Robert Quinn passed over for honor

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

ST. LOUIS -- St. Louis Rams defensive end Robert Quinn managed to wrangle every postseason honor possible going into Saturday night’s NFL awards show.

There was the Pro Bowl bid, the All-Pro honors; even the Pro Football Writers of America tabbed him as the Defensive Player of the Year. But the biggest award of all, the Associated Press Defensive Player of the Year, managed to do what most quarterbacks couldn’t in 2013: avoid Quinn.

Quinn came up short in his bid for the most widely recognized award for a defensive player Saturday night as the honor went to Carolina Panthers linebacker Luke Kuechly.

That Quinn didn’t win the award shouldn’t come as much of a surprise given his team’s relative lack of success and the fact that Quinn plays in one of the league’s smaller markets.

Past that, Quinn not taking home the prize also shouldn’t serve as impetus for outrage. While I believe Quinn was the best defensive player in the NFL in 2013, it wasn’t so clear cut that his not winning should be considered some sort of conspiracy.

For those of us fortunate enough to watch Quinn rack up 19 sacks, force seven fumbles, stuff the run consistently and generally wreak havoc on some of the game’s elite offenses, it’s easy to look at Quinn and believe he should have been the winner. I’m included in that group.

But there were plenty of other defenders, Kuechly included, who had outstanding seasons.

Had Quinn closed the deal and managed to get to 20 sacks and won the first Deacon Jones award as the league’s sack leader, I believe it would have been enough for him to get the nod.

As it is, Quinn will have to wait to reach the highest level of the defensive player podium. Considering that Quinn is only 23 and entering his fourth season in the league, it’s probably safe to assume his name will become a fixture in this race every year.

Quinn couldn’t quite take home the award this year, but make no mistake, his time will come.

[espn.go.com]

That Quinn didn’t win the award shouldn’t come as much of a surprise given his team’s relative lack of success and the fact that Quinn plays in one of the league’s smaller markets.

It came as a sup prise to me because I thought it was the defensive player of the year award, not the defensive player of the year from a playoff team which plays in a market larger than St Louis (DPOYFPTIMLTSL) award

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It came as a sup prise to me because I thought it was the defensive player of the year award, not the defensive player of the year from a playoff team which plays in a market larger than St Louis (DPOYFPTIMLTSL) award
Yeah, that's fucked up. It's the ASSOCIATED press. Not the CONCENTRATED press. A ring of media outlets like that, contributing to one news agency, ought to have enough information from various sources to make an informed decision. Or, just look at the fuckin' stats.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
Kuechly 2013 Carolina Panthers 16 156 93.0 63 2 4 33 8.2 30 0 7

Alonso 2013 Buffalo Bills 16 159 87.0 72 2 4 38 9.5 32 0 5

David 2013 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 16 144 106.0 38 6 5 87 17.4 32 0 10

Is he even the best LB in the NFL?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Just goes to show "take everything with a grain of salt" when outsiders have an opinion on the Rams. Most clearly aren't informed, since we're not winning and mid-market?

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kuechly 2013 Carolina Panthers 16 156 93.0 63 2 4 33 8.2 30 0 7

Alonso 2013 Buffalo Bills 16 159 87.0 72 2 4 38 9.5 32 0 5

David 2013 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 16 144 106.0 38 6 5 87 17.4 32 0 10

Is he even the best LB in the NFL?

Navarro Bowman blew him away

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
It's a damn shame it is! But can't sweat what can't be controlled.. hopefully this is fuel for RQ and the entire team next season.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
Gregg Rosenthal, take on the situation.

Kuechly is one of the best young players in the league, but we don't think he had the best season in 2013. He wasn't even the best middle linebacker. The 49ers' NaVorro Bowman, in many ways, had the season that people thought Kuechly had. Bowman would have been my choice for the award. Seahawks safety Earl Thomas and his teammate, cornerback Richard Sherman, both made good cases for the award. Rams defensive end Robert Quinn had the most consistently dominant performances of the season, but he was penalized for not playing on a winning team. The Texans' J.J. Watt had a better overall 2013 than Kuechly, and Colts pass rusher Robert Mathis also was a strong candidate in a season without any easy choices.

Ultimately, Kuechly was rewarded for being the best defender on a Panthers defense that dramatically improved under Ron Rivera in 2013. Teammates like Greg Hardy, Thomas Davis and Charles Johnson all deserve an assist.
Individual award my ass!

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
Gregg Rosenthal, take on the situation.

Kuechly is one of the best young players in the league, but we don't think he had the best season in 2013. He wasn't even the best middle linebacker. The 49ers' NaVorro Bowman, in many ways, had the season that people thought Kuechly had. Bowman would have been my choice for the award. Seahawks safety Earl Thomas and his teammate, cornerback Richard Sherman, both made good cases for the award. Rams defensive end Robert Quinn had the most consistently dominant performances of the season, but he was penalized for not playing on a winning team. The Texans' J.J. Watt had a better overall 2013 than Kuechly, and Colts pass rusher Robert Mathis also was a strong candidate in a season without any easy choices.

Ultimately, Kuechly was rewarded for being the best defender on a Panthers defense that dramatically improved under Ron Rivera in 2013. Teammates like Greg Hardy, Thomas Davis and Charles Johnson all deserve an assist.

Individual award my ass!