Robert Quinn named the 44th best player in the NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Not arguing this point at all but if last year's play is the criteria how the heck does A. Peterson make it in after playing only one game?!
Exactly!! And it seems every year there are players that you know are ONLY ON THIS LIST because of their career stats not the single years work, which I thought this list was suppose to be all about! Patton Manning is another good example, in past years!

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Not arguing this point at all but if last year's play is the criteria how the heck does A. Peterson make it in after playing only one game?!
Truth, and if the Rams had traded him this season like they had Bradford to a team the media types care about, he'd be ranked a lot higher.

But I don't care about that. In fact I would love it if the Rams came out of nowhere like in 1999 and left all the fantasy football geeks and media dorks with a bitter taste in their mouths :)

A55VA6

Legend
44 is too low for me, even with his "down" year. Still had double digit sacks and did a lot of good things in the run game. Best RE in football.

Stel

Starter
I can't think of 43 players I would take before Quinn. Might have trouble coming up with ten.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The only reason that Robert Quinn had a down year is because referees suddenly stopped calling holding on the offensive linemen. Take away all of those holds and Quinn easily has 20+ sacks. IMO

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
How does Mack from Oakland end up higher on the list
Still do NOT understand all the Mack-love? Sio Moore is the best LB on that team....Mack is an average player at the moment...I didn't see him ONCE when we played them...but I didn't see all that game...forget where I was or what I was doing...But I watched the Raiders enough to know Woodson & Moore were their 2 best players...

A55VA6

Legend
The only reason that Robert Quinn had a down year is because referees suddenly stopped calling holding on the offensive linemen. Take away all of those holds and Quinn easily has 20+ sacks. IMO
I think he would have broke Strahan's record in 2013 if it wasn't for fucking holding. Quinn still managed to get 19.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ogletree had 12, most in the league by a linebacker. This surprised me at first, but then I remembered he got his hand on a lot of passes at the line.

Usually passes defended is a good stat and you want as many as possible, but a guy like Fletcher only had a lot because he got targeted ALL the time. But a guy like Gaines had a lot because he made a lot of plays on the football.

Quinn having 6 is pretty insane.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Associated Press votes for DROY, players (allegedly) vote for this list.

There wasn't any consensus on who the top rookie was last year. ESPN has Mack no. 1 in their 2014 draft re-rankings.

Yeah it must have been hard splitting them. On one hand Donald had the most tackles for loss of any rookie DT since 1998 and the second most tackles for loss of any DT of any level of experience over the last 10 years (well he was tied with Suh for 2nd, both 2014, to be more exact, but he won my completely made up tie breaker tackles for a loss of 5 yards or more, 12 to 6.5) on the other hand he plays for the Rams.

Alan

Legend
flv with more about DE PDs:
I don't know but I suspect this stat is for incomplete passes that were tipped by defenders...including those tipped in the act of pass-rushing. As per ESPN Quinn had 6 whilst Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy each had 3. JJ Watt had 10.

I don't know how to value this stat. Some very good DBs score highly. EJ Gaines leads the Rams with 15. Ogletree has 11. Jenkins has 5. Bradley Fletcher leads the league with 22.
Yeah I saw those Watt stats (I got my info the same place you did) but I was only talking about humans. :LOL:

They could also be the result of him just putting up his hands a swatting down an attempted pass. I used that stat to illustrate my point about having Quinn (and Long) drop back in pass protection when, in Quinn's case especially, they should be rushing the passer.

You do help illustrate my point though. DBs should have shit loads of PDs, LBs much less and DE's very little comparatively speaking. Unless of course the DE in question is frequently being asked to drop back in coverage. A total waste of Quinn's skills IMO.

BTW, J.J. only having 5 PDs is very depressing.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
He's good, but so overrated.

Most QB's can win on a team with a great defense and great RB. Without those, he's probably average.
Exactly. I always said if the Jags did draft him, we probably wouldn't really know who he was. He had time to develop because his defense kept winning games for them. I don't think people realize how awful he was for the first 10 games of his rookie year.