Robinson to RT and Havenstein to RG?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...line-greg-robinson-at-rt-rob-havenstein-at-rg
Though offseason workouts and training camp will be the ultimate decider, Greg Robinson is expected to move from left tackle to right tackle, and Rob Havenstein is expected to shift from right tackle to right guard, Rams general manager Les Snead confirmed from the owners meetings on Monday.

I'm really shocked by this.

Although, it makes more sense when you hear this:
"He’s a very, very, very smart guy," Snead said of Havenstein. "Being inside, you have to be mentally agile in there, a lot more than you have to be at tackle. Things happen quicker, and there’s more options of who you block. Most of the time at tackle, it’s a very limited number of people based on what changes in a defense."

The Rams want to simplify things as much as possible for Robinson in hopes of getting the most out of him in what will likely be the final year of his rookie contract.

It is true that the closer you move to the middle of the OL, the more important football IQ and processing ability becomes.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
By deduction then, it takes less brain power to play right tackle than left tackle.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
This is what they were talking about back when they were discussing the Whitworth signing. I recall at one point--I think it was McVay--said specifically they wanted to try Greg at RT and move Rob Havenstein inside.

Like all of these sorts of statements, it seems to be mostly creative thinking. It sounds just as good or bad as anything else. What matters won't be how it sounded, but how Greg and Rob play at those positions, and whether it's more viable than any other alignment going into the season.

Here's hoping it's the answer! .... And if it's not, that we find a better one.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Interesting. Alex Boone is the only other 6'8 guard I can think of off the top of my head.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
wouldnt be surprised if part of the reasoning is the hope that he does good at RT with the new coaching and he can move back to LT when whitworth is done

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Thanks for the HaHaHa @Austin but I probably should have put a question mark after my sentence. I'm truly curious how much more difficult it is to learn plays on the left side versus the right side. I'm guessing GR would face less adversity at the RT spot and maybe the game would slow down for him.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
Thanks for the HaHaHa @Austin but I probably should have put a question mark after my sentence. I'm truly curious how much more difficult it is to learn plays on the left side versus the right side. I'm guessing GR would face less adversity at the RT spot and maybe the game would slow down for him.

No, for sure, it's just kind of a funny idea. I'm not an expert on o-line. I do know RT is supposed to generally face lower competition, and that's coupled with the fact they're defending the side the QB can traditionally see more easily. I would think the mental demands of the job are pretty similar (?)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
No, for sure, it's just kind of a funny idea. I'm not an expert on o-line. I do know RT is supposed to generally face lower competition, and that's coupled with the fact they're defending the side the QB can traditionally see more easily. I would think the mental demands of the job are pretty similar (?)

Exactly. Robinson had a lot to learn when the Rams signed him, having not had that much experience at the college level. They knew he would be a project that would require great patience. Heck, he'll still be only 24 when the season starts.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I wouldn't be surprised if GRob is relegated to backup OT & OG by opening day. I'm beginning to think there isn't a position 'easy' enough for him.

Sorry. I sincerely hope I'm wrong

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
So Fatty McBust gets a starting job because of his draft position, and one of the only decent linemen we have, has to move inside to a position he's unsuited for?

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Havenstein is developing into a decent RT. It wouldn't make sense to move him for the sake of Robinson having a place. Robinson can compete for a position at RG and if he fails there, he can sit the bench.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Havenstein is developing into a decent RT. It wouldn't make sense to move him for the sake of Robinson having a place. Robinson can compete for a position at RG and if he fails there, he can sit the bench.

If it turns out that he's best suited to sitting on the bench, I'd rather see them save a few bucks and have him sitting on his couch, reading the help wanted ads...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If it turns out that he's best suited to sitting on the bench, I'd rather see them save a few bucks and have him sitting on his couch, reading the help wanted ads...

His contract is fully guaranteed. There's nothing gained by cutting him. He makes the same amount of money either ways.

The mental demands are pretty similar, but the strong-side of the offense is usually the right side. That means it's easier to give Greg help at RT than it is at LT. Plus, you usually want your LT to be capable of handling pass rushers on an island.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Exactly. Robinson had a lot to learn when the Rams signed him, having not had that much experience at the college level. They knew he would be a project that would require great patience. Heck, he'll still be only 24 when the season starts.

That's what makes the draft pick @#2 overall silly. Still so mad they didn't trade that pick to the Bills.Thank God for Aaron Donald.

The Rams have this new thing it looks like going on with it's players called Monday Motivation. It's players showing clips of there workouts.

Aaron Donald is going to fit so well as a DE in Wade's 3/4. His body fat was down last year to under 5 for a DT ?? His footwork right now is unbelievable . His first 2 preseason games as a Ram made me think he was undersized . This guy is a motivation machine . Just a GREAT motor & a blessing he is a Ram !!!

GRob to his defense has been to off season trainings to get better. He & Donald went to same place predraft.
I think his holding calls were a fine line of being called.I believe the new LT will be a excellent mentor to him.
Rob Hav is a real smart cat !! Those 2 could pair up nicely !! Yes They will bring depth as Tackles as well if something goes down. I think Roger needs to stay at LG .

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It is true that the closer you move to the middle of the OL, the more important football IQ and processing ability becomes.

So that would explain getting GROB as far away to the middle as possible.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The mental demands are pretty similar, but the strong-side of the offense is usually the right side. That means it's easier to give Greg help at RT than it is at LT. Plus, you usually want your LT to be capable of handling pass rushers on an island.

And let's hope running right will be better for the Rams with GROB at RT because that should play to his strength.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So Fatty McBust gets a starting job because of his draft position, and one of the only decent linemen we have, has to move inside to a position he's unsuited for?
Saffold is by far our best lineman lol havenstein had one good year and one bad year. Jury is still out

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He had a pretty rough 2016 to be fair