Robert Woods - how have I missed this guy?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
The more i see of this guy, the more i'm favouring him for a Ram draft day pick - I have a feeling he could become a solid NFL WR - for years to come...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmnl9FaFKHY[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HntP81YXPxY[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQh70Z6PKrk[/youtube]

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Yea, what happened to him? I remember i think it was 2yrs ago he was projected as the best wr in college. Is he a senior?

jap

Legend
shaunpinney said:
The more i see of this guy, the more i'm favouring him for a Ram draft day pick - I have a feeling he could become a solid NFL WR - for years to come...

I didn't forget him; he's been a solid option for me for over a year now. A 'natural' plucker who can line up anywhere who can probably be had by our second round choice. :ww:

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
fastcat said:
Yea, what happened to him? I remember i think it was 2yrs ago he was projected as the best wr in college. Is he a senior?

Nope he's forgoing his senior season to enter the Draft - he's had a nagging foot issue the past season by the looks of things which stopped him taking part in the Combine...

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
jap said:
shaunpinney said:

I didn't forget him; he's been a solid option for me for over a year now. A 'natural' plucker who can line up anywhere who can probably be had by our second round choice. :ww:

Glad someone remembered him :) something tells me this kid could have more durability and usability than Austin...

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
ouch.... just saw this - that hit just had to freakin' hurt!

uscstumble_medium.gif

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Woods is a solid player. I haven't really pushed for him because I'm not sure about his ultimate upside. He's fairly polished and a guy who will contribute but he seems like a jack of all trades master of none type to me and is only a solid athlete.

There are quite a few better WRs that I like in the 2nd...which is where he's expected to go. He might fall further than expected though. He kind of reminds me of a lot of the recent Southern Cal WRs...you know Damian Williams, Steve Smith and Ronald Johnson.

I'm just not blown away by him.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
jrry32 said:
Woods is a solid player. I haven't really pushed for him because I'm not sure about his ultimate upside. He's fairly polished and a guy who will contribute but he seems like a jack of all trades master of none type to me and is only a solid athlete.

There are quite a few better WRs that I like in the 2nd...which is where he's expected to go. He might fall further than expected though. He kind of reminds me of a lot of the recent Southern Cal WRs...you know Damian Williams, Steve Smith and Ronald Johnson.

Its the fact that he's already polished is what I like - I'd love to have a guy that can contribute from day 1, seems to be an excellent route runner with safe hands a 40 time of 4.51 - not bad assets for someone who could step into the side and be in the mix of things, wherever we need him... I've also seen him do some awsome blocking!

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Two words: Press Coverage..I have not seen if he can separate YET. But yeah he is def a playmaker.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He did perform at the combine (very well too), just without fanfare. He is a very good receiver that I have seen play quite a bit. He is ultra smooth, can run any route, but injury, and the immediate emergence of their other receiver, Marquise Lee, who is terrific by the way, made Woods the other guy.

Woods can return punts and kicks too.

Third round sounds about right, but he could easily go in the 2nd if someone falls in love. He has quite the resume. He is fast too, don't be fooled by his low 4.5 speed, he has elite top end speed. He reminds he of Bruce/Jennings, but faster. His hands were clearly amongst the best at the combine, they are super quiet. His injuries seem to be behind him, he will have no problem getting separation.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
ljramsfan said:
Two words: Press Coverage..I have not seen if he can separate YET. But yeah he is def a playmaker.

I think you may be right - the press can make (and break) careers and can also make sure people rise and fall on the Draft board - lets hope he falls our way :)

DR RAM said:
He did perform at the combine (very well too), just without fanfare. He is a very good receiver that I have seen play quite a bit. He is ultra smooth, can run any route, but injury, and the immediate emergence of their other receiver, Marquise Lee, who is terrific by the way, made Woods the other guy.

Third round sounds about right, but he could easily go in the 2nd if someone falls in love. He has quite the resume. He is fast too, don't be fooled by his low 4.5 speed, he has elite top end speed. He reminds he of Bruce/Jennings, but faster. His hands were clearly amongst the best at the combine, they are super quiet. His injuries seem to be behind him, he will have no problem getting separation.

I must have been swept up in the Tavon Tidal Wave at combine - it was a returned punt that drew me to his attention, out of all of the WRs there's something about the way he catches the ball i really like, i can see him catching the ball from Sam with ease... I think what I'm trying to say is that it seems he catches the ball as if he's meant to, with ease - it's not a mechanical action, but a natural one...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
shaunpinney said:
ljramsfan said:

I think you may be right - the press can make (and break) careers and can also make sure people rise and fall on the Draft board - lets hope he falls our way :)

DR RAM said:

I must have been swept up in the Tavon Tidal Wave at combine - it was a returned punt that drew me to his attention, out of all of the WRs there's something about the way he catches the ball i really like, i can see him catching the ball from Sam with ease... I think what I'm trying to say is that it seems he catches the ball as if he's meant to, with ease - it's not a mechanical action, but a natural one...
i agree, he doesn't fight the ball at all, very smooth, natural catcher of footballs.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Marqise Lee also happened. Woods is a solid prospect but has been completely dwarfed by his teammate. If you're going to take a WR in the late first/early second round, it's not promising when you turn on the tape and see another WR outperforming him on a weekly basis.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I disagree. He's so overrated.

Pros:

-Runs good route & has good hands

Cons:

-Clocks a good 40 speed, but doesn't have great field speed
-Limited separation
-I watched his whole highlight video from 2012, I didn't count more than 2 routes over 25 yards
-Double reverses he runs & quick hitters won't be as affective in the NFL; those were his bread & butter in college
-All of his big games were against inferior opponents (Syracuse, etc.). Was nearly non-existent in games against big time competition (Stanford, Oregon, etc.)

I wouldn't touch him before the 3rd round, but he'll go in the 2nd. Pass

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
rams24/7 said:

Pros:

Cons:

-Limited separation
-I watched his whole highlight video from 2012, I didn't count more than 2 routes over 25 yards
-Double reverses he runs & quick hitters won't be as affective in the NFL; those were his bread & butter in college
-All of his big games were against inferior opponents (Syracuse, etc.). Was nearly non-existent in games against big time competition (Stanford, Oregon, etc.)

Watch some 2011 tape if you get a chance.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
shaunpinney said:
jrry32 said:

Its the fact that he's already polished is what I like - I'd love to have a guy that can contribute from day 1, seems to be an excellent route runner with safe hands a 40 time of 4.51 - not bad assets for someone who could step into the side and be in the mix of things, wherever we need him... I've also seen him do some awsome blocking!

While being safe and polished is appealing, I'd rather take a chance on a less polished, more talented prospect.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
DR RAM said:
rams24/7 said:

Pros:

Cons:

-Limited separation

I've watched him every year at SC (I'm from SD). He's not elite at any single area. He's overhyped by many

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
rams24/7 said:

Pros:

Cons:

-Limited separation

Exactly right :ayup:

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
rams24/7 said:
DR RAM said:
rams24/7 said:

Pros:

Cons:

-Limited separation

I've watched him every year at SC (I'm from SD). He's not elite at any single area. He's overhyped by many
I watched every game he played....as mentioned injuries slowed him in 2012, and Marquis Lee shined brightest (exceptional talent). But he's still a worthy prospect and damn fine receiver. :ahight:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
ramsince62 said:
rams24/7 said:
DR RAM said:
rams24/7 said:

Pros:

Cons:

-Limited separation

I watched every game he played....as mentioned injuries slowed him in 2012, and Marquis Lee shined brightest (exceptional talent). But he's still a worthy prospect and damn fine receiver. :ahight:
This^^^

And to the over-hyped statement. Who is over-hyping him? He's viewed as a late second to third round receiver. He wasn't even mentioned during the combine, or by BSPN. I've probably seen almost every game that he has played. He is a solid receiver, IMO. Lee is exceptional, but that doesn't diminish Woods to me.

He played with injuries, and had a crappy LT in 2012, just ask Barkley how that went. Kalil helped make him (Bark), and may have broke him with coming out early last season.