Robert Woods is looking out for No. 1 receiver role/LA Times

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Robert Woods is looking out for No. 1 receiver role

upload_2017-5-26_21-43-59.png

Rams wide receiver Robert Woods participates in organized team activities last week in Thousand Oaks. (Luis Sinco / Los Angeles Times)

By Gary Klein

In a recent ceremony at his old high school, legendary status was bestowed upon Robert Woods.

Gardena Serra made the new Rams receiver the first recipient of “Serra Legend” recognition. In honor of his performance on the field, and the character he displays on and off it, a patch bearing Woods’ name will adorn the jerseys of all future players who wear No. 2 for the Cavaliers.

The Rams were not in search of a legend this offseason when they wooed Woods home with a five-year, $34-million free-agent contract.

New coach Sean McVay wanted a dependable, sure-handed route runner, a respected veteran to set an example for younger players in the locker room.

Woods, however, insists he can be more.

After four NFL seasons mainly playing a secondary role for the Buffalo Bills, there is no doubt in Woods’ mind that he can be a primary receiver.

“I feel like I definitely am a No. 1,” he said in March after an introductory news conference.

Woods, 25, this week repeated his intent to earn that profile when the Rams began organized team activity workouts at Cal Lutheran.

“I always come in attacking the season trying to be the No. 1 receiver,” he said.

The 6-foot, 193-pound Woods must increase his production to achieve that status among fans and NFL observers.

After an All-American career at USC — where he established a school record with 252 receptions in three seasons — he has averaged nearly 51 catches per season since his selection in the second round of the 2013 draft.

Woods has not amassed more than 699 yards receiving in a season, has only three 100-yard receiving games and no multi-touchdown games.

But that was playing in mostly run-based offenses that featured quarterbacks Tyrod Taylor and E.J. Manuel, running back LeSean McCoy and receiver Sammy Watkins.

Last season, the Bills led the NFL in rushing but ranked 30th in passing, one spot ahead of the Rams.

Woods caught 51 passes for 613 yards and a touchdown.

Woods, though, points to a November game against the Seattle Seahawks. He was targeted 13 times and responded with 10 catches for 162 yards, both career bests.

The Rams apparently took notice.

With McVay intent on instilling a new culture, the Rams let 1,000-yard receiver Kenny Britt leave as a free agent. They also did not re-sign receiver Brian Quick.

The Rams pursued receiver Pierre Garcon, who produced under McVay with the Washington Redskins. But when the price got too steep, they turned their attention to Woods.

“A pro’s pro,” McVay said after the first OTA workout.

Woods did not spend much time celebrating his new contract. A few days after signing with the Rams, he began working out with quarterback Jared Goff at a high school near the Rams’ training facility in Thousand Oaks.

“Just trying to get our timing down early,” Woods said, “just so our first impression with McVay and [offensive coordinator] Matt LaFleur was a good one.”

A connection is clearly forming.

During a workout a few weeks ago, Woods said, he and Goff missed on a play when the defense presented a certain look. On Tuesday, the first day of OTA practice, they got the same look.

“And this time, he threw it and it was a perfect pass,” Woods said. “He just puts the ball in perfect position for the receivers to make plays.”

Goff said Woods has been “more than I could have really expected,” noting his competitiveness and adding, “It’s really exciting for me to have a guy like that, multiple guys like that, but him in particular.”

Woods is part of a receiving corps that includes veteran Tavon Austin, second-year pros such as Pharoh Cooper and Mike Thomas and rookies Cooper Kupp and Josh Reynolds, among others.

Austin, who signed a four-year, $42-million extension before last season, is not participating in OTA workouts while recovering from wrist surgery. But McVay has spoken of making him one of the centerpieces of the offense.

Woods, in the meantime, is making an impression.

Rams receivers coach Eric Yarber was on college staffs at Washington and Arizona State when he began tracking Woods at Serra.

“I remember when he was in the ninth grade,” Yarber said. “I had friends on that [Serra] staff that were like, ‘That’s the one you need to be recruiting. Keep an eye on him.’”

Woods has already made an impact on the Rams, Yarber said.

“He sets an example for the room of how to be a pro,” Yarber said. “When you watch him prepare, he’s taking diligent notes, he’s asking very intelligent questions. He just knows how to prepare.

“He values the process over the prize. That’s what the really good ones do.”

Kupp, a third-round pick from Eastern Washington, sees a mentor in Woods.

“I’m just trying to soak up as much as I can and ask as many questions as I can,” Kupp said. “He’s a valuable source of knowledge and information for me.”

The Rams will conduct seven more OTA workouts and then hold a mandatory minicamp before breaking in mid-June. They will return for training camp in late July.

Woods is looking forward to the season and becoming a key component in McVay’s offense.

Last season, with McVay calling plays for the Redskins, Garcon and receiver DeSean Jackson each had at least 100 targets and amassed more than 1,000 yards receiving.

“They find ways to get receivers the ball and become a No. 1,” Woods said at his introductory news conference, “Or two No. 1s.”

[www.latimes.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't want to put any pressure on Robert Woods, but he reminds me of Isaac Bruce, so here's hoping he can have a major impact and disprove Thomas Wolfe's theory.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Woods saw 23 of his 71 targets running hitch routes last season, where he caught 19 of them for an average of 12.3 yards per reception.
  • Woods had an average depth of 9.4 yards on his 23 targets running hitch routes.
  • Jared Goff had completion percentage of 68.9 on crossing routes with two touchdowns and four drops by his receivers, the most on any route. Woods fielded his second highest passer rating (112.5) when targeted on crossing routes.

woods.png

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-robert-woods-and-jared-goff-working-overtime-at-otas/

taylor.0.gif

45QZxFB.gif

OVtewHh.gif

r212204_576x324_16-9.jpg

600x360-woods-phototemplate.jpg

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I don't want to put any pressure on Robert Woods, but he reminds me of Isaac Bruce, so here's hoping he can have a major impact and disprove Thomas Wolfe's theory.

Den you have to stop it, you are making me salivate. First I see the post regarding the 1973 Rams and Chuck Knox, and now I'm seeing these posts. . .

I cannot wait to see the team this season!

UnknownREknown

Well-unKnown Member
Excited about our receiving corps this year! Its good when im thinking about Reynolds, Kupp and maybe actually seeing Spruce suit up and completely forgetting we have Woods waiting to take the #1 role.

Gonna be a hell of a camp for these guys. It will take more than a, "He's catching everything thrown his way" type outing to seperate themselves.

On an off topic note, that helmet and visor make for such a badass combo!

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Den you have to stop it, you are making me salivate. First I see the post regarding the 1973 Rams and Chuck Knox, and now I'm seeing these posts. . .

I cannot wait to see the team this season!
Me too. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas morning.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Woods did not spend much time celebrating his new contract. A few days after signing with the Rams, he began working out with quarterback Jared Goff at a high school near the Rams’ training facility in Thousand Oaks.

As opposed to last year when none of the wideouts showed up... What a difference. A leader in the WR room thank F.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As opposed to last year when none of the wideouts showed up... What a difference. A leader in the WR room thank F.

I concur and that is what McVay is looking for, Offensive Tackle Andrew Whitworth also a shining example of how McVay wants his offensive linemen to prepare and Whitworth is a great leader in the locker room as well. Many pundits gave the Rams a low grade for the Woods contract, but what they fail to realize is the overall plan and Woods will also be a major asset in the run game with his blocking too.

Last edited:

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I really liked Woods coming out of college but he has seemingly underwhelmed me so far. I hope it was just because Buffalo didn't throw that much and had Watkins to pull catches away. I hope he becomes who I thought he would be. I don't really give a shit who our number 1 is as long as he is a legit number one and not a 3 just pretending.

jap

Legend

I have made the same comparison in previous posts, so you are certainly not alone. Like Bruce, Robert does everything well. He is one guy I wanted the Horns to draft. I am excited to see how this season will turn out.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think we got Woods at the perfect time. 25yrs old (which is very young) but 4yrs experienced.

He's been steady on the field, but no reason to think as he enters his prime (and a better QB/offense combination) we could see him consistently around 1000yds every year.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I

He's been steady on the field, but no reason to think as he enters his prime (and a better QB/offense combination) we could see him consistently around 1000yds every year.
That is a very good point as the Bills ran the football there offense was better because of Kromer and Anthony Lynn (now Head Coach of the Chargers)but the focus was running the football. Woods now comes to Los Angeles, with a young gunslinger QB who is looking for targets he trusts and IMHO Woods will be a key to the rebirth of the Rams offensively.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
His story reminds me of Golden Taint when he went to Detroit.

But without the shit attitude and stupid beard thing he has on his face....fuck I hate Taint.... end of rant lol

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Woods saw 23 of his 71 targets running hitch routes last season, where he caught 19 of them for an average of 12.3 yards per reception.
  • Woods had an average depth of 9.4 yards on his 23 targets running hitch routes.
  • Jared Goff had completion percentage of 68.9 on crossing routes with two touchdowns and four drops by his receivers, the most on any route. Woods fielded his second highest passer rating (112.5) when targeted on crossing routes.
woods.png

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-robert-woods-and-jared-goff-working-overtime-at-otas/

taylor.0.gif

45QZxFB.gif

OVtewHh.gif

r212204_576x324_16-9.jpg

600x360-woods-phototemplate.jpg

This^ is getting me really Pumped-Up! Can't wait to see him in action in Pre-Season!!

Zero

Pro Bowler
As opposed to last year when none of the wideouts showed up
There is nothing more important to a young QB than a WR that he can
trust.Trust to be where they are suppose to be and when they are suppose
to be.Many young QB's need that on the field crutch to help them build the confidence to expand.
I have seen Ike/Ellard serve that role more than once.
Goff was looking for someone to build that trust with last year.
But nobody showed up.So glad we cleaned house of those losers.
Woods will serve a very important role in Goff's development and
he couldn't have got here at a better time.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think we got Woods at the perfect time. 25yrs old (which is very young) but 4yrs experienced.

I agree. He's a player that is already solid, with room to improve.

His story reminds me of Golden Taint when he went to Detroit.
Excellent comparison.

Zero

Pro Bowler
I think we got Woods at the perfect time.
Agree.However I was thinking more so from the aspect of Goff's development.
A young QB without a WR/TE that he can completely trust is not a good situation.
Last year he had nothing of the sort.

EasyE

Starter
why do the Horns look wider in the original post?....is that an illusion?....I have high hopes for Woods...