Rob Havenstein's Struggles Explained - Ankle Injury

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Throwing the E word around is fun and all, but it does help to understand what the hell happened to Havenstein.

Can the guy get healthy and resume his development? I think that he can.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What about Isiah Battle ?? Still real young & was hurt.
D. Williams ??
At guard The Rams have kept
David Arkon

Not much to say about OT Isaiah Battle after his terrible performance during 2016 Training Camp & Pre Season. Not much else is known.....IB had nagging injuries & played mostly right OT from TC to pre season. IB was a much thicker larger man in pre season 2016 than he was when he was drafted in the 2015 supplemental draft with a 5th round 2016 draft pick. When we saw photos of IB next to Rodger Saffold & GRob, IB looked sizably bigger. Sad fact was IB was ineffective @ right OT.

OT Darrell Williams was our third swing OT during the 2015 season played mostly OLT in TC & pre season in 2015. Boudreau played DW @ Right Tackle in 2016 TC & pre season & DW was not very good plus he had ongoing issues with his dislocated wrist that put him on the IR in 2015 season.

OG David Arkin is under contract till 2018. DA had a very good pre season & actually made the final roster this season before he was released & then signed to the practice squad & was resigned & brought up from the PS in December. DA was a Round 4 (#110 overall), 2011 for the Dallas Cowboys. I would not be surprised to see DA start today @ OG.
http://www.nfl.com/player/davidarkin/2495112/draft

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Not much to say about OT Isaiah Battle after his terrible performance during 2016 Training Camp & Pre Season. not much is known.....IB has nagging injuries & played mostly right OT. IB was a much thicker larger man in pre season 2016 than he was when he was drafted in the 2015 supplemental draft with a 5th round 2016 draft pick. When we photos of IB next to Rodger Saffold & GRob, IB looked sizably bigger. Sad fact was IB was ineffective @ right OT.
I was looking at that Clemson team last night....How in the hell do we grab one of the few guys on that squad that can't even suit up...for 2 years??????? I mean, this screams incompetence....in scouting.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I was looking at that Clemson team last night....How in the hell do we grab one of the few guys on that squad that can't even suit up...for 2 years??????? I mean, this screams incompetence....in scouting.

Waste a 5th rd pick & not take a chance on La'ell Collins in 7th rd.

I still think Isahai Battle has upside.He is only 23 . 24 in a month.
I just think a coaching change can make a world of difference.
--Got to believe Greg Robinson has a heck of a lot of upside.
---The offensive line is still so young.
---Rams still need a freaking center though. They signed those crap centers in Brown & whatever that guy from Green Bay ?? Both were quiters after getting paid a huge amount of dough.

That is not the dough the doughnuts were

…..

Legend
Injuries aren't a valid excuse for the Rams sucking this year as a team. Injuries are a valid "excuse" for an individual player sucking, especially when his performance just happened to dramatically drop when he got injured (or his injury got worse).

To move forward, it's necessary to understand what went wrong and why.

True but one need only look to Demoff's comments during the Jeff Fisher dismissal. He stated that this is an organizational failure.

Even if injury was key in performance or lack of performance in any one player or positional group, the fact of the matter is that there was failure from the bottom to top. Insert appropriate comment ( Hav didn't take himself out, Boudreau didn't communicate seriousness of limitations, medical staff didn't advise appropriately, Fisher overlooked the problem based on perceived team needs, personnel department didn't find an adequate replacement)

I know you are merely trying to settle your mind on our possible future roster, and your mind has gone from failure mode, to fix it mode. That's okay and I am not trying to piss on your parade. But my mind is still in monumental disappointment mode. I've made excuses all year for our teams lack of success and I'm just personally tired of extending any more wiggle room to anyone associated with this team.

As for the topic at hand, our RT, I was unaware that significant injury was in any way responsible for his regression. In my mind, the entire unit regressed this year and I've kinda jumbled them all into the same pile of shit. There were so many blatant shortcomings in execution, pre snap penalties, failure to adjust to stunts and blitzing, and even a lack of accountability that I'm ready to wipe the hard drive and forget the year even happened. We open next year with a new operating system and the old one is obsolete.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My question while watching the eagles & cowboys. This David Irving has looked good at DE.
The RT has a hold(bear hug) on him on a 3rd down. Why do some players get away with it so often.
---Every week when Robert Quinn is healthy , you see LT get away with holding.Then you see Freg Robinson get called for some BS play.
-- I think from there the coaches try to mess with his form ?? It might get into his head.The Rams Offenseline needs to find that happy medium .

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
True but one need only look to Demoff's comments during the Jeff Fisher dismissal. He stated that this is an organizational failure.

Even if injury was key in performance or lack of performance in any one player or positional group, the fact of the matter is that there was failure from the bottom to top. Insert appropriate comment ( Hav didn't take himself out, Boudreau didn't communicate seriousness of limitations, medical staff didn't advise appropriately, Fisher overlooked the problem based on perceived team needs, personnel department didn't find an adequate replacement)

I know you are merely trying to settle your mind on our possible future roster, and your mind has gone from failure mode, to fix it mode. That's okay and I am not trying to tick on your parade. But my mind is still in monumental disappointment mode. I've made excuses all year for our teams lack of success and I'm just personally tired of extending any more wiggle room to anyone associated with this team.

As for the topic at hand, our RT, I was unaware that significant injury was in any way responsible for his regression. In my mind, the entire unit regressed this year and I've kinda jumbled them all into the same pile of crap. There were so many blatant shortcomings in execution, pre snap penalties, failure to adjust to stunts and blitzing, and even a lack of accountability that I'm ready to wipe the hard drive and forget the year even happened. We open next year with a new operating system and the old one is obsolete.

This is a fair take on things. I agree wholeheartedly.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Jimmy Johnson said it best on the pregame show. Before putting the entire blame with the HC or GM about the talent on a team, the guy(s) who should be held closer to the fire are the guys evaluating the talent. So, who are our guys evaluating the talent and then making recommendations to Snead/Fisher? Are our talent scouts doing a good enough job evaluating the correct talent to fit our offense/defense schemes? Are we only looking for athletic guys? Seems to me we've taken the best player available regardless of fit, and add to it he might be more of a project with hopes he will pan out. Looking at our draft, over the past 5 years, seems to have been a real crap shoot. It seems we've taken more chances on a guy being an athlete while not looking to see if he truly fits our scheme. It's like they try to fit a square peg in a round hole. There are players less talented, but have a higher intelligence factor working better in certain schemes. I'm not saying Snead and Fisher are innocent because they were involved throughout the entire process and ultimately picked the talent. However, I do think the guys feeding them the initial information are not doing a good job. Honestly, there are guys on this board who see better talent than those making the actual picks. Sad, but true.

TexasRam

Legend
I'm a fan of Havenstein. He needs to get healthy obviously.

His rookie year he played really solid. He someone you can build with. Reminds me of the Rams 99 team with Fred
Miller. Not pro bowl dominate but very solid and important.

fearsomefour

Legend
I looked closely at most of the linemen in the senior bowl that year...I liked the way Hav practiced....but man, he just didn't LOOK like an NFL body (esp. LOWER BODY)...Loved Marpet & Smith (Penn St tackle)....then we get Hav in the 2nd roundo_O:mad::palm::wtf:..that's ALL on SNEAD....Dude doesn't have great ability....I thought I read in one scouting article that they may have to move him to guard...
The Admin....Snead, scouts, coaches....have largely failed on the Zo side of the ball....but....plenty of successes on the D side of the ball.
It's been a mixed bag.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Battle was not good when he got to play, played on ice skates, little balance, no power.

He still has upside & might be able to be coached up. If he was playing well he would have already been up from practice squad ? I think coaching staff was real bad on the offensive side of the ball though.

fearsomefour

Legend
He still has upside & might be able to be coached up. If he was playing well he would have already been up from practice squad ? I think coaching staff was real bad on the offensive side of the ball though.
There certainly is no risk in keeping him to see.