Roddy White 'would've fought' Shanahan after Super Bowl.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Please.

Run the ball 3 times from the 23 yard line and burn clock and timeouts. Hell... have Ryan take a knee 3 times instead of the runs if you like. Kick the less than 40 yard field goal and be up by 11 points.

Game Over

That loss sits squarely on the shoulders of the coaches. The players already had the game won. The coaches managed to give the game away.

This Selassie, was my thinking 100% the second Julio made that Spectacular catch. That catch for me was the last miracle the Falcons had left in the game. The Patriots' offense was an unstoppable force before that catch and to have the ball 1st and 10 on the Pats 22 yard-line with a fluke play of that caliber was a gift to cherish and steal back 3 points desperately needed to end the fairy-tale comeback by the Pats.

1.) The people I watched the game with in LIVE TIME said the Julio catch was like a fluke miracle and the Falcons better appreciate their last big break of the game and run the ball 3 times up the middle regardless if they lose a yard or two each time.

MAKE THEM BURN 2 TIMEOUTS AND ONLY THINK about a Field-Goal and taking the 11 POINT LEAD.. DO THIS AND THE "GAME IS OVER".. The only way the Pats win is if the kicker shanks the field-goal. Maybe he misses the kick but that you can live with that and the blame falls on the players not the coaches.

Everyone in our group felt that the Pats were going to score a TD and likely make the 2 point conversion when they got the ball back so there was no room for error calling any kind of pass play now. Making the Pats burn 2 timeouts was just as crucial as playing for the 11 point lead.

2.) Shanny called a run on 1st and 10 at the 22 and lost one yard.. "BIG DEAL! RUN IT 2 MORE TIMES WE ALL SCREAMED!"

3.) 2nd down and 11 on the Pats 23 yard-line.. Before the snap, A few of us were again thinking out loud, "DON'T GET CUTE HERE," YOUR DEFENSE CAN'T STOP the PATS MOMENTUM AND IF YOU MAKE THEM BURN 2 TIME-OUTS AND GET THE FIELD-GOAL, YOU ARE THE CHAMPIONS.

With an 11 point lead and the Pats only having 1 timeout left..................

THE PATS WOULD NEED TO SCORE A TD, THE 2 POINT CONVERSION AND RECOVER AN ONSIDE KICK and then Make their own field goal......

4.) 2nd down and 11 on the 23 yard-line and Shanny freaking calls a pass play? then Matt Ryan for what ever brain-fart reason doesn't throw the ball away and takes the sack? The rest was predictable history because of the momentum the Pats had with their offense and Brady on fire.

5. There is nothing left to say from that 2nd down and 11 pass play Shanny called....... except that, I'm still waiting for the run on 2nd and 11 up the middle for no gain or maybe a one yard loss with the Pats burning their first timeout...... followed by another run on 3rd and 12 from the 24 yard-line up the middle and the Pats burning their 2nd timeout... Then the Falcons on 4th and 12 kicking the field-goal to go up by eleven (31-20) and like many have said a thousand times... GAME OVER!!

FINAL SCORE probably ends 31-28 because the Pats were likely going to score a TD on their last possession and make the 2 point conversion....

Why Kyle Shanahan?

And why Dan Quinn didn't you signal upstairs on 2nd and 11 to make extra sure that Kyle was only going to call runs the next 2 plays by your head coaching power of authority ?

Sad-Affleck.gif

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The players already had the game won.
Obviously not. It's never over until the clock reads 00:00

They had 1st and 10 from the 22, an easy fg, why be aggressive when 3 runs and an easy kick basically wins the game?
I doubt they considered it being overly aggressive, just their way. It was a simple pass. Throw the ball away. That's entirely on the QB for taking the sack. And on Alex Mack for getting BLOWN UP and allowing his man to make a play...At least I think the pressure came from there. I may be thinking about the run, that was stuffed, and that WAS Mack's man/block.

100% on the coaches for calling plays where sacks and holding penalties are even a remote possibility given the situation.
Audibles??? Ryan can't audible??? All that stuff he's yelling???

White states, he destroyed the dreams of the entire city.
You know White lost $40,000? And that's not ROD $$$$ either....LOLOLOL

The people I watched the game with in LIVE TIME said the Julio catch was like a fluke miracle and the Falcons better appreciate their last big break of the game and run the ball 3 times up the middle regardless if they lose a yard or two each time.
Julio was ballin. I say the reason they didn't convert on more 3rd downs was the silly plan to ignore Julio...maybe use him as a decoy....Real #1 wr....and he only gets 4 targets? Talk about point shaving...conspiracy theories...

Shanny called a run on 1st and 10 at the 22 and lost one yard.. "BIG DEAL! RUN IT 2 MORE TIMES WE ALL SCREAMED!"
What happens if the next play...a run...they fumble? or they hold? or face mask? This is football baby! Anything can happen. Pats defense made plays in the 4th quarter...Atl offense didn't.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I didn't think if ryan could have audibled. He should have. Just like wilson a few years back. I said then, that if I was wilson, I would be in the huddle saying, coach called a pass, fuck that, we're in beast mode. Ryan should have done the same.

Of course there can be a penalty or fumble on a run play but the odds are so, so much smaller that the play will get fucked up. You can throw out all the very remote what ifs you can think of, but the bottom line is the smart thing to do was make sure you get the fg, and the highest probable way of doing it in that situation was to run, or just spike it into the ground twice and kick the easy fg.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
The Pats won that game. The Falcons looked like bystanders once the machine woke up.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I gotcha. Don't necessarily disagree, just conveying what a bunch of NFL Radio folks have been saying.

Bigger issues, though - Ryan kept snapping the ball in the 4th quarter with well over ten seconds on the play clock. That's... that's just terrible game management.

Also, apparently Ryan wasn't allowed to audible under Shanahan - something about Shanahan's offense and ego not allowing for plays to change at the LOS. Not being able to change up the play at the LOS is really, really dumb against Belichick. I wonder if that's part of why Shanahan won't have an OC in San Fran - the ego.

AAAAND this is but one of a BUNCH of reasons I'm stoked we have McVay.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
They didn't get off the field on 3rd down. The Offense is always going to be debated not getting off the field on 3rd down is just football 101 on D and they failed.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I hope Shanahan has plenty more brainlocks in his future!! Sixteen of the game losing variety each year of his new contract would work very well for me!
:mrburnsevil:

tempests

Hall of Fame
They didn't get off the field on 3rd down. The Offense is always going to be debated not getting off the field on 3rd down is just football 101 on D and they failed.

Thank you.

Defense couldn't protect a 25 point lead but Roddy White wants to fight the OC.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
To be honest, I fully expected the Patsies to make that come back. The stage was perfectly set for all of this to happen. Goodell vs Brady and Brady's suspension pretty much assured us that this game would take place. The NFL is looking an awful lot more like the WWE these days. Sports entertainment. Granted, I love a good conspiracy theory, but I mean.....c'mon. That shit looked written for TV....

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
At some point, the D just can't function any more when they've been on the field 40+ minutes vs. 23 for the offense, and when the offense converted only 1 3rd down. When the D is gassed, it's up to the O to sustain a drive at least long enough for them to get their breath back, and Shanahan did continually fail to do so.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Anyone defending the coaches needs to read this!!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...wl-li-teams-won-99-8-of-games-they-led-by-25/

If Falcons fans thought their 28-3 lead was safe in Super Bowl LI, it’s easy to see why: Leads that big have been safe 99.8 percent of the time in NFL history.

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, prior to Super Bowl LI teams leading by 25 or more points at any time in any NFL game were 2,545-4-2 in the regular season and 102-2 in the postseason. Add it up and only six times in 2,655 games, or 0.2 percent of the time, has a team come back from a 25-point deficit to win a game.

In other words, only about once out of every 450 games in which a team takes a 25-point lead does that team end up losing.

They were up 25 with 18 minutes to play. Shanahan and his ego fucked this all up. He shit the bed, that cannot even be debated.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
At some point, the D just can't function any more when they've been on the field 40+ minutes vs. 23 for the offense, and when the offense converted only 1 3rd down. When the D is gassed, it's up to the O to sustain a drive at least long enough for them to get their breath back, and Shanahan did continually fail to do so.
True, but to get to 40 minutes you have to fail in the minutes prior, they did just that. Momentum is created on both sides of the ball and the D failed to get the offense the ball back quickly to find rhythm when they needed it most. Wins and losses are team events but that loss was not solely on the O. The D failed in the 2nd half. No excuse for giving up those long conversions on late downs.
I agree that the offense wasn't productive but they did leave the D with a 25 point lead into the last 1/3 of the game. Most D coordinators would take that deal

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
To be honest, I fully expected the Patsies to make that come back.

ccording to the Elias Sports Bureau, prior to Super Bowl LI teams leading by 25 or more points at any time in any NFL game were 2,545-4-2 in the regular season and 102-2 in the postseason. Add it up and only six times in 2,655 games, or 0.2 percent of the time, has a team come back from a 25-point deficit to win a game.

In other words, only about once out of every 450 games in which a team takes a 25-point lead does that team end up losing.
How many of those games were the Patriots with Brady playing while trailing?

Seriously Les....much like Faceplant, I fully expected Tom to come back...not all the way, but to make a run and NOT let this be another super bowl blowout. The Falcons players...Offensive & Defensive, choked the game away. Started playing like their assholes were tight.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Yes, the defense folded faster than superman on laundry day, and of course Ryan should have run down the clock more, but you can take those things and anything else that happened up to the 3 and a half mark when they had 1st and 10 from the 22 and just throw that shit out the window.

All those things lead to the situation they had put themselves in...which was in position to go up by 2 scores. No need for a td, or even a first down, just make sure you get the easy fg. Hell, they probably would have won had they just kicked it on first down.

At 3 and a half minutes, the game was there to be won by the OC, and it was his responsibility to understand that and to call plays accordingly. Which he did not.

As soon as the pass play was called, they were taking an unnecessary risk of a creating a significantly longer fg, or worse, regardless of anything else they had done or how the defense was playing.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
How many of those games were the Patriots with Brady playing while trailing?

Seriously Les....much like Faceplant, I fully expected Tom to come back...not all the way, but to make a run and NOT let this be another super bowl blowout. The Falcons players...Offensive & Defensive, choked the game away. Started playing like their assholes were tight.

Coaches are responsible for situational football/playcalling though.

Pass plays in that situation are a bad situational decision. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it LOL.