Rob Halvestein - Future All-Pro?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I know this probably sounds kind of crazy but the more I see and hear this player the more I like him and think he is going to be a great player for the Rams! I think he and Robinson will be awesome bookend OT's for the Rams for many future seasons!

jap

Legend
I know this probably sounds kind of crazy but the more I see and hear this player the more I like him and think he is going to be a great player for the Rams! I think he and Robinson will be awesome bookend OT's for the Rams for many future seasons!

Jaws and Gregzilla?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
You do realize I was talking about James Bond's nemesis, Jaws, don't you?

Actually, I thought that you were talking about the giant shark.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I've heard a few pundits say they thought Halvensetein was a bit of a reach. They felt there were a couple better pass protectors available. But they fail to realize the type of linemen Fisher wants. By all accounts he was the best run blocker available. And he has the skill set to improve his pass blocking. He's more agile than he appears.

Plus, Fisher wants guys who are road graders with a nasty disposition. He picked the guys he felt best fits what he wants to accomplish. Its quite possible Halvenstein could have a long successful career in the NFL. Jamon Brown fits that mold too. If they come out of the gates opening holes and imposing their will, I think that is exactly what Fisher wants. Even if their pass blocking requires more time. Fisher want to run, run, and when the going gets tough, run some more. Every game Foles passes less than 25 times means they're running the ball effectively. And thats what they want.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Rams are better with Rob Havenstein at RT...Ram fans will sleep well at night and will be a huge fan of big Rob as they find out the difference between farm strong and weight room strong!

Hey Pete Carroll....We're running it again!

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
Be careful of what you wish for @snackdaddy because you just might get it.
"But they fail to realize the type of linemen Fisher wants."

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Isn't it rare that a RT makes All-Pro?

I remember thinking the same thing when Mayock talked about someone being a potential all pro right tackle. I think its been years since a right tackle even made the pro bowl.

But labels aside - yeah @paceram - lets hope this guy beats some ass out there!

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I've heard a few pundits say they thought Halvensetein was a bit of a reach. They felt there were a couple better pass protectors available. But they fail to realize the type of linemen Fisher wants. By all accounts he was the best run blocker available. And he has the skill set to improve his pass blocking. He's more agile than he appears.

Plus, Fisher wants guys who are road graders with a nasty disposition. He picked the guys he felt best fits what he wants to accomplish. Its quite possible Halvenstein could have a long successful career in the NFL. Jamon Brown fits that mold too. If they come out of the gates opening holes and imposing their will, I think that is exactly what Fisher wants. Even if their pass blocking requires more time. Fisher want to run, run, and when the going gets tough, run some more. Every game Foles passes less than 25 times means they're running the ball effectively. And thats what they want.

Do you think though that he could be a good pick and STILL be a bit of a reach? By that I mean was it possible that teams were surprised to see him drafted so early? So we could have picked up someone else in the 2nd who could have improved the team AND have gotten Havenstein in the 3rd? I guess they feel that they wanted him so much they couldn't take that risk - which really is the best endorsement he could have.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
A guy is really only a reach when he actually could have been had at that teams next opportunity to pick. No one who writes for a living knows whether that is the case. They use the term to reach to mean - 'most mocks I saw had him going later' - which really means nothing.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you think though that he could be a good pick and STILL be a bit of a reach? By that I mean was it possible that teams were surprised to see him drafted so early? So we could have picked up someone else in the 2nd who could have improved the team AND have gotten Havenstein in the 3rd? I guess they feel that they wanted him so much they couldn't take that risk - which really is the best endorsement he could have.

Well, there were reports on draft day that the Rams were looking to trade down a bit, but that the options were further down than they wanted to go. There were also reports that the Titans were interested in Havenstein - and they DID pick an OT with their next pick. It wouldn't be the first time that the Rams had some good idea of who the Titans would pick, since there are so many connections between Fisher and Williams and the Titans. In any case, yes, the Rams apparently felt that he wouldn't be available by the Rams' next pick. It's possible they were wrong in that belief, but they would have a far better idea than some of the internet commentators. Now, whether there was somebody else available that the Rams would have been better selecting - I'm not sure. I do know that he fits into what the Rams seemed to be seeking for their system - a huge mauler who has stayed healthy, who has experience in a system that should adapt well to the pros.

jap

Legend
Actually, I thought that you were talking about the giant shark.

When Big Rob was selected by the Horns, one of the members here liken him to the actor (Richard Kiel) who played the popular Bond villain, Jaws, in two of the James Bond films (i.e., The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker). Kiel's enhanced height and distorted faciel features were due to a hormonal condition known as acromegaly. In his physical prime, he stood 7-feet, 1.5 inches (217 cm) tall.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
When Big Rob was selected by the Horns, one of the members here liken him to the actor (Richard Kiel) who played the popular Bond villain, Jaws, in two of the James Bond films (i.e., The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker). Kiel's enhanced height and distorted faciel features were due to a hormonal condition known as acromegaly. In his physical prime, he stood 7-feet, 1.5 inches (217 cm) tall.

Oh, I thought it was because both his mom and dad were butt ugly...

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

That. All of that. Can't like this post enough.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Well, there were reports on draft day that the Rams were looking to trade down a bit, but that the options were further down than they wanted to go. There were also reports that the Titans were interested in Havenstein - and they DID pick an OT with their next pick. It wouldn't be the first time that the Rams had some good idea of who the Titans would pick, since there are so many connections between Fisher and Williams and the Titans. In any case, yes, the Rams apparently felt that he wouldn't be available by the Rams' next pick. It's possible they were wrong in that belief, but they would have a far better idea than some of the internet commentators. Now, whether there was somebody else available that the Rams would have been better selecting - I'm not sure. I do know that he fits into what the Rams seemed to be seeking for their system - a huge mauler who has stayed healthy, who has experience in a system that should adapt well to the pros.

This was the same most were hearing during the very liquid moments of trading backwards in round two then attempting to trade back to the top with failure. I believe Donovan Smith had to be a target but went sooner also at pick 34 to the Bucs as another ORT basically his only position. Both Donovan Smith and our guy Havenstein both lost belly fat before the combine as both played their senior season overweight and really looked much more impressive at the Combine. Both carried exact 5.6 grades on many scouting sites.

We all saw that the risk of trading back only had 2 OL taken from where we would have picked and two did'nt fit our giant mauler type in Jake Fisher from Oregon who went 4 picks before we picked Rob H. and the Chiefs took Mitch Morse a projected OG for the pro's at pick 49. Both picks had made visits to Rams park. One at 306 and the other at 304LBS. Rob Havenstein down to 321 from his 390 lbs that was recorded. Still needs to tighten up his abs a lot as his body needs pro weight training. Rob's long arms don't make me worry with his bench press numbers but as he always taped his wrists before college games he needs to really strengthen his arms for delivering a better punch than he has and I think he will.
Ali Marpet went just picks after Rob went at pick 61 to the Bucs probably to play center. Lots of OL went much earlier than predicted. To even think Rob will be an all pro when he has'nt seen ANY pro action yet is insanity in my opinion. TONS of very hard work and competition with very closely rated players and then to avoid the dreaded injuries that come to the Rams OL in droves in recent and also for a decade or longer at a heavier rate to us over some teams. Its our time for a break .

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

Yeah, its possible he coulda been there. But its also possible he woulda been picked up by then too. I heard someone mention that even if he didn't make it to their next pick there were others available. But those others weren't what Fisher wanted. Maybe they were good overall blockers but Fisher wanted his particular skill set. So picking him when they did was the right move.