Robert Quinn Says He's Defensive Player Of The Year (video & Audio)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Dan Hanzus
Around the League Writerhttp://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...t-quinn-says-hes-defensive-player-of-the-year

(lol @ :47)

Robert Quinn had an outrageous season. We worry the middling nature of the St. Louis Rams' 2013 could have obscured this reality.

For the uninitiated, here's what you should know: Quinn finished with 19 sacks, seven forced fumbles and 57 tackles. Eighteen of those tackles came for a loss. Pro Football Focus studied every snap and ranked Quinn as the best 4-3 defensive end in football. No. 2 on that list (Cameron Wake) wasn't close.

When Quinn stopped by the "Around The League Podcast" studio Thursday, we asked if he felt he deserves the NFL's Defensive Player Of The Year award, to be handed out on Feb. 1 in New York. It was quickly apparent the topic has been on his mind.

"I definitely think I do," he said. "Should I start making my case?"

Oh most definitely.

"I'll start with the opening game against the Cardinals," he began. "I had a sack, forced fumble, huge turnover for the team. Basically it (set up) the game-tying or game-winning field goal. That was one win."

"Then there was Chicago, where I got the sack, strip, forced fumble and a touchdown to seal a game. That's two."

"When we were in Indianapolis, I think it was the first pass play, strip, sack, forced fumble. Chris Long returned it for a touchdown. That's two touchdowns."

"When we were playing New Orleans, there was a huge one, strip, sack, forced fumble. Big momentum. That's four."

Quinn probably could've went on, but the point was made. Quinn wants you to know this wasn't the case of a stat compiler at work, hoping to fool voters who rely solely on a spread sheet. Quinn impacted games for Rams, and was the main reason they remained competitive after quarterback Sam Bradford was lost to a knee injury.

The field for DPOY is competitive this year. Like Best-Picture-at-the-2014-Oscars competitive.Richard Sherman, Robert Mathis, Earl Thomas, J.J. Watt and Luke Kuechly are all worthy candidates. But Quinn gets the vote of Around The League.

(Now all we need is a vote that counts.)

AUDIO LINK:
http://ec.libsyn.com/p/6/5/6/6564dd...1ce3dae902ea1d01c08e3ed6cf5cc943&c_id=6685826

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The DEFENSE rests!!! HTTR (Hail To The Robert!!)

lasvegasrams

Rookie
i love how he doesnt try and act humble and a good guy, but is so confident in his ability and proud of the monster season he had to tell the world he's the best.

absolutely loved it

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Nobody did it better... Quinn earned it. I'm just surprised they actually gave it to him. If it were up to the week 17 refs then the call would have went against us lol.

jap

Legend
i love how he doesnt try and act humble and a good guy, but is so confident in his ability and proud of the monster season he had to tell the world he's the best.

absolutely loved it

The Mighty One has been hearing nothing but pure accolades from Chris Long since his rookie season. Given how fundamentally sound and relentless Chris is, that kind of praise has to mean a lot to young humble kid. He was initially a liability against the run, but he cleaned that up entirely. He has clearly been working to perfect his craft and adapting Chris' relentless, Energizer Bunny ways definitely didn't hurt. The former rookie with the intriguing physical skills has mutated into a monster in the pits.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Remember when a certain "training camp expert" said he was a one trick pony?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Remember when a certain "training camp expert" said he was a one trick pony?
Yup.

And that's why I try to remain positive and optimistic about the players on this team. Because if I'm right and they turn out to be great, then good for the Rams. If I'm wrong and they turn out to be meh, then so fuckin' what. All I did was hope for the best during the process. Conversely, if the people who like to remain skeptical and pessimistic are wrong and the player turns out to be great, then great for the Rams. All they did was talk shit unnecessarily and annoy everyone in the process. If they're right and the player never reaches his potential, then so fuckin' what. All they did was talk shit unnecessarily and annoy everyone in the process.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Which one?
I believe it was theHammer, maybe Quinn had a couple extra tricks up his sleeve that he wasn't using in camp. Hell, I think he improved DURING the season, you started to see his inside moves more as the year went along. Gotta remember this guy is just a baby, who knows what's next....

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I believe it was theHammer, maybe Quinn had a couple extra tricks up his sleeve that he wasn't using in camp. Hell, I think he improved DURING the season, you started to see his inside moves more as the year went along. Gotta remember this guy is just a baby, who knows what's next....

Yeah, it was him. I can't remember if it was before this season or 2012, but it was him. I don't even bother reading his camp reports anymore. He seems so damn grumpy.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, it was him. I can't remember if it was before this season or 2012, but it was him. I don't even bother reading his camp reports anymore. He seems so damn grumpy.
And Amendola woudn't make the team.
Too slow and too short.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I will agree that Quinn got his all pro act together this season. It took him two yrs so in his third season he ....well that's what were taking about. Wonder now if the other talented Defenders like NT Michael Brockers, CB Janoris Jenkins & CB Trumaine Johnson or hell throw in the others draftees of that 2012 draft class WR Brian Quick, RB Isaiah Pead & WR Chris Givens can catch fire like Rob Quinn did in his third season??? Very Big Question.

nighttrain

Legend
The Mighty Quinn, happy to say I was right that he would be one of the best, guy is a freak athlete
train

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Quinn was a #14 draft pick that had several flags attached to his name on draft day 2011 & was failing down the draft boards. #1-His being banned from his school do to bad decisions & Medical. Rams get to draft @ #13 area again. DT Brockers who was also a #14 pick in 2012 turned out very good too. Lets hope we can get another very good starter @#13 in 2014.

Just think how bad teams like the Titans #8 (locker), Jax Jags #10(Gabbert) & the Vikings(Ponder) who all reached for QB's passed on DE Robert Quinn. All three of those teams have big needs @ DE currently.

nighttrain

Legend
Quinn was a #14 draft pick that had several flags attached to his name on draft day 2011 & was failing down the draft boards. #1-His being banned from his school do to bad decisions & Medical. Rams get to draft @ #13 area again. DT Brockers who was also a #14 pick in 2012 turned out very good too. Lets hope we can get another very good starter @#13 in 2014.

Just think how bad teams like the Titans #8 (locker), Jax Jags #10(Gabbert) & the Vikings(Ponder) who all reached for QB's passed on DE Robert Quinn. All three of those teams have big needs @ DE currently.
and a QB :)
train

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
and a QB :)
train

That reaching stuff can really hurt you for many yrs to come.....

2000 Reach-Trung Canidate
2001 Reach Damion Lewis
2002 Reach Robert Thomas
2003 Reach Jimmy Kennedy
2005 Reach Alex Barron
2006 Reach Tye Hill
2007 Reach Adam Carriker
2009 Reach Jason Smith