Robinson, Donald ready for more big things/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Robinson, Donald ready for more big things
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_9b2d8832-1dfb-51c3-99aa-5ef31e8cd3c1.html

Any time you get drafted in the NFL, particularly in the first round, it’s a big deal. And it certainly was a big deal in Thibodaux, La., when one of the town’s native sons — Auburn offensive lineman Greg Robinson — was drafted No. 2 overall by the Rams.

“Thibodaux, it’s not big at all,” Robinson said. “There’s really not much going on in Thibodaux.”

There was last Thursday, Day 1 of the NFL draft, when the town of 14,000 held what amounted to a massive block party to watch Robinson get drafted.

“They opened the local park, and they had like a big projector on the basketball court, and the whole neighborhood came out and watched me get drafted,” Robinson said. “I saw a few videos (of the scene) and it was just crazy. They blocked off the streets and stuff. It’s just a blessing.”

But Robinson, who will start his NFL career at left guard, didn’t fully grasp the enormity of what happened until he entered the locker room Monday at Rams Park.

“Reality hit me as I walked through the door,” Robinson said. “Seeing your name on that locker.”

In the case of Robinson, 6-5, 332, there was more to the moment.

“Actually, it was a crazy thought I had from college,” Robinson said. “In college I couldn’t fit in my locker. I tried once in college when I got tired after practice.”

He leaned back to relax, and couldn’t fit in his locker stall. So after he saw that Robinson nameplate with No. 79 on it at Rams Park, he leaned back into his stall.

And?

“I can fit in my locker,” Robinson said, smiling.

Just another reason why they call it the big leagues.

The Rams’ other first-rounder, Pittsburgh defensive tackle Aaron Donald, had no problem fitting in his locker stall — then again, he’s four inches shorter and nearly 50 pounds lighter than Robinson.

But Donald had a similar sensation.

“I saw that I had a locker with my name and my number on it,” Donald said. “That’s when I knew that it was official. It was just like a dream come true — something you’ve been dreaming about since you were 5 or 6 years old. To see it all fall in place how it did, it’s just amazing.”

On a day when most of the assembled media in the team auditorium came to hear, see, and quiz Missouri defensive end Michael Sam, the traditional introductory news conference for first-round draft picks had a different feel to it.

But Robinson and Donald, who was taken No. 13 overall, still posed with their jerseys and were first up in the press conference pecking order. Granted, Sam is making history as the first openly gay player drafted in the NFL. But the on-the-field fortunes of the Rams’ football team rest more heavily on what Robinson and Donald accomplish, and how quickly they can have an impact.

And now it’s time for business.

“Start all over again from scratch,” Donald said. “I want to earn respect. Earn the trust from the coaches, and go out there and battle.”

At first blush, Donald is all business. The most highly-decorated defensive player in college football last season was invited to New York City for all the draft festivities. He respectfully declined.

“I’m not a red-carpet guy,” Donald said.

On Tuesday at Rams Park, he didn’t seem nearly as comfortable in front of the bank of cameras and more than 100 media members and team employees.

“I ain’t the big camera guy,” Donald said. “I’m just ready to go to work.”

After a long pre-draft process made even longer by a two-week pushback of the draft into May, Robinson echoed those thoughts.

“I’m anxious to get to work,” Robinson said.

Robinson was hired to plow the road for Zac Stacy, Tre Mason, and the ever-growing stable of Rams running backs. And also be a roadblock for anyone trying to get to Sam Bradford.

As for Donald, just the opposite. He wants to blow up roads, wreak havoc on backfields, and generally be a disrupter to opposing offenses.

Both first-rounders walk into good support systems, with veterans in their units and highly-respected position coaches.

For Donald, it’s Chris Long, Kendall Langford, Will Hayes and others as teammates, and Mike Waufle coaching up the D-line. For Robinson, it’s teammates such as Scott Wells, Jake Long, and Rodger Saffold, and offensive line coach Paul Boudreau.

As fate would have it, Donald and Robinson became “teammates” shortly after the college season because both trained — and against each other — at the API performance institute in Phoenix.

“I went (there) after the national championship,” Robinson said. “He was already there. He had like two weeks into the program ... He was one of the strongest guys there. So they put me with him and we were together for about a month.”

“We pushed each other,” Donald said. “We motivated each other. But we never thought that we’d be on the same team. We were just talking about that (Monday), like, ‘Wow, what’s the chance of this happening?’ ’’

But here they are. In the not-to-distance future, on one of those humid 95-degree St. Louis afternoons in training camp, Donald and Robinson will be going against each other again in 1-on-1 pass-blocking drills.

“It is what it is,” Robinson said. “It’s a competitive sport.”

“Just like we did at API, we’re gonna just work,” Donald said. “We’re gonna get each other ready for the season.”

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams notebook: Ex-Auburn players rib ex-Mizzou guys about SEC title game
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_d33d849d-abf5-587e-9a84-0f6abb9a0aef.html

Shortly before Tuesday afternoon’s news conference to introduce the rookies at Rams Park in Earth City, Auburn’s Greg Robinson and Tre Mason reminded Missouri’s E.J. Gaines and Michael Sam about the last time they were on the field together.

Running behind the blocking of Robinson and company in the SEC championship game in Atlanta, Mason rushed 46 times for 304 yards and four touchdowns as Auburn pulled away in a 59-42 win over Mizzou.

“Yeah, just not too long ago we were talking about it; it was just a fun game,’’ Mason said. “The whole game was just craziness.

“Now it’s just time to take the talents from their team and our team and put them together and try to win a Super Bowl.’’

“I’m kind of heated up a little bit,’’ kidded Sam about the good-natured ribbing. “Tre and Greg are great players and they’re going to be great teammates.’’

Gaines agreed: “Coming into the locker room and talking to them, first thing they said was, ‘Good game.’ A couple of jokes here and there. Other than that, they are definitely good people, so I’m excited to play with them.’’

But, as Mason pointed out, the Auburn bragging rights will only go so far among Rams’ rookies.

“I think Lamarcus has the most bragging rights,’’ he said.

That would be Rams second-round draft choice Larmarcus Joyner, whose Florida State Seminoles rallied in the game’s final seconds to knock off Auburn 34-31 in the BCS championship game in January.

TRE KNOWS BO

On the final carry of his collegiate career — a 37-yard touchdown run to put Auburn on top 31-27 with 1:19 to play in the BCS championship game that Florida State rallied to win — Mason took his season’s rushing total to 1,816 yards, surpassing Auburn legend Bo Jackson (1,786) and moving into third on the SEC’s single-season rushing list behind Georgia’s Herschel Walker (1,891 in 1981) and Arkansas’ Darren McFadden (1,830 in 2007).

“Bo is actually like an uncle to me,’’ Mason said. “He’s pretty much coached me through the time I was there at Auburn and how to carry myself as, what they say, an Auburn man.’’

And after he broke Jackson’s record?

“He was just telling me that he was really proud of me and that it was (deserved),’’ said Mason, a Heisman Trophy finalist. “God has blessed me and put me in that position. And now he wanted me to go off to the next level.’’

THE ROOKIES’ SCHEDULE

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said that the rookies, who arrived Monday afternoon, are in the midst of a two-day orientation phase.

“They got an opportunity to meet their coaches, they got an opportunity to meet everyone in the building,’’ the coach said. “They also got an opportunity to watch our skill-development (work) with the veterans, (but) they did not participate.

“We’re going to do meetings tomorrow, orientation, discuss a lot of different things tomorrow (with) physicals tomorrow night.’’

Thursday, after again watching the veterans during skill-development in the morning, the rookies will take the field for the first time that afternoon.

“We’ll basically be assessing them Thursday, Friday and Saturday,’’ Fisher said. “They will not be interacting with the veterans until next Monday.’’

Joyner, the second-round pick from Florida State, said that it’s been an adjustment.

“Leaving college, you almost feel like a man,’’ he said. “You accomplished a lot of things and then you get to this organization and you feel like a rookie, you feel like you’re starting over again in life.’’

DRAFT CLASS NUMBERS

Following is a rundown of the numbers assigned to the team’s draftees — T Greg Robininson (79), DT Aaron Donald (99), DB Lamarcus Joyner (20), RB Tre Mason (27), S Maurice Alexander (31), CB E.J. Gaines (33), QB Garrett Gilbert (5), OL Mitchell Van Dyk (66), S Christian Bryant (42), DE Michael Sam (96) and C Demetrius Rhaney (65).

Defensive end Mason Brodine has shifted to tight end and is now wearing No. 86.

THE PACKERS?

Alexander, a three-sport standout from Eureka High chosen in the fourth round, said he “can’t wait to be out there with the vets and coaches.’’

“I’m from here and I always dreamed of playing here,’’ the Utah State graduate said. “I know my mother is proud of me, and my family.’’

Alexander’s mother, Lynette McAlpine, is a Green Bay Packers fan.

But that is about to change. “She’s going to be a Rams fan,’’ Alexander said.

RAM-BLINGS

• Van Dyk, a 6-8, 315-pound offensive lineman from Portland State, was the lone no-show for Tuesday’s news conference to introduce the rookies to the media. Van Dyk, a seventh-round choice (226th overall) on Saturday, is still in school and expected to arrive for rookie minicamp later this week.

• The Rams have claimed Canadian long-snapper Jorgen Hus off waivers from the Seattle Seahawks. Hus was in camp with the Rams a year ago and earned some notoriety with a trick-shot snapping video.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I already love Aaron Donald's attitude! Kids way too humble not to reach his potential...I think we got ourselves another star