Robert Quin does not play run that great

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Did any one notice the Quin struggles on the run game? He overshoots that gap control or is out of position.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I must disagree. Quinn was one of the NFL's best run defending 4-3 DEs last year. The Vikings just called plays that kept us on our toes. Lets not ignore the fact that we held Peterson to 75 yards and less than 4 yards per carry. It was Patterson that killed us and as I recall, all three were run to the opposite side of the field...probably because Quinn is excellent at blowing those plays up.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I must disagree. Quinn was one of the NFL's best run defending 4-3 DEs last year. The Vikings just called plays that kept us on our toes. Lets not ignore the fact that we held Peterson to 75 yards and less than 4 yards per carry. It was Patterson that killed us and as I recall, all three were run to the opposite side of the field...probably because Quinn is excellent at blowing those plays up.

jrry32 it seemed today he was out of place today and the whole team in general missed tackles.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
jrry32 it seemed today he was out of place today and the whole team in general missed tackles.

It's one game. Although, I don't recall Quinn being too badly at fault today. The whole team did miss tackles. Ironically, Janoris Jenkins was the only guy that seemed to tackle well especially in the open field. Although Patterson did shake him badly on that TD run.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
They did have Sims at RDE on first down a few times today but Quinn's run D doesn't bug me at all. That's probably the best down to get him a breather

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
They did have Sims at RDE on first down a few times today but Quinn's run D doesn't bug me at all. That's probably the best down to get him a breather
Exactly right. Quinn's job is to penetrate and blow up whoever has the ball (or is about to get the ball). Like @jrry32 said, he was actually quite good against the run last year, and is elite in back-side pursuit. I wouldn't let this one game cloud your vision about Quinn. He's the absolute least of our worries. I'd also venture to guess that Williams' head has already spun around 360 degrees 14 times, so everyone is going to be made aware of where they need to improve.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
What I noticed most today was that he was being held on almost every play and there where no calls that I can remember even with a flag happy crew. The TD at the en of the fisrt half the tckle had his right arm around Quinn's neck it was obvious on the replay. They held Petterson in check all day and I thought Quinn was a big part of that.

jjab360

Legend
Quinn is the last person to blame on that defensive showing. He was fine against the run and really the only player of note as a pass rusher today.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly and Patterson touchdown run was on the side Long normally would have been on but he was hurt and not playing. If he was playing I doubt that touchdown run would have happened

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
The only thing bad from Quinn today was a poor call, in my opinion, from the refs. I still don't know how he got roughing the passer on that early play. Then again I thought Quick's 'face mask' was a pretty ticky tack call.

Janoris has always been pretty good at setting the edge from the CB spot. He was tremendous doing that today.

209RamsFan

He's a solid run defender...not great....he doesn't have to be...that's what the rest of the team is for...Run-stuffing support

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
What I noticed most today was that he was being held on almost every play and there where no calls that I can remember even with a flag happy crew. The TD at the en of the fisrt half the tckle had his right arm around Quinn's neck it was obvious on the replay. They held Petterson in check all day and I thought Quinn was a big part of that.

Okay, I got a bit of a rant here... against both Quinn AND Demarcus Ware of the Broncos, the LT was able to put his hands on their face...repeatedly...without consequence. First hand check/punch goes straight to the face. What happened to all those "illegal hands to the face" penalties from the preseason? What kind of BS is this??? Hands to the face is a foul. Call it, dammit! Worse, it was called during the preseason, so we were supposed to be prepared to see those called in the regular season.

Did that go away like the long extra point?

Okay /endrant

Quinn's awesome and he's fine against the run.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

yea imo long struggels more then quinn

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A Viking fan went through the game and every single 10+ yard run by the Vikings yesterday went to the opposite side of the field from Quinn.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
And I believe those runs, away from Quinn, to Chris Long's side, were after Long was out-of-the-game, and the Viks were Taking advantage of the weakened left side of the D!!

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I don't agree with this sentiment. I watch Quinn smash through the line on a couple plays...one in particular where he wrapped up the RB and tackled him immediately.