Robinson & Matthews, no way

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Wouldn't break my heart at all. Every time I see Tom Fauxhawk Brady standing in the backfield for 9 seconds scanning the field, I die inside a little.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Wouldn't break my heart at all. Every time I see Tom Fauxhawk Brady standing in the backfield for 9 seconds scanning the field, I die inside a little.
Me as well, compounded by the announcers hanging all over his jock fawning about what a great QB he is. Give Sam that much time and I think he's every bit as good from a talent perspective. Obviously, he does not yet have that kind of experience in the league, but I think the talent is similar at least.

V3

Hall of Fame

How many high first round picks did they use on their O-line? You don't have to take O-lineman in the top 16 to have a good line.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
How many high first round picks did they use on their O-line? You don't have to take O-lineman in the top 16 to have a good line.
You don't HAVE to shag hot women either.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Todd McShay's latest Mock have the Rams taking Robinson at 2 and Zack Martin at 13. Not that I would be opposed to it, but in the end it will be Robinson/Matthews & Gilbert/Dennard IMO.

This is exactly what I see them doing too. Robinson/Matthews at #2 and one of the CBs at #13. The only thing that changes that is if Clowney is there at #2. Then getting a Zach Martin or Tyler Lewan at #13 would make sense.

V3

Hall of Fame
lol. Okay Don Juan.
:D

Pqxdr.jpg

lockdnram21

Legend
I've said it before... if we picked Robinson AND Matthews, I'd start calling for this regime's heads. I'd also do the same if we picked Robinson/Matthews then another OL before the 3rd round.

Why?

While I'm all for fixing the OL, the way I see it, we have 2 positions basically set this year. Long is going to be LT (especially with the confirmation recently that his recovery is in fact right on schedule) and while C isn't locked in, I honestly think our center is on the team already (and I don't know anyone claiming that a 1st round Center is a great idea anyway).

So, the positions in a certain amount of flux are LG, RG and RT. Unless something goes terribly wrong, Saffold is at one of the G positions (probably RG) and Barksdale remains at RT. So the need is LG.

If we draft two linemen with high picks, either one of the high picks rides the bench, or one of those two proven players rides the bench. That shouldn't happen.

A good GM can fix the OL without throwing ALL of our high value assets at it.

lockdnram21

Legend
I've said it before... if we picked Robinson AND Matthews, I'd start calling for this regime's heads. I'd also do the same if we picked Robinson/Matthews then another OL before the 3rd round.

Why?

While I'm all for fixing the OL, the way I see it, we have 2 positions basically set this year. Long is going to be LT (especially with the confirmation recently that his recovery is in fact right on schedule) and while C isn't locked in, I honestly think our center is on the team already (and I don't know anyone claiming that a 1st round Center is a great idea anyway).

our line is not that good. Hoe do you know long will be the same player. Many people say our line was decent and we didnt give up many sacks. Thats because Bradford and Clemens got the ball out quick. Barrksdale is overrated. why go for a decent line when we could have agreat one.

So, the positions in a certain amount of flux are LG, RG and RT. Unless something goes terribly wrong, Saffold is at one of the G positions (probably RG) and Barksdale remains at RT. So the need is LG.

If we draft two linemen with high picks, either one of the high picks rides the bench, or one of those two proven players rides the bench. That shouldn't happen.

A good GM can fix the OL without throwing ALL of our high value assets at it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My understanding on Martin he has never played any other OL position than OT @ ND. From all that I have seen from him is he would not be a good fit here with Boudreau's OL power blocking scheme. I understand that Martin played both OLG & OLT Senior Bowl but was moved back to OLT where he performed much better. The Rams were looking heavy @ OL'ers who could play both OG & OT and it would sound right that Martin would fit that. Center Barrett Jones has 34 1/8 arms whereas Martin has 32 7/8 arms.

To me Martin would excel in the OL scheme in NYG, Miami & Denver. Just saying

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
our line is not that good. Hoe do you know long will be the same player. Many people say our line was decent and we didnt give up many sacks. Thats because Bradford and Clemens got the ball out quick. Barrksdale is overrated. why go for a decent line when we could have agreat one.
With that kind of logic, one could justify making ALL our picks on the OL.

As I said, I want the line to be good, but a good GM can do that without throwing all our high value picks at it, ignoring everything else.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With that kind of logic, one could justify making ALL our picks on the OL.

As I said, I want the line to be good, but a good GM can do that without throwing all our high value picks at it, ignoring everything else.

What do you consider high value picks Boffo97?

Boffo97

Name
Dave
What do you consider high value picks Boffo97?
Definitely anything in the 1st two rounds. You should be getting starters with those picks without excuse, not pine riding insurance or someone forcing a proven talented at this level player to the pine. Arguably the 3rd round too.

Which is why I'm also banging the drum for no QBs until at least the 4th unless someone has a huge slide from the 1st.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Definitely anything in the 1st two rounds. You should be getting starters with those picks without excuse, not pine riding insurance or someone forcing a proven talented at this level player to the pine. Arguably the 3rd round too.

Which is why I'm also banging the drum for no QBs until at least the 4th unless someone has a huge slide from the 1st.
I don't think benches are made of pine anymore, Methuselah.

cQp3ssA.jpg
4eca3bd3630c3.preview-300.jpg

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
It would fill "me" with tumescent glow.

And then Carlos Hyde and watch teams put 10 in the box trying to stop our running game while Tavon and Chris took turns running unfettered down field for spectacular play action passes .
It's the best way to win our division and if you can win this division ,you got a good chance to make the big show.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My understanding on Martin he has never played any other OL position than OT @ ND. From all that I have seen from him is he would not be a good fit here with Boudreau's OL power blocking scheme. I understand that Martin played both OLG & OLT Senior Bowl but was moved back to OLT where he performed much better. The Rams were looking heavy @ OL'ers who could play both OG & OT and it would sound right that Martin would fit that. Center Barrett Jones has 34 1/8 arms whereas Martin has 32 7/8 arms.

To me Martin would excel in the OL scheme in NYG, Miami & Denver. Just saying
When he started at ND he played RT and then moved to LT, but he does have the versatility to play other postions that has been well documented, but he was their best OL and thus is why he was at LT. Started at ND as a true freshman.

As to the length of the arms it is what it is and that is important for an OT for the punch and to drive the DE away from the QB, but IMO Martin will be an outstand pro, but is more of a Guard than tackle.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Definitely anything in the 1st two rounds. You should be getting starters with those picks without excuse, not pine riding insurance or someone forcing a proven talented at this level player to the pine. Arguably the 3rd round too. Which is why I'm also banging the drum for no QBs until at least the 4th unless someone has a huge slide from the 1st.

I agree with you on QB comment but if a high talented QB did drop into your hands when does the BPA kick in? This 2014 draft has some very good talented prospects in it all the way through the 3rd round IMO. I would consider high value picks in his draft could be all the way through to the conclusion of the second round.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I don't think benches are made of pine anymore, Methuselah.

cQp3ssA.jpg
4eca3bd3630c3.preview-300.jpg
Allow a man to keep his cliches you inhuman monster! ;)

I agree with you on QB comment but if a high talented QB did drop into your hands when does the BPA kick in? This 2014 draft has some very good talented prospects in it all the way through the 3rd round IMO. I would consider high value picks in his draft could be all the way through to the conclusion of the second round.
My philosophy, and probably why I'm in the Watkins camp butting heads with those who even want ONE of Robinson/Matthews (although that's at least understandable) is "BPA Informed By Need". So unless there's an absolutely huge talent gap between the BPA and best at a position you need, you go with the latter.

So BPA kicks in only once there is said huge talent gap.

The philosophy is also sometimes called "Best Upgrade Available". So you ask questions like "Clowney, if the red flags about motivation aren't true, is very highly rated. But how much of an upgrade is he over Quinn and/or Long?"