Robert Woods says the 3-2 Rams need to be 'nasty'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
https://www.espn.com/blog/los-angel...must-be-more-aggressive-nasty-after-3-2-start

By Lindsay Thiry ESPN
SEATTLE -- The Los Angeles Rams' offense, a well-oiled machine the last two seasons under coach Sean McVay, has been examined and scrutinized through five games and a 3-2 start.

Not enough of running back Todd Gurley, who has yet to rush for 100 yards in a single game? Too much of quarterback Jared Goff, who has passed for 912 yards and three touchdowns in two losses? An offensive line that's adapting to two first-year starters?

But on Thursday night, after a 30-29 loss to the Seattle Seahawks, Rams receiver Robert Woods offered a different explanation for the uneven start.
"I personally feel like we've got a lot of work to do," Woods told ESPN. "Just got to play better, play faster, play more aggressive and -- be nasty, I think, really.
"That's the biggest thing I would say. Be the aggressor. Be the hammer, not the nail."

Through five games, the Rams have yet to score a first-quarter touchdown. However, despite sluggish starts, the offense has been in position to tie or win the last two games in the final minutes. But they have not been able to capitalize.

"Is it disappointing? Absolutely," McVay said about the 3-2 start. "But it's something that is not going to be debilitating and prohibit our ability to move forward as a team."

When asked why he thought the Rams were not "nasty" enough, Woods said, "I don't know. Mindset."

In Week 4, with 1:18 to play and trailing 48-40 to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Goff was strip sacked by linebacker Shaq Barrett and defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh returned the takeaway for a 37-yard touchdown to seal a 55-40 victory.

On Thursday night, against the Seahawks, Goff could only watch as a pass bounced off tight end Gerald Everett's hands and was intercepted with 2:12 to play, trailing 30-29. The defense forced a Seattle three-and-out on the ensuing drive, giving the Rams a final chance to win with 1:38 remaining. But penalties plagued an otherwise sharply executed drive. Right tackle Rob Havenstein was flagged for a false start, and the Rams took a delay of game. Costly mistakes when you consider kicker Greg Zuerlein missed a 44-yard winning field goal attempt, wide right.

"I just didn't swing hard," Zuerlein said after the game as he left the locker room. "Usually if I leave the ball right, I open my foot and don't swing hard, and that's what happened. I thought it had a chance to come back in, but anytime I swing like that, it's usually not a recipe for success."

Goff said he was ready to go when the Rams got the ball back a final time.
"We're rolling on offense in most of the second half. Had some things that didn't go our way where we didn't finish drives," Goff said. "But we were moving the ball really well."

Ball security and penalties have been an issue throughout the season.

Goff has turned the ball over at least once in all five games, tying the longest streak of his career, according to ESPN Stats and Information research. He has thrown seven touchdowns, with seven interceptions. In the second quarter against the Seahawks, Gurley also lost a fumble in the red zone with the Seahawks ahead 14-6.

The offensive line has drawn 17 penalties through five games. Last season, the line accounted for six penalties in five games and 25 penalties through Week 17

oldnotdead

Legend
As much as I like Gurley he's dropping too many passes and now it's fumbling too. Peters is playing scared and Havenstein is mentally beat before the snap. His false starts are symptomatic of it. Those are my 3 that need to start playing nasty.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
As much as I like Gurley he's dropping too many passes and now it's fumbling too. Peters is playing scared and Havenstein is mentally beat before the snap. His false starts are symptomatic of it. Those are my 3 that need to start playing nasty.

California dreaming syndrome? Maybe the game and distractions of L.A. are distracting some of the players from their jobs. Some of them seem to have lost their edge.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
California dreaming syndrome? Maybe the game and distractions of L.A. are distracting some of the players from their jobs. Some of them seem to have lost their edge.

The Gurley dropped passes do get frustrating but when I really watch it he's dropping a pass that Goff is basically setting him up to be blown up, he drops the what might be 1 yard gain and we move on.

Havenstein had a pretty good game against Seattle. Clowney is a guy that has given him trouble in the past.

This whole line is working and learning together.

There is work to do but I truly feel like we have the coaching staff and players to grow together and get consistent production.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I often tell my wife she needs to be more "nasty" when we get down to business but she's too squeaky clean to go there.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Bob is a fuckn gamer and I was happy to see him mixing it up with the D last game. Time to get physical and punch these MFers in the mouth.

jap

Legend
Sounds like Robert is ready to challenge Isaac Bruce's personal best of 14 pancake blocks in a single game.

dang

Legend
Agree with Robert. We see you Donald Everett Matthews. Wake up Peters Talib Havenstein and whoever the hell we put at NT.