Roddy White: I don’t have the energy to be on a team that can’t win now

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...the-energy-to-be-on-a-team-that-cant-win-now/

Roddy White: I don’t have the energy to be on a team that can’t win now
Posted by Josh Alper on June 9, 2016

498312776-e1465493985302.jpg
Getty Images

When the Falcons released wide receiver Roddy White, 34, this offseason, he said he’d like to play for another year or two but White remains unemployed with offseason work coming to an end around the league.

White says that hasn’t been a big problem for him — “Who wants to do OTAs anyway?” — and that he’d still like to continue his career. White’s requirements for a new team leave him without many possible landing spots, however.

White says that he only wants to play with a team that can contend for a Super Bowl, a number he puts at “maybe six teams,” and says he’s set up should no such offers materialize.

“I’ve literally prepared myself for it,” White said, via the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “I’ve talked to my financial adviser and he said I’m fine if I decide to quit. But I’ve always played this game to win a Super Bowl. I thought I’d get with the Falcons and we’d win a championship and everything I wanted in my career would be fulfilled. I’ve been on good teams and bad teams, but at this point I don’t have the energy to be on teams that can’t win now.”

When asked how long he’d wait before choosing to close the door on playing again, White said he’d let it go into the first four or five weeks of the season before “putting my cleats on a power line, just like Marshawn Lynch.”

With no one biting thus far, White may need an injury to another player to open the door for a 12th NFL season.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Can't blame him. I'm 34 too and I can barely be arsed to get out of bed some days.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Some people are soft. Love to see Roddy White, with all his skills, trying to survive in the 1800's. STFU!!

#coyotefeed

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Well that's interesting....Some teams don't have the energy to waste a roster spot to see if you can play anymore either Roddy. So feeling is mutual.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well that's interesting....Some teams don't have the energy to waste a roster spot to see if you can play anymore either Roddy. So feeling is mutual.
:mrburnsevil::rolllaugh:Love this^!!

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
wow, some are taking this pretty personal....

Some people are soft. Love to see Roddy White, with all his skills, trying to survive in the 1800's. STFU!!

#coyotefeed

Your point being what exactly? He would have to work till death back in those days? He couldn't retire early and stop?He has made it clear he is financially set (something not likely in the 1800s). He makes it clear it isn't about the money, that he only wants to play if he has a real chance to get the one thing evading him a SB ring. He would get paid very little at this point and be risking his health...why do that if you have nothing to gain? Heck he likely can get a nice paying gig on TV or radio if he wants.

This has nothing to do with being able to work to survive, he isn't saying or implying he wouldn't do it if it meant feeding his family. This is like if you own the lottery and quit your job. Your set for life, no worries assuming you handle your money well...why get up early every day, have to deal with the BS? Yeah there are a few with dream jobs they would keep dong but 99% of the populace doesn't have that.

Do you say the same things about Faulks retirement (age 32-33), or how about Peyton who just hung it up....guess these guys wouldn't have survived the 1800s either I guess....

#coyotefeed
The man has enough saved up to retire at 34 if he chooses, he can afford to be picky as he wants at this point in his career. Nothing soft about that in my opinion.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
wow, some are taking this pretty personal....

Your point being what exactly? He would have to work till death back in those days? He couldn't retire early and stop?He has made it clear he is financially set (something not likely in the 1800s). He makes it clear it isn't about the money, that he only wants to play if he has a real chance to get the one thing evading him a SB ring. He would get paid very little at this point and be risking his health...why do that if you have nothing to gain? Heck he likely can get a nice paying gig on TV or radio if he wants.

This has nothing to do with being able to work to survive, he isn't saying or implying he wouldn't do it if it meant feeding his family. This is like if you own the lottery and quit your job. Your set for life, no worries assuming you handle your money well...why get up early every day, have to deal with the BS? Yeah there are a few with dream jobs they would keep dong but 99% of the populace doesn't have that.

Do you say the same things about Faulks retirement (age 32-33), or how about Peyton who just hung it up....guess these guys wouldn't have survived the 1800s either I guess....
Drasconis,

This isn't about me taking it personally. I think you miss my point. He is a man, and can decide whatever he wants. The 1800's reference is just to bring a little perspective. We don't choose when, or where we are born. We are all relatively blessed to live the lives we live. Especially a successful athlete.

I don't begrudge him one dime of what he has, he earned it.

It's just a bit much to hear White, or most of us, me included, sniveling about our lot in life. Thank God every day for what you have Roddy. Bad look to say you "don't have the energy" to play for a team that "can't win now".

That's "exactly what I'm talking about." The guy sounds like a cake eater. He needs to be more grateful. Go visit a hospital of kids suffering with cancer. Or some of our soldiers that had their limbs blown off by IEDs.

Maybe that'll give you the energy you need to catch a few passes, Roddy, rather than catching a life threatening disease, or a bullet for your country.

Yeah, maybe I did take it personally.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
The man has enough saved up to retire at 34 if he chooses, he can afford to be picky as he wants at this point in his career. Nothing soft about that in my opinion.

Sure. And it is not about the money, Hogs. As I said above, he can retire now. I wouldn't blame him. What makes him soft are his comments about not having the energy to play for a team (and I'm sure his ex-Falcon teammates would disagree) that "can't win now".

Guys have mustered up energy throughout the history of the game to play for teams that pundits give a fleeting chance to win. I'm sure Archie Manning can't identify with Roddy much. It's about character. Single moms muster up the energy to work two jobs to barely make rent, and feed their kids. Roddy is soft. Said it again.

How about this scenario: Todd Lyght, 1999, "I want out. I am sick of playing with a perennial loser. I'm 30 years old. I want to get traded to a team that can win now..." Todd didn't say that, of course, but who could have blamed him, (Adapting today's "soft" character approach.) Instead he enjoyed that incredible Super Bowl season.

Play the game and enjoy. Or get out. I can respect either choice. Just not the one you made, Roddy.

Does this clarify things a little bit?

Edit: Sorry to get so worked up. This just his a nerve with me. Not directing any ire at you guys. Peace

Last edited:
Edit: Sorry to get so worked up. This just his a nerve with me. Not directing any ire at you guys. Peace

No need to apologize, I get what you are saying. Very few get the chance to play the game at his level, and he only wants to do it now if it likely ends in a super bowl. While it is hard to say, because we know how many would do anything for the chance to suit up and play regardless of W/L, he is in the position of power to make the call.

I don't respect the decision he made, but I definitely respect everything he did to get him to the place to make that decision. Think we agree on that.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Drasconis,

This isn't about me taking it personally. I think you miss my point. He is a man, and can decide whatever he wants. The 1800's reference is just to bring a little perspective. We don't choose when, or where we are born. We are all relatively blessed to live the lives we live. Especially a successful athlete.

I don't begrudge him one dime of what he has, he earned it.

It's just a bit much to hear White, or most of us, me included, sniveling about our lot in life. Thank God every day for what you have Roddy. Bad look to say you "don't have the energy" to play for a team that "can't win now".

That's "exactly what I'm talking about." The guy sounds like a cake eater. He needs to be more grateful. Go visit a hospital of kids suffering with cancer. Or some of our soldiers that had their limbs blown off by IEDs.

Maybe that'll give you the energy you need to catch a few passes, Roddy, rather than catching a life threatening disease, or a bullet for your country.

Yeah, maybe I did take it personally.

Energy may have been a poor choice of words on his part...but I think most get it.

For instance when SJ was done in ATL no one expected him to go to Clevland or even a team like the Chargers. Players like RW and SJ are at the end of their career, they don't have time fora team to rebuild or grow. They aren't playing for the money, they know they are no longer #1 carry a team sorts...they go someplace and will be #2's and likely get a few mil at best. The only thing they are really playing for (Assuming they aren't finding themselves broke) is respect and glory....they usually want one or both of 2 things - a shot at a SB ring and/or a shot at the HoF. Going to a team, even a good team (say a Cin) and helping them out doesn't likely do that. If they are real about what they bring to the table they know they are a good but not a over the top player (major difference maker) now.

See to me he doesn't sound like a "cake eater" he sounds like a guy who has paid his dues and got himself to point where he gets to choose if he wants the hassle or not. It is like that relative that is close to retirement and set financially: they have the money to retire and have been doing something (say sales) for years. The get are up for two jobs due to a company restructure - one is pretty easy, established customer, good product, nice perks....the other is new product launch, no customer base (may involve cold calling), and massive travel (and not easy/good travel). If he gets the good job he will keep going building up his retirement egg more and probably have fun with the job, the other he just retires, no interest in going through the pain and effort for something that will take years to establish if it ever does.

you wouldn't consider the relative a "cake-eater" for retiring if the second job is what he gets would you. In the NFL careers are sped up. I don't take it as not being grateful for what he has gotten just acknowledging he has limited time left if he does keep playing and the only reason to do it is to reach very specific goals.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I was always totally indifferent to Roddy White, but when I watched the Falcons on Hard Knocks I found him extremely annoying / he rubbed me the wrong weay. Whether that was his real personality or an act he put on for the cameras, I have no idea.

I suppose I'm still indifferent to White, but if no team signs hims, I definitely cannot say I will miss his presence in the NFL.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Yeah, that would suck to have to go somewhere and play for only a few million and no guarantee of wining a Super Bowl.:cry:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was always totally indifferent to Roddy White, but when I watched the Falcons on Hard Knocks I found him extremely annoying / he rubbed me the wrong weay. Whether that was his real personality or an act he put on for the cameras, I have no idea.

I suppose I'm still indifferent to White, but if no team signs hims, I definitely cannot say I will miss his presence in the NFL.
Yeah....My "Don't-Give-A-D@mn-Meter" is pegged right now for Roddy White. he has the right to pick a good team to play for (that wants him), and we have the right to mock him for threatening to "take his ball and go home" attitude...screw him

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Doesn't want to do the work with his teammates. I mean why do that when you can just swoop in with some team later and have a chance at a ring?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't begrudge the man wanting to play for a team that has a chance for a ring. He's been a good player and deserves some respect. But I'd be more impressed if he said he wants to play for a team that needs a veteran presence and help them to get better. Brett Favre and others still had that fire towards the end of their careers. It seems like Roddy doesn't. At least he admitted it.

Debacled

Starter
I'm not a fan when the media spins a story into something a player didn't say.

With that said White essentially just cost himself a shot at any "contender". Dude literally cashed in on his last contract. Play has been middling or worse for the last 3 years with Julio Jones across from him and Matt Ryan slingin the ball.

I get the feeling that "maybe six teams" have roughly zero interest. One quick ticket out of an NFL contract offer is acting like its no longer a priority, especially after a couple years of declining play and being on the wrong side of 30....let alone 34.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Some of you take things too seriously.

Roddy White gave his all to the Falcons. He played with Michael Vick and his career really took off after Matt Ryan got there. They were sooo close to a SB, but fell short. Also ATL cut him. He didn't whine about it then, and he's not whining now. He has every right to try and sign with a contender. And did you guys skip the part where he's OK with retiring?

What if Jordy Nelson re-tears his ACL or something? That would be a perfect fit for him there.