Road to Success: Creating the ultimate Rams off-season for HC Sean McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Road to Success: Creating the ultimate Rams off-season for HC Sean McVay
227364_1443f283730249e0872ba409942d83f8~mv2.webp

http://www.downtownrams.com/single-...he-ultimate-Rams-off-season-for-HC-Sean-McVay

Out with the old and in with the new...That's the new mantra with the Rams, bringing in 31-year old HC Sean McVay to replace veteran HC Jeff Fisher. The Rams have some pieces that they will be keeping from the Fisher era of Rams football, but those are the good pieces. In this piece, I try my best to do the impossible and project what the 2017 Los Angeles Rams will look like.

Total Available Cap: $168,304,311
Total Team Cap: $106,079,595
Cap Space at the moment: $37,394,280
Cap Space in this scenario: $62,224,716
Cap Space left in this scenario: $6,534,716

Cap Casualties: $12,023,368 saved
C Tim Barnes $3,000,000 saved
DE Eugene Sims $2,500,000 saved
FS Cody Davis $1,611,111 saved
TE Cory Harkey $1,300,000 saved
G David Arkin $775,000 saved
RB Tre Mason $752,257 saved
OT Darrell Williams $615,000 saved
RB Brandon Wegher $540,000 saved
WR Marquez North $465,000 saved
FB Zach Laskey $465,000 saved

Analysis:

Tim Barnes has been really bad for the Rams and shedding his salary would free up $3 million for a team that will need to allocate that space elsewhere. With the roster cuts of Eugene Sims, Cody Davis and Cory Harkey they come because it's a new era. Expect some extra roster moves to come with the new look coaching staff in Los Angeles.

Trades: $5,3591,077 saved
OLB Mark Barron & DE William Hayes traded to Cleveland Browns for ILB Demario Davis and NT Danny Shelton

Analysis:
I have been thinking for awhile that Hayes and Barron really fit with Gregg Williams scheme and may not be part of the plans moving forward for the new look Wade Phillips defense. That's not to say Phillips wouldn't be against keeping them, but with lengthy and hefty contracts on top of lack of fit I would likely trade them away now. The Rams need another inside linebacker and a nose tackle. Introducing both of those needs addressed by acquiring Demario Davis and Danny Shelton. Davis is more of a plug-in-play for the Rams defense as they could possibly grab their inside linebacker in next year's draft and Shelton gets to move Brockers over in a role that could utilize his underrated strength as a pass rusher. It sure would look like a nightmare scenario for opposing offenses to have to go up against Brockers, Shelton and Donald on the line.

Other Cap Moves: $9,169,193 saved
DE Robert Quinn $3,591,077 saved with base salary restructure
WR Tavon Austin $2,180,000 saved with base salary restructure
G Rodger Saffold $1,911,116 saved with base salary restructure
TE Lance Kendricks $1,487,000 saved with base salary restructure

Analysis:
This one is pretty obvious. The players listed above have been unable to live up to their respective contracts. This wouldn't be a pay cut this just allocates the money and lowers the cap hit for this year. If players like Tom Brady can restructure their contract year in and year out then these guys can as well.

Re-signings: $21,690,000
RB Chase Reynolds $900,000 annually
DE Matt Longacre $840,000 annually
DE Ethan Westbrooks $1,750,000 annually
DT Dominique Easley $3,000,000 annually
CB Blake Countess $700,000 annually
CB Trumaine Johnson $13,000,000 annually
K Greg Zuerlein $1,500,000 annually

Analysis:
The biggest headline is what will happen with Trumaine Johnson? The Rams let Janoris Jenkins leave in free agency last year to keep Johnson. It's time they actually gave a contract to their cornerback. The other guys mentioned like Easley, Longacre, Westbrooks and Zuerlein will all have spots on the Rams roster. Blake Countess is someone I expect the Rams to bring back and have compete for a roster spot in camp. Coach Bones is back with the Rams, expect him to retain Chase Reynolds for his special teams. I believe the Rams will lose T.J. McDonald and Benny Cunningham in free agency.

Free agent signings: $34,000,000
WR Pierre Garcon $8,500,000 annually
WR Robert Woods $8,000,000 annually
OT Benjamin Ijalana $4,000,000 annually
OT Jordan Mills $1,500,000 annually
CB AJ Bouye $11,000,000 annually
CB Kayvon Webster $1,000,000 annually

Analysis:
The Rams are unlikely to bring back Kenny Britt or Brian Quick who were made up of over half of the offensive production last season. To replace them? How about a seasoned veteran Sean McVay knows and a 24-year old that has already surpassed anything Quick did with the Rams. The Rams would have Robert Woods, Pierre Garcon, Tavon Austin and Pharoh Cooper as their top four wide receivers which would be a huge improvement over of the last seven years. Ben Ijalana would be the solid addition from the Jets who could be plugged in at left tackle in front of a draft pick or if god forbid . . . the Rams still think Greg Robinson can play left tackle. Jordan Mills from Buffalo would be the one piece that comes over to join new OL coach Aaron Kromer who is from the Bills. Both A.J. Bouye and Kayvon Webster were coached by Wade Phillips and I think that connection guarantees Webster to the Rams, but makes it likely Bouye leaves for the Rams if he actually ends up leaving Houston.

Free agent losses:
QB Case Keenum
RB Benny Cunningham
WR Kenny Britt
WR Brian Quick
DT Cam Thomas
SS T.J. McDonald

2017 Draft Picks:
2nd Round 37th: Ethan Pocic, C, LSU
3rd Round 69th: Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado
4th Round 112th: Roderick Johnson, OT, Florida State
4th Round 141st: Fish Smithson, FS, Kansas
5th Round 149th: Glen Antoine, NT, Idaho
6th Round 161st: Joe Mathis, EDGE, Washington
7th Round 225th: Jalen Robinette, WR, Air Force
7th Round 236rd: Joshua Dobbs, QB, Tennessee

53-Man Roster:
QB: Jared Goff/Sean Mannion/Joshua Dobbs
RB (5): Todd Gurley/Malcolm Brown/Aaron Green/Chase Reynolds (ST)
WR: Robert Woods/Jalen Robinette
WR: Pierre Garcon/Nelson Spruce
SWR: Tavon Austin/Pharoh Cooper
TE (3): Lance Kendricks/Tyler Higbee/Temarrick Hemingway
LT: Benjamin Ijalana/Roderick Johnson
LG: Greg Robinson/Jamon Brown
C: Ethan Pocic/Cody Wichmann
RG: Rodger Saffold/Andrew Donnal
RT: Rob Havenstein/Jordan Mills
DE: Aaron Donald/Dominique Easley
NT: Danny Shelton/Glen Antoine
DE: Michael Brockers/Ethan Westbrooks
OLB: Josh Forrest/Joe Mathis
ILB: Alec Ogletree/Bryce Hager
ILB: Demario Davis/Cory Littleton
OLB: Robert Quinn/Matt Longacre
CB: Trumaine Johnson/Mike Jordan
CB: A.J. Bouye/Kayvon Webster
NCB: Chidobe Awuzie/LaMarcus Joyner
FS: Fish Smithson/Brian Randolph
SS: Maurice Alexander/Marqui Christian
K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

Practice Squad:
RB Shock Linwood, Baylor
WR Paul McRoberts, SE Missouri State
TE Bryce Williams, East Carolina
OT Pace Murphy, Northwestern State
G Jessamen Dunker, Tennessee State
ILB Cassanova McKinzy, Auburn
OLB Javancy Jones, Jackson State
CB Blake Countess, Auburn
CB Daquan Holmes, American International, College
SS Leon McQuay III, USC

Final summary:
In this scenario the Rams finish the 2017 off-season with little to no positional weaknesses. I believe that you really can't do much at QB seeing as how much stock has been poured into Jared Goff. Todd Gurley leads a good group of all returning running backs besides Benny Cunningham who is in this scenario leaves in free agency. The Rams bulk up their wide receiver corps with new WR's Pierre Garcon and Robert Woods leading the charge with their field stretcher in the form of Tavon Austin in the slot. Out of the tight end position the Rams keep it pretty similar to last year in hopes of developing Higbee and Hemingway the right way. The offensive line stays pretty similar to last year's except for the addition of Ethan Pocic at center via the draft and a new left tackle to be a placeholder for the time being in former Jets left tackle Benjamin Ijalana.

With the switch to the 3-4 base defense that Wade Phillips runs, the Rams move their face of the franchise Aaron Donald to defensive end along with former defensive tackle Michael Brockers due in part to a trade with Cleveland. The Rams trade DE William Hayes and OLB Mark Barron to the defensive scheme they fit the most. In return the Rams receive a veteran who can start immediately as an inside backer in a 3-4 Demario Davis and a true nose tackle in young stud Danny Shelton. Robert Quinn mans the "Von Miller" role on the edge standing up as a pass rusher and Phillips starts former sixth round pick Josh Forrest on the outside so he can now fit the scheme. What is most impressive is the type of secondary Phillips has himself built in the first season in Los Angeles. Right off the bat he has a 6-foot-2 physical CB Trumaine Johnson, 6-foot CB he coached in Houston A.J. Bouye and at nickel corner he has Colorado stud third rounder Chidobe Awuzie. Playing behind them, fourth round pick Fish Smithson starts at free safety to allow rising star safety Maurice Alexander to kick into his natural position at strong safety.

There is no telling how well this team will compete in Sean McVay's rookie year as a Head coach but this is the ultimate off-season that the Rams brass can put together for McVay to succeed. It would just be up to him after all of these moves. Looking forward to Free Agency, the NFL scouting combine and the eventual NFL draft this gives you an idea of the type of moves general manager Les Snead will have to make to give his young head coach the best chance to succeed.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
WOW @jakebogen95 that is a ton to digest...On the trade not sure the Browns deal Shelton understood the scheme, but he was a first round selection and I'm not so sure Wade Phillips wants to trade Barron either. Keep in mind Brockers did play the NT position at LSU although I would rather have someone else with a lower sense of gravity who can absorb more of the hits and keep Brockers cleaner because of his past ankle issues.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
WOW @jakebogen95 that is a ton to digest...On the trade not sure the Browns deal Shelton understood the scheme, but he was a first round selection and I'm not so sure Wade Phillips wants to trade Barron either. Keep in mind Brockers did play the NT position at LSU although I would rather have someone else with a lower sense of gravity who can absorb more of the hits and keep Brockers cleaner because of his past ankle issues.
Yeah ahaha I put a ton of work into it. I think with the trade Gregg Williams won't really want Shelton, I mean he really doesn't fit a 4-3 (although he is athletic) but my point is I think this is the key in an ultimate scenario you shed some salary and it helps both teams out. Thanks for reading!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Many have the Browns and Rams making a trade, it will be interesting if it actually comes to fruition. That deal makes a ton of sense and would add to the first round picks on the defensive line. Williams loves Barron so if Phillips wants someone else I can understand the deal, but I have a feeling Rams will keep Barron and sign another NT who is available or draft one too.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Many have the Browns and Rams making a trade, it will be interesting if it actually comes to fruition. That deal makes a ton of sense and would add to the first round picks on the defensive line. Williams loves Barron so if Phillips wants someone else I can understand the deal, but I have a feeling Rams will keep Barron and sign another NT who is available or draft one too.
Yeah I think TJ McDonald is also going to sign with the Browns. They have a ton of cap and Gregg Williams had his favorites in that defense. Joyner could be a trade candidate too. Either way this off-season is going to be interesting.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Jake, a lot of work went into this, very good job! I like the direction.

1) Kendricks is gone. Can't block and drops too many 3rd down and clutch passes. Higbee, Harkey, and a draftee are likely to fill a void here. Sends a message a new boss is in town. Play hard and focus or be cut.

2) Not sure what happened to Gaines here. He took a step back this year, but was never fully healthy. I'd keep him around and hope he reprises his preformance from his rookie year.

3) I like the trade idea, just unsure of moving Brockers to the edge.

4) Any reason Littleton and Forrest have switched positions? I like both players, but would prefer both to remain where they were drafted at.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Jake, a lot of work went into this, very good job! I like the direction.

1) Kendricks is gone. Can't block and drops too many 3rd down and clutch passes. Higbee, Harkey, and a draftee are likely to fill a void here. Sends a message a new boss is in town. Play hard and focus or be cut.

2) Not sure what happened to Gaines here. He took a step back this year, but was never fully healthy. I'd keep him around and hope he reprises his preformance from his rookie year.

3) I like the trade idea, just unsure of moving Brockers to the edge.

4) Any reason Littleton and Forrest have switched positions? I like both players, but would prefer both to remain where they were drafted at.
Thank you! I think Kendricks stays to be honest everyone has Vernon Davis going to the Rams because of McVay. I disagree I think McVay is looking to do what he did with Vernon and do it with Kendricks. He talked him up big time so far. It could be smokescreen but I don't get the mysterious Fisher vibe with McVay. With Gaines I had him being on the off-season roster I just had him missing the cut by getting outplayed by Mike Jordan (who looked the best out of the bunch besides Tru). I love the trade and I love Brockers on the edge in a 3-4. He wants to rush the passer and has potential to do it. Nose tackle will never give him that opportunity. Lastly, I think Littleton and Forrest are interchangeable so take the positions with a grain of salt. I absolutely love Littleton it says alot he made the 53 missing OTAs (to graduate). Huge fan of his and it says even more he was named Rams Rookie of the Year. I hope he has a bigger role this year.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I like Littleton too. Not sure, which Mike Jordan you were watching, but his couple games he looked like he was on roller skates. I also think Gaines will excel in Wade's system that doesn't create 10 yd gaps of off coverage. He played very well in the slot where he had to play tight and close to the line.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I like Littleton too. Not sure, which Mike Jordan you were watching, but his couple games he looked like he was on roller skates. I also think Gaines will excel in Wade's system that doesn't create 10 yd gaps of off coverage. He played very well in the slot where he had to play tight and close to the line.
Jordan was erratic. He actually was good though for the most part. Big responsibility for a guy who spent the whole season on the practice squad.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I thought releasing or trading someone caused all bonuses to be charged to the team. So wouldn't Barron being traded cause less cap space than more?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure when it comes to the cap, calling on @LACHAMP46 @jrry32 or @BonifayRam to extrapolate on this...Gentlemen?
For this coming season no. Davis and Shelton combine for roughly $8 million total. Barron has a 2017 cap hit of $11 million and Hayes is $5.5 million.

People need to stop restructuring contracts! Demoff sets them up the way he does to lessen the cap hit in later years if we part ways with them. Quinns cap hit right now if he's cut after this season is $955k, you just added a couple million to it. Tavon's cap hit if he's cut after this year is $0.0000 you just added a couple million to it. Hendricks only has roster bonuses left on his contract there's no guaranteed money in it left but now you're creating a cap hit next year. Kendricks as well only $1 million signing bonus left after this year but we're going to push a couple more guaranteed million into next year. Several things can be done in your scenario to alleviate having to restructure deals. One don't overpay Woods, sign Kendal Wright or Kamar Aiken for a little less.

Excellent work and a lot of effort put into this but restructuring all those deals is putting a band aid on this year and creating issues with next years cap when there is going to be some very good young WR's coming on the free agent market, better than Woods.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
For this coming season no. Davis and Shelton combine for roughly $8 million total. Barron has a 2017 cap hit of $11 million and Hayes is $5.5 million.

People need to stop restructuring contracts! Demoff sets them up the way he does to lessen the cap hit in later years if we part ways with them. Quinns cap hit right now if he's cut after this season is $955k, you just added a couple million to it. Tavon's cap hit if he's cut after this year is $0.0000 you just added a couple million to it. Hendricks only has roster bonuses left on his contract there's no guaranteed money in it left but now you're creating a cap hit next year. Kendricks as well only $1 million signing bonus left after this year but we're going to push a couple more guaranteed million into next year. Several things can be done in your scenario to alleviate having to restructure deals. One don't overpay Woods, sign Kendal Wright or Kamar Aiken for a little less.

Excellent work and a lot of effort put into this but restructuring all those deals is putting a band aid on this year and creating issues with next years cap when there is going to be some very good young WR's coming on the free agent market, better than Woods.
Thank you! I appreciate that. The restructuring can be done if it is spread out properly which is how I would have had it. I really have a huge thing for Woods I think he is going to be a star and so is Robinette when he develops.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
In order to change the losing culture you have to clean house
Kind of felt like we should have let Les Snead go. Worst general managing i have ever seen in 2016. I wanted Chris Ballard. Oh well, I guess we will find out