River's WK 9 2017 Mock ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Re-sign :

CB - Tru Johnson
WR - Kenny Britt
RB - Benny Cunningham
SS - T.J. McDonald
WR - Quick = ?

CAP Cut :

Saffold

Free Agency signings :

LT - Matt Kalil (back starting in the Coliseum ?)
LG - Luke Joeckel (could be a bargain coming off IR)

Draft :

1) N/A
2) C/OG - Ethan Pocic, LSU or Pat Elflein, Oh.St
3) OG/OT - Zach Banner, USC
4) WR - Travin Dural, LSU
5) S - Jonathan Ford, Aub.
6) CB - Chidobe Awuzie, Co.

Offensive Line :

LT - Matt Kalil,
LG - Luke Joeckel, Banner, Wichmann
C - Ethan Pocic, Barnes
RG - GRob, Brown
RT - Havenstein, Banner

Gone :

Rhaney
Murphy
Keenum

Major roster fights between Donnal, Banner, Wichmann, Brown, Williams & Battle for reserve roles.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I'm down w/ this. But I think Tenn has our 3rd, and I think we have a good chance to recoup a 3rd via losing JJ to the Giants and be rewarded a 3rd for that loss.

I agree the OL needs to be fixed asap!!!!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm down w/ this. But I think Tenn has our 3rd, and I think we have a good chance to recoup a 3rd via losing JJ to the Giants and be rewarded a 3rd for that loss.

As you have guessed, my mock is based on our retrieving a compensatory 3'rd round draft pick. My understanding is that if/when we are awarded a 3'rd, Tennessee would get the comp pick and the Rams would keep their higher regular pick.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Tennessee gets the conditional third round pick.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
@Riverumbbq

I would be down with the early picks. It is too soon for me to think much on the late picks but I would love it if the Rams drafted Pocic and Banner. They need a facelift on the Oline and it starts with a new Oline coach. Give him some good players to work with and move on from the guys that Bou picked during draft evals.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Joeckel is a god awful player. He's consistently been the weakest link on the Jaguars OL. He's worse than our OGs. Kalil has struggled the past few years. Might be a worse option than Robinson.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Joeckel is a god awful player. He's consistently been the weakest link on the Jaguars OL. He's worse than our OGs. Kalil has struggled the past few years. Might be a worse option than Robinson.

I'm not sure how you judged Joeckel as an OG since he has so few starts at the position. Now, ... i'd agree with your assessment if we were putting him in at LT, but as you can see, I have him penciled in at LG. As mentioned earlier, he should be exceptionally cheap coming off IR and his failures at OT, probably not much more expensive than at a player minimum. Many similarities to GRob career wise, and both may require a position change to resurrect their careers, i'm not willing to pass on either considering cost & potential. I'll add another name to the potential boom or bust free agent category, that being IR'd DE Dion Jordan at DE due to knee problems. He hasn't played since 2014 and should also become available at a very low price. Being we haven't got the draft ammunition in 2017, some gambling with free agency may be necessary to achieve another level of play, so I offer two players which could come relatively inexpensively along with short-term 'prove it' contractual lifespans.

Slight adjustment in the order of draft :

1) N/A
2) C/OG - Ethan Pocic, LSU or Pat Elflein, Oh.St
3) OG/OT - Zach Banner, USC
4) CB - Chidobe Awuzie, Co.
5) S - Jonathan Ford, Aub.
6) WR - Travin Dural, LSU

Adjustment to Free Agency :

LT - Matt Kalil (back starting in the Coliseum ?)
LG - Luke Joeckel (should be a bargain coming off IR)
WR - Alshon Jeffery
DE - Dion Jordan (another IR bargain)

Re-sign :

CB - Tru Johnson
WR - Kenny Britt
RB - Benny Cunningham
SS - T.J. McDonald

CAP Cut :

OG/OT - Saffold
DE - Sims

Allow to walk :

WR - Quick
DE - Sims
C/OG - Rhaney
OT - Murphy
QB - Keenum

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Not sure that I like 3 of our 4 free agents being such huge injury risks and Joeckel just isn't good. Also it's becoming more and more apparent that we need to put somebody new in the DE rotation. Quinn is becoming a huge injury problem and you cut/walk Sims.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Not sure that I like 3 of our 4 free agents being such huge injury risks and Joeckel just isn't good. Also it's becoming more and more apparent that we need to put somebody new in the DE rotation. Quinn is becoming a huge injury problem and you cut/walk Sims.

Again, Joeckel isn't a good LT, but his work as an OG can't be graded due to lack of attempts. Much the same can be said of GRob. My mock isn't really about anything other than what I see as practicality over cost and necessity, ... at least imo. Consider also I have a 3'rd round OG in my mock, not counting depth already on the roster which hopefully improves somewhat, but Joeckel shouldn't be underestimated based against cost, even if released during camp. Re-signing Tru Johnson, Britt & TJ will come at a price, and Ogletree's contract is up after next year, so CAP allowances should be made for him also. Signing Alshon Jeffery will also be costly, although game changing imo. Saffold & Sims are CAP cuts which make up a small portion of the difference, even if we are in a pretty solid CAP position entering 2017. I'd also consider Barnes as a potential CAP cut if more room needs to be made and Wichmann shows the potential to back-up at Center. Our draft minus a 1'st rounder is painful enough, but it will lower our normal draft CAP increase in a big way. Joeckel & Jordan are low cost additions, even Kalil should be in that lower-cost category based on injury & effectiveness, and yes, they all have boom or bust written all over them, but I believe the potential gains are difficult to resist and they should be very CAP friendly. Not much of a gamble for me, our OL sucks, so i'm looking to at least get from bad to average with as many needs we have and how poor our draft is at the top. Since it doesn't count against CAP, i'd rather us spend money to improve OL coaching.
I'd love to use a #1 draft pick on a DE, but we'll need to wait until 2018 for that kind of move, Quinn & Hayes are getting scary going forward, i'm not sure we have won a game this season where Quinn was out of the line-up, and Hayes could easily become a CAP casualty in 2018, he's just no longer starting material. jmo.

Last edited: