saffold said. "It'll be a consideration and that's particularly why we did it. Line him up and let him work with [left tackle] Greg [Robinson] and then put Rodger over next to [right tackle] Rob [Havenstein]."

Obviously, this late in the preseason, it's odd for a team with so many young offensive linemen to keep moving pieces around, but it would have made even less sense if the Rams had flopped Brown to the other side as a one-off experiment. In 2014, Saffold started all 16 games at left guard and Brown played nothing but right guard since arriving as a third-round pick in May.

But both players have experience playing on the other side. Saffold, in fact, played right guard at the end of the 2013 season and looked like a burgeoning star at the position. He moved last year to make room for veteran Davin Joseph, who had never played anywhere but the right side. Brown played a lot of left tackle at Louisville but hadn't played left guard since his freshman year.

Now, finally, the Rams seem like they're finally settled with their two guards and two tackles (center still has no definitive answer) and Saffold is closer to being back to full strength. Saffold said he took an awkward hit to the shoulder against the Raiders but could have returned to practice sooner.

Instead, the Rams have been patient with his recovery, allowing him to strengthen the shoulder and spend time working on his conditioning. In switching back to the right side, Saffold said the only real challenge is making sure he stretches properly.

"I'm pretty much comfortable anywhere at this point," Saffold said. "The only people that are mad at me are my hips man because when you switch positions, your hips get super tight. Other than that, everything is good."

For his part, Fisher said Saffold will be questionable to play in the preseason finale against the Kansas City Chiefs but he's likely to be ready for the Sept. 13 season opener against Seattle.

"Definitely, he's in a really good position for the opener," Fisher said. "He's played a lot of games. He's played the Seahawks. He understands, so I'm not concerned about that. The one that he's doing is he's getting the walk-thru reps so the communication is very sound up front with the young guys, so I'm not concerned."

FRO

Legend
I like Saffold at RG way better. He plays better there and I think playing two rookies next to each other is risky. I just find it curious they went through so much of camp with everything flipped. You read so much how playing different sides is difficult. You also read how line chemistry is so important. I've never played offensive line and I'm not an expert, but I wish they would have came to this conclusion way back at OTAs.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
So who is likely to start at RG this week against KC? You would think they would try and get reps into Brown at LG this week. Does Rhaney slide over? Wic\hmann perhaps? Surely any experiment with Washington is over!!

Thoughts?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Jamon ranked pretty high on the guard list playing LG against Indy according to PFF. If Saffold returns to his high form at RG, our center should have a much easier time, whomever it is.

Edit: IMO, for this reason, I'd like to see Barret get the job. Having the smartest guy there to call protections, can let the more physically gifted linemen around him concentrate on what their good at. Maybe I'm being short-sighted, but that's how I feel at this point.

Last edited:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
So who is likely to start at RG this week against KC? You would think they would try and get reps into Brown at LG this week. Does Rhaney slide over? Wic\hmann perhaps? Surely any experiment with Washington is over!!

Thoughts?

I would guess Rhaney again. He did well there. Is Wichman even ready to rock yet? Or maybe if it's Rhaney at centre this game, they move Jones to guard since he's familiar.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

Thoughts?

I'd like to see Rhaney get some more times with the ones there. He made some exciting plays for us. If he could work off some of his other troubles, he'd be a pretty stout backup.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Isn't it sorta frustrating that all of us have mentioned multiple times he looks better at RG? Sometimes I really do question the knowledge of NFL coaches.

FRO

Legend

Thoughts?
Rhaney will probably start. I would probably sit Brown as well. I would probably bench all my starters. No need to get hurt now.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@Legatron4 earlier in the summer, a bunch of us were saying in a thread, Saffold would be LG because he looked better, because you don't want 2 rookies side by side...yada, yada...now 2-3 months after OTA's, they're switching them...Seems strange...but football isn't rocket science, no matter how much they try to make it seem...LOL
So who is likely to start at RG this week against KC?

Is Wichman even ready to rock yet?
I'm going Wichmann fellas...He looked pretty damn good on further review (isn't that a show)...He had great punch on some plays...At least I'm hoping he gets a whole game in at RG....And I wanna see Rhaney start at Center....Maybe his confidence is up after flying around knock people down...Give Jones the second half..We already know what Barnes can do...

…..

Legend
This is good news. We now have confirmation that at least one person in the organization KNOWS what to do with the offensive line.

Thanks Roger!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I would probably bench all my starters.
oh hell naw:hellno: Fro...Not those young bucks, if they're healthy (Brown) they're playing...Foles needs those guys fine-tuned....So does Gurley...our surprise starter...:sneaky:(y):D:party:

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Rhaney will probably start. I would probably sit Brown as well. I would probably bench all my starters. No need to get hurt now.

I understand the thinking about benching Brown but do you think the opportunity to get reps at LG after spending most of camp and preseason at RG outweighs the risk of injury. You make a good point about not risking him but like @ChrisW says above, the balance of our line just looks better with Brown on the left and Roger on the right. I;m torn about saving the 1st stringers and getting reps into the rooks.

FRO

Legend
I understand the thinking about benching Brown but do you think the opportunity to get reps at LG after spending most of camp and preseason at RG outweighs the risk of injury. You make a good point about not risking him but like @ChrisW says above, the balance of our line just looks better with Brown on the left and Roger on the right. I;m torn about saving the 1st stringers and getting reps into the rooks.
Had he not got hurt last week I would agree with you. Get him rested up and ready for game one.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
No first stringers against the Chiefs everybody sits as we watch others try to make the final 53...I would even sit Brandon McGee, but he's already most likely out because of his latest ailment.
toothache.png

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'm just relieved to hear that Big Rog will be ready to go for the opener.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Fine line now sitting your rookie starters on the OL. The #1 thing they need is time on the field. I think you have to start them if they are not banged up. I'd surely sit Saffold though. And I'd at least start Brown to see how the ankle holds up but then I'd yank him early.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fine line now sitting your rookie starters on the OL. The #1 thing they need is time on the field. I think you have to start them if they are not banged up. I'd surely sit Saffold though. And I'd at least start Brown to see how the ankle holds up but then I'd yank him early.
Fisher started out his career here by playing his starters a lot in the 4th preseason game and then went away from it. If I remember correctly, it's because he wanted them to continue to gain confidence up until the season opener. Maybe it's time for him to get back to his roots.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I'm glad they finally came to their senses. Roger can be a pro bowl RG and it puts a little more experience next to the rook.
If they can stay healthy we have the makings of a good OL but unfortunately it's going to take some growing pains before it happens, IMO.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Jamon ranked pretty high on the guard list playing LG against Indy according to PFF. If Saffold returns to his high form at RG, our center should have a much easier time, whomever it is.

Edit: IMO, for this reason, I'd like to see Barret get the job. Having the smartest guy there to call protections, can let the more physically gifted linemen around him concentrate on what their good at. Maybe I'm being short-sighted, but that's how I feel at this point.
This^^^