Robinson to remain at LT-Jake Long's status unclear/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Greg Robinson to remain at left tackle, Jake Long's status unclear
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...main-at-left-tackle-jake-longs-status-unclear

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- With veteran tackle Jake Long's status in doubt for 2015 as he recovers from a second torn ACL in as many seasons, St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher left no doubt about who his left tackle is heading into 2015: Greg Robinson.

The 2014 No. 2 overall pick moved from left guard to left tackle after Long suffered his injury in the Oct. 26 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. Robinson went on to play almost every snap the rest of the way at that spot.

When the Rams drafted Robinson, they did so with the anticipation that Robinson could play inside in the short term but would be the team's future and long-term left tackle. The future is apparently now as the Rams wait to see where Long stands moving forward.

“We’re going to wait and see for Jake and see how he’s feeling," Fisher said. "He’s been in the building the last couple of days. All indications are that he wants to come back. Yeah, as we stand right now Greg’s going to be our left tackle.”

That should come as no surprise as the Rams invested such a valuable pick in Robinson and maintain high hopes that he can become a cornerstone piece for their offense. He had plenty of bumps along the way in his rookie season, especially in pass protection, but Robinson also flashed some of his immense promise along the way.

Long's situation is far more uncertain. Long wasn't around the team much after suffering his injury and definitely wasn't as involved or visible as quarterback Sam Bradford, who was also going through a second ACL injury in as many years. There's been some speculation that Long might be considering retiring but Fisher did mention that "indications are he wants to come back."

Should Long want to return, it's probably not going to be as simple as just going through rehab to get healthy. Long is scheduled to count $10.5 million against the salary cap in 2015 and $10 million against it in 2016. But the Rams could save up to $9.25 million in 2015 if they released him with the post-June 1 designation.

Like with Bradford, it seems highly unlikely the Rams would bring Long back at his current salary. And if Robinson is set to continue at left tackle, that would also mean the Rams would have to have a place for Long to play in addition to making the financials work.

That could be an issue that solves itself depending on what happens with the pending free agency of right tackle Joe Barksdale and right guard Davin Joseph. The Rams are going to need help on the offensive line one way or another.

“Jake’s a good enough athlete that he could play -- I’m not going to go out on a limb and say he could play center -- but yeah, he could play guard or play right tackle, I believe,” Fisher said.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Right tackle, maybe, but a guard that can't run would be very bad for the running game. I do believe that he would be better at center but that would bot be difficult as we don't have a usable center now. Also Robinson's first year reminded me of Pace's except the Rams didn't retard Pace by having him play guard for the first part of the year.

jap

Legend
Right tackle, maybe, but a guard that can't run would be very bad for the running game. I do believe that he would be better at center but that would bot be difficult as we don't have a usable center now. Also Robinson's first year reminded me of Pace's except the Rams didn't retard Pace by having him play guard for the first part of the year.

The Horns didn't "retard" GRob: he wasn't initially ready to compete at the pro level with respect to pass protection. 'Lando Pace was much better prepared in that respect, although he still struggled with wily veterans like the Vikes' John Randall early on.

I don't know if Big Jake can even play center. However, he would help solve our problems at RT or guard if his contract is not unbearably astronomical. Imagine Big Jake lined up next to GRob on the left side, with Beetlejuice and Barksdale|new RT on the right. We would really only have to fix the center spot, and make sure we have solid backup guards for both Jake & Beetlejuice.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
The Horns didn't "retard" GRob: he wasn't initially ready to compete at the pro level with respect to pass protection. 'Lando Pace was much better prepared in that respect, although he still struggled with wily veterans like the Vikes' John Randall early on.

I don't know if Big Jake can even play center. However, he would help solve our problems at RT or guard if his contract is not unbearably astronomical. Imagine Big Jake lined up next to GRob on the left side, with Beetlejuice and Barksdale|new RT on the right. We would really only have to fix the center spot, and make sure we have solid backup guards for both Jake & Beetlejuice.
Exactly. Just like it's easy to say that Mason is good, so the Rams should have played him earlier.

Our Auburn alumni are good NOW... that doesn't mean they were ready THEN.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well if they redo his deal I would like to see him at LG. His injuries seem to be from him overextending himself in space, he might be more healthy inside at OG and it would give the Rams a dominant left side with him and GRob road grading next to each other. Long is a very, very good run game blocker.

Without his deal being redone he's gone IMO. But yes it would be nice to see him in the mix without the big price tag, and add a FA like Iupati to the mix along with a strong interior OL prospect and this offensive line would be looking very nice.