Road to Success: Creating the ultimate Rams off-season for HC Sean McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Going to repost this from your other thread, I want your opinion.

I love Garcon, I think he'll be the perfect fit of size, catch radius, and toughness that we need to offset some of the finesse receivers we have.

Do you think though, that Garcon could be a productive #1 for a few years on our team? He's already 31? I like him, I just worry that he might decline.

I also agree that Woods would be a good pickup to offset the age factor, he's a very underrated and young receiver... But is that the best option out there? I hear Brandon Marshall might need a new team, would Brandon Marshall be the best case scenario out of all?

He's not young but he's still elite and has that toughness and catch radius that Garcon has. Maybe if he declines in a few years, he can be still as productive as Garcon is today?

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I love Garcon, I think he'll be the perfect fit of size, catch radius, and toughness that we need to offset some of the finesse receivers we have.

Do you think though, that Garcon could be a productive #1 for a few years on our team? He's already 31? I like him, I just worry that he might decline.

I also agree that Woods would be a good pickup to offset the age factor, he's a very underrated and young receiver... But is that the best option out there? I hear Brandon Marshall might need a new team, would Brandon Marshall be the best case scenario out of all?

He's not young but he's still elite and has that toughness and catch radius that Garcon has. Maybe if he declines in a few years, he can be still as productive as Garcon is today?
I would not mind Marshall. Everyone is starting to write him off but clearly don't pay attention to he keeps having throwing the ball...With that being said Garcon I would sign to 2 year 17-19 mil. Maybe a third year if he is set on that. The point of Woods as everyone keeps beating me over the head with him getting too much is that he is the future Garcon of the league and I think he would take over and possibly maximize his potential with Pierre. His market value is legit eight million per Spotrac. I think doubling on WR and CB is the key. I do agree being 31 already he's only got 2 years of serious production if even.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I like it. Only thing I'd change is instead of woods I'd grab Stills for less as I see him and Garcon a better pair and use that money to sign the FB(Felton) from the Bills who helped pave the way for the #1 rushing team last year who has ties to Kromer. I think a true blocking FB could be great for gurley. Just my thoughts. What do you think?

Last edited:

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I like it. Only thing I'd change is instead of woods I'd grab Stills for less as I see him and Garcon a better pair and use that money to sign the FB(Felton) from the Bills who helped pave the way for the #1 rushing team last year who has ties to Kromer. I think a true pass blocking FB could be great for gurley. Just my thoughts. What do you think?
Not a huge Stills fan. However, I will say that you hit the nail on the head with Felton and I love your reasoning!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Good work Jake, you're getting better. You have just surpassed the "armchair" sports writers over at TST.:help::football:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Not a huge Stills fan. However, I will say that you hit the nail on the head with Felton and I love your reasoning!
I'm not a huge Stills fan either but think we do need some speed on the outside and woods doesn't bring that. I'd be ok with woods just think teams could plant themselves in the intermediate zone and be good in covering Garcon and woods. Thanks for the words on Felton. Could block for goff and gurley. Think with new coaching staff he might head somewhere needed and with Kromer here could be a great under the raider signing and for cheap.

Couple of questions:

Do you think TA can be the deep threat on the outside?

Thoughts on wheaton?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought releasing or trading someone caused all bonuses to be charged to the team. So wouldn't Barron being traded cause less cap space than more?

No. Barron's cap number in 2017 is $11 million. If we trade him, his $4 million in bonuses accelerate onto the cap. If you subtract the two numbers, we gain $7 million in cap room by trading him.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Good work Jake, you're getting better. You have just surpassed the "armchair" sports writers over at TST.:help::football:
Thank you and . . . I can't comment they got me started. Huge thanks to those boys its how I got to Rams Wire and then eventually started Downtown Rams.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
No. Barron's cap number in 2017 is $11 million. If we trade him, his $4 million in bonuses accelerate onto the cap. If you subtract the two numbers, we gain $7 million in cap room by trading him.
Which is exactly why I was considering it. However, if we don't I won't blow a gasket. I love Barron and after further review I could definitely see him playing inside as a sideline to sideline guy. Hayes may not fit the 3-4 scheme at all though. I don't know it will be interesting.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I'm not a huge Stills fan either but think we do need some speed on the outside and woods doesn't bring that. I'd be ok with woods just think teams could plant themselves in the intermediate zone and be good in covering Garcon and woods. Thanks for the words on Felton. Could block for goff and gurley. Think with new coaching staff he might head somewhere needed and with Kromer here could be a great under the raider signing and for cheap.

Couple of questions:

Do you think TA can be the deep threat on the outside?

Thoughts on wheaton?
Yeah Stills ruined it for me with his drops. I see that Woods and Garcon don't have the speed but I am confident Austin can be that field stretching guy now in this system. Of course on Felton, I have to give props because that was a smart comment that I had not even thought of.

So to answer your question yes I think Tavon can be that deep threat and I don't like Wheaton at all. I watched him alot since my cousin is a Steeler fan. No Steeler fan wants him to return, he's their Brian Quick but without the prototype build. He is fast but he can't catch. I've watched him blow multiple games with game winning touchdown drops. So thats a no on Wheaton. I actually like Andre Holmes from Oakland and Marquess Wilson from Chicago.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I wanted Chris Ballard. Oh well, I guess we will find out

Yeah and I believe that if McVay wanted somebody else the Rams would have showed him the door. Les is smooth and let's hope he's different without Fisher, but if the Rams win 5-6 games in 2017 the Rams will then let Snead walk and bring somebody else in, but they are slowly running out of scapegoats.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Yeah Stills ruined it for me with his drops. I see that Woods and Garcon don't have the speed but I am confident Austin can be that field stretching guy now in this system. Of course on Felton, I have to give props because that was a smart comment that I had not even thought of.

So to answer your question yes I think Tavon can be that deep threat and I don't like Wheaton at all. I watched him alot since my cousin is a Steeler fan. No Steeler fan wants him to return, he's their Brian Quick but without the prototype build. He is fast but he can't catch. I've watched him blow multiple games with game winning touchdown drops. So thats a no on Wheaton. I actually like Andre Holmes from Oakland and Marquess Wilson from Chicago.
Marquess Wilson was a guy I liked coming out of college. Thought he could be very good. Will be very interesting who they sign in FA. I think they bring in a lot of offense In FA and draft more defense.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Very well put together. You brought in Garçon and Woods which is the duo I would pursue as well. Cleveland I don't believe would even consider that trade with us, but maybe Gregg Williams can get some say in that. I personally was not a big fan of Shelton and I'm still not. But if Wade wants him, must mean something. Aside from that, A+ free agency. You have some picks I like for the draft as well, though I'd probably go somewhere else with our first pick. B on the draft. I'd give you names and what not, but I'm a GM in the ROD Mock Draft and don't want to tip names that I like. But very well done overall. Thanks for the hard work.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Yeah and I believe that if McVay wanted somebody else the Rams would have showed him the door. Les is smooth and let's hope he's different without Fisher, but if the Rams win 5-6 games in 2017 the Rams will then let Snead walk and bring somebody else in, but they are slowly running out of scapegoats.
I honestly love this post. My thoughts exactly!

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Very well put together. You brought in Garçon and Woods which is the duo I would pursue as well. Cleveland I don't believe would even consider that trade with us, but maybe Gregg Williams can get some say in that. I personally was not a big fan of Shelton and I'm still not. But if Wade wants him, must mean something. Aside from that, A+ free agency. You have some picks I like for the draft as well, though I'd probably go somewhere else with our first pick. B on the draft. I'd give you names and what not, but I'm a GM in the ROD Mock Draft and don't want to tip names that I like. But very well done overall. Thanks for the hard work.
Thank you! Lol at your ROD Mock Draft comment. I'm bummed I didn't know about it that would have been so fun to do. Thanks again for the read. The content won't stop I assure you!

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Marquess Wilson was a guy I liked coming out of college. Thought he could be very good. Will be very interesting who they sign in FA. I think they bring in a lot of offense In FA and draft more defense.
Definitely the thing with Wilson was right as he was getting the hang of things Groh left to go to the Rams. That was his WR coach, he has a freakish athletic build we will see if he can be Alshon Jeffery or end up being another Chris Matthews.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Thank you! Lol at your ROD Mock Draft comment. I'm bummed I didn't know about it that would have been so fun to do. Thanks again for the read. The content won't stop I assure you!

You could jump in the thread and sign yourself up as a backup GM. Just in case members back out. It happened a couple times last year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm not Jake, but I'll give an answer. Garcon will turn 31 before the 2017 season starts. His game is more based on route running, YAC, and hands than anything else. Thus, I think he can be counted on to give two or three more years of solid production.

Is he a #1? I'd say no. I think he's more of a high-end #2 WR. But I think the need for a #1 WR is overstated. If you don't have a #1 WR, you need three or four consistent targets. If you do have a #1 WR, you can get away with less.

I'm hesitant on Woods. I have concerns about his durability, and I don't know that he'll be more for us than he was for Buffalo.

I don't think I'd call Marshall a best case scenario, but he's a solid temporary option if he hits FA. I'd call Alshon Jeffery the best case scenario. He's a young #1 WR. After him, I think Garcon and Jackson are the two best options because of their familiarity with the offense and likelihood we can get them on shorter-term deals.(Marshall would slot in just after those two) If you're looking for more of a bargain, I like Markus Wheaton, Ted Ginn Jr., and Kamar Aiken. Ginn Jr. only works, though, if you want a pure deep threat.(i.e., we lose out on Stills and DeSean and still want a WR who can consistently get vertical)

I think Woods is more of a #2/#3 type WR. I don't really see the toughness and catch radius of Garcon in Woods. He's a smooth route runner with good body control and field awareness imo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Austin hasn't shown that ability. I can deal with the Stills drops. Drops aren't that big of a deal if a guy produces enough big plays to offset them.

IIRC, Wheaton only dropped two passes in all of 2015. Drops weren't a huge issue for him prior to 2016. But he was also playing through a severe shoulder injury that landed him on IR in 2016 when he struggled with drops.

As I recall, Steeler fans weren't begging for Manny Sanders to come back either. I think Wheaton can be a solid secondary target on a good offense.