Robert Quinn

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BonifayRam said:
CoachO said:
I don't mean to insinuate that he doesn't have a place and will have a big role in this defensive line rotation. I'm merely stating that his sack total notwithstanding isn't a true indicator of his overall play. He needs to get stronger. And be a more complete player before I'll consider him as a ProBowl kind of talent.

I am with you Quinn place in the defense is critical to becoming a great defense. When you watch Quinn from the snap of the ball he is the last DL off the line but his quick steps is off the charts he can fly into the backfield faster than Little could...in fact I do not know if we have ever had a DE speeder like Quinn in decades. Kevin Green type pass rusher but Quinn just does not handle the runs in the same fashion as a little or a Kevin Green did.

I should also say that Quinn has a concussion injury himself a strange even back on Nov. 25th, 2012 during the Az game when he went through the entire game without making any plays or any stats against a very super weak OLT ,Quinn struggled bigtime! The following game against the 9ers he had zero in stats again. By wk 10 Quinn had 8.5 sacks & 22 tacks ...the next 48 days and the end of the season Quinn only managed 2 sacks & 7 tacks :zomg1:

what i didn't like about quinn last season down the stretch was how easily tackles used his speed to just push him way behind the qb so he had no chance to get anywhere near him. it seemed like that was the only move he had, to try to use his speed around the outside. he was very easily contained. was i seeing things that weren't there or was this the case?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
kurtfaulk said:
what i didn't like about quinn last season down the stretch was how easily tackles used his speed to just push him way behind the qb so he had no chance to get anywhere near him. it seemed like that was the only move he had, to try to use his speed around the outside. he was very easily contained. was i seeing things that weren't there or was this the case?.

Back on the coffee again!

Sounds like he was just going through the motions in your post....I would have to agree with you completely. When you read so many of this and past posts on Quinn you see that its seems that many and for good reason center on the Sacks as the main thing that Quinn is being paid to do....any other requirements is just fodder stats....this really bothers me but I understand the thrill and damage a sack does to a series. But if that was all there was to playing this important DE spot then Chris long & William Hayes would not have those nice contracts either. Hayes show's us a very complete DL who by hard work each and every step on each and every play can do to help your team win. Hayes played both DE posts in a 43, both DT posts in a 43 then he played the nose in the 34 and both DE's spots in the Rams 34......Thats a complete team DL'er from my perspective! Quinn while getting all the hype from those early season sacks drew many positive articles and many posts. Maybe kurtfaulk he just does not have the power to work pass those easy OL'er pushes?? :nono:

I recall during the pre draft 2010 remarks about Quinn ....the big knock on him if he was to climb the latter to be a good NFL DE was #1- Quinn was totally lacking and seemed to have no desire or was incapable of developing any array of counter moves. #2- His body type had questions if he could put on weight & still perform because he lacks the bulk to hold stout against the running game and will get overwhelmed by bigger blockers. Here now in 2013 does any of that still hold true?

Many times it been threw out that he is still young and learning...Ok I'll by that no argument from me but at the same time in 2012 we see him get out of the gate in a fury the first 2/3's of the season and just when the team catches fire and the Rams team need Quinn more than ever ......his performance over the last 1/3 of the season is.....looks to be regressing into a whimper. It could also be that Quinn may have just been worn out by the bye week too.

My fellow posters here in ROD ville might need to help me out on this review of what happen in TC & pre season some....correct me if I get this wrong. So if I look back as to try to find out maybe what happen to our future elite pass rusher see if what I post sounds about right.

#1-Quinn played no football in 2010 then in 2011 he played the back up 4th DE spot playing very little behind Long,Hall & CJ Ah You. Now Quinn gets his first chance to start and have a major role in 2012...we hear that he is uncontainable & unstoppable @ the his new RE post in TC.

#2-Injuries strike down the interior DL with Michael Brockers, Matthew Conrath, Trevor Laws & Darell Scott. Fisher is forced to use DE's Sims & Hayes inside. Quinn gets a truck load of work.. dig a little deeper you will find .....Hayes was a brand new Ram & still not fully recovered from a serious shoulder issue (thus why we got him @ a bargain rate from the Titans) so it took some time for him to get back to playing shape & health. Matter of fact Hayes was not healthy enough to play in the first game except for 2 plays on defense.... Fisher takes a chance & starts the regular season with ONLY TWO healthy DT's (Cudjo & Landford). Cudjo has spent the entire 2011 season on the Injured Reserve & his rookie season in 2010 saw him on the field sparingly. The 4th DT Conrath never saw the field in the regular season due to a injured knee never understood that?

Later Fisher is forced to sign DT Heard but soon release him too. Could Snead & Fisher placed too much of a work load way too early on this young 22 yr old? Brockers play availability for the first 8 games was very limited. Brockers had 6 tacks & 1 sack over that period of time. Sims was forced to play DT most of the time had an injuries too. Sims missed parts or all of 9 games in 2012. I should also say that there were times late in the season when Long who was always on the field was MIA like Quinn.

In conclusion it may be a fact that Quinn being so young and having not played an entire full year of football as a starter along with a series of injuries to so many of the Rams DL ....contributed to a very tired and worn out player over the last part of the season. Fisher may have made some early DL roster mistakes too. Does this information above make you feel better about Quinn?