Robert Quinn's role

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I'm not too worried about defense because wade will figure it out and there is enough talent on this team. My obly question on defense is Robert quinn.first of all, can he stay healthy? And secondly he seems like a great fit at where von Miller played but I'm not too sure he can step back and cover tight ends. Very excited to see how this works

Psycho_X

Legend
He'll be in Demarcus wares role. He doesn't have the hips and feet to be VonMiller. Which is another reason I don't see us chasing Ware as long as Quinn is on the team.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Same way he used Ware in both Dallas and Denver. He will be the weak side Backer.... rusher

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Interesting take by McVay. Eliminates my thoughts of signing Ware or having gone after Peppers. Makes sense tho, Quinn is lanky and awkward when he is standing up.

I think we go hard after Reddick in the draft, he could be a perfect fit for strongside olb. Lateral speed, quickness, and versatility.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Physically Robert Quinn is very close to Von Miller (size, speed, etc), so they could have him go into that role and have someone else play the same role as Ware, or even get Ware himself.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/3/10/14890882/transcript-la-rams-sean-mcvay-robert-woods-andrew-whitworth-2017-nfl-free-agency

(On what the Will Hayes trade means for DE Robert Quinn)

“When you really look at it, I think the best example if you look at the way that (defensive coordinator) Wade’s (Phillips) used (Broncos LB) DeMarcus Ware in the last couple years, that’s what Robert (Quinn) will play. Robert’s going to be a rusher for us. He’s an elite rusher. You definitely want to make sure that he’s rushing the quarterback – doing some of the things that have allowed him to play at a pro bowl caliber level. So, doesn’t change his role at all. He’s a very important part of what we’re going to do and that’s the one thing that I think is important – everybody wants to talk about the 3-4 transition. Really, with coach Philips system, it’s a one-gap penetrating front. What I mean by that is it’s very similar to some of the 4-3 principles that (former defensive coordinator) coach (Gregg) Williams incorporated over the last couple of years. The main difference is you’ll line up a Sam linebacker on the line of scrimmage and sometimes he’ll rush and then sometimes he’ll have coverage responsibilities. But Robert will play that Will (linebacker) position and he’s going to be treated like a rush end.”

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
I doubt
Interesting take by McVay. Eliminates my thoughts of signing Ware or having gone after Peppers. Makes sense tho, Quinn is lanky and awkward when he is standing up.

I think we go hard after Reddick in the draft, he could be a perfect fit for strongside olb. Lateral speed, quickness, and versatility.
Sadly, I doubt Reddick makes it past the 1st round :(

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I doubt

Sadly, I doubt Reddick makes it past the 1st round :(

Sadly I agree too. But if we trade Tru or anyone else, we could collect enough ammo to trade up.

My dreams of Lamp landing here have all but faded unfortunately, but Reddick would get me just as excited!

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
He'll be in Demarcus wares role. He doesn't have the hips and feet to be VonMiller. Which is another reason I don't see us chasing Ware as long as Quinn is on the team.

Ware would be able to rotate with Quinn though, keep them both fresh. Also play the other side on 3rd downs. He'd still get plenty of playing time don't worry

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I am a bit confused by this situation ..... looks like Quinn is going to be asked to play a position he's never played before ; WLB in the 3-4, playing standing up on both left and right side of the formation. In comparison, he's only played with his hand in the dirt as a RDE in the 4-3. Also, he's going to count 11-Mil against the cap this next season and he's missed 15 games the past 2 seasons. And, when he was playing, he didn't produce much ; PFF grade this past season, 60.6. Yet, William Hayes played in 14 games this past season, had a rating of 83.4 and had a much lower Cap number. We're told that the new Defensive system is very similar to a 4-3, with the lineman play single gaps, as opposed to a 2-gap style in the old days, but Hayes is determined to have no value in it. Yeah, I get that Hayes is older and can't play that same WLB position, but no consideration for LDE? Does anyone else see an issue with this?

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am a bit confused by this situation ..... looks like Quinn is going to be asked to play a position he's never played before ; WLB in the 3-4, playing standing up on both left and right side of the formation. In comparison, he's only played with his hand in the dirt as a RDE in the 4-3. Also, he's going to count 11-Mil against the cap this next season and he's missed 15 games the past 2 seasons. And, when he was playing, he didn't produce much ; PFF grade this past season, 60.6. Yet, William Hayes played in 14 games this past season, had a rating of 83.4 and had a much lower Cap number. We're told that the new Defensive system is very similar to a 4-3, with the lineman play single gaps, as opposed to a 2-gap style in the old days, but Hayes is determined to have no value in it. Yeah, I get that Hayes is older and can't play that same WLB position, but no consideration for LDE? Does anyone else see an issue with this?
I thought hayes would work great at end but i think it was more about saving cap space and getting rid of the "Fisher guys " . They have something big planned here and i can't wait