River's McVay/Wade Mock ... No trades

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Re-sign :

Tru Johnson
Easley
Zuerlein

CAP cuts :

Kendricks
Sims
Barnes
Rhaney

Not to be resigned Free Agents :

Britt
Keenum
Quick
Cunningham
Reynolds
Cam Thomas
TJ McDonald
Westbrooks (RFA)
Longacre (ERFA)
Trinca-Pasat (ERFA)

2017 Free Agency: Approximately $54.mil in available CAP

OLB - Nick Perry
DT - Abry Jones
C - J.C. Tretter
TE - Jack Doyle
WR - Alshon Jeffery

2017 Draft :

1) n/a
2) LT - Dion Dawkins, Temple
3) DE - Tanoh Kpassagnon, Vil.
4a) OG - Nico Siragusa, SD St.
4b) CB - Marquez White, Fl.St. (Comp Pick)
5) WR - Travin Dural, LSU
6a) FS - Rayshawn Jenkins, Miami
6b) ILB - Marquel Lee, W.F. (Comp Pick)
7) FB - Freddie Stevenson, Fl.St.

Offense (26) :

LT - Dawkins, Williams
LG - Saffold, Wichmann, Siragusa
C - Tretter, Wichmann
RG - GRob, Brown, Siragusa
RT - Havenstein, Donnal

RB - Gurley, Brown, Green

TE - Doyle, Higbee, Hemmingway

FB - Harkey or Stevenson

WR - Jeffery, Austin, Cooper, Spruce, M.Thomas, Dural

QB - Goff, Mannion

Defense (24) :

LDE - Easley, Hayes
NT - Brockers, Jones
RDE - Donald, Kpassagnon

LOLB - Perry, Fox
LILB - Forest, Hager, Lee
RILB - Ogletree, Barron
ROLB - Quinn, Fox

CB - Tru Johnson, Gaines, Joyner, Jordan, White

SS - Barron, Alexander
FS - Alexander, Joyner, Jenkins, Davis

Special Teams (3) :

P - Hekker
K - Zuerlein
LS - McQuaide

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Interesting....all ready for the 3/4 huh? I'm gonna look up a couple of these rooks b4 commenting. But nice job getting the line together.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I like this a lot. Dawkins was one I'd asked Jrry about and have looked into a bit myself and I think he could be a good LT, not great but a good one. Also like the additions to the defense.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Our $9m man Barron is on the bench? If that's the case, he better be open to a cap cut.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Our $9m man Barron is on the bench? If that's the case, he better be open to a cap cut.

Look again. Barron goes back to being our starting SS. He'd also be used in a hybrid role to back-up at ILB.

Last edited:

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Look again. Barron goes back to being our starting SS. He'd also be used in a hybrid role to back-up at ILB.
My bad bbq. Read through it too fast. Not sure Mo fits as a FS in conventional defenses.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I'd pass on Kpassagnon. I wouldn't spend a 3rd on a rotational player when Isaiah Ford may be available. Ford would flourish in McVays offense.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'd pass on Kpassagnon. I wouldn't spend a 3rd on a rotational player when Isaiah Ford may be available. Ford would flourish in McVays offense.

Kpassagnon might turn out to be the best player out of all of River's picks. He's got a ton of potential.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Hayes may be looking at his final season as a Ram in 2017. Not only will he be 32 years old this time next year, he'll add no dead CAP cost to the team if he's released from his contract prior to 2018. Hayes has been a decent replacement for Chris Long, but he's not elite, the Rams should start thinking about some new blood at his position before we find ourselves with another hole to fill. jmo.

lockdnram21

Legend
Its OK except for keeping Tru.... Everybody knows I think Tru is overrated and is not a #1 cb... Besides that its cool...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like a lot of aspects of it. Here are my couple complaints:
1. I think we're still short-handed at CB because I'm not a huge fan of Marquez White. I like the way he plays the run, but I wasn't impressed with his cover skills.
2. I don't think throwing money at Jack Doyle is worth it for us. I'd rather use that money on a CB.

One other thing I want to note is that I'm not sure about Dion Dawkins at LT. I haven't evaluated him yet, but people I trust have said that they think he's more of a RT at the NFL level. What are your thoughts on him?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I like a lot of aspects of it. Here are my couple complaints:
1. I think we're still short-handed at CB because I'm not a huge fan of Marquez White. I like the way he plays the run, but I wasn't impressed with his cover skills.
2. I don't think throwing money at Jack Doyle is worth it for us. I'd rather use that money on a CB.

One other thing I want to note is that I'm not sure about Dion Dawkins at LT. I haven't evaluated him yet, but people I trust have said that they think he's more of a RT at the NFL level. What are your thoughts on him?

True, we won't be able to fix every unit on our team in one season, but I do retain some confidence that our DB's can perform better than last season. An improved pass rush will help, and I believe we can accomplish that with this front seven 3/4. I also liked what little I saw from rookie Mike Jordan, and if he can build off 2016, he may become a factor. Gaines was a disappointment last season, but will return healthier. I'd use both Joyner and Barron as hybrids of sorts, Joyner doing double duty as a nickel CB and FS, Barron doing double duty as ILB and SS.

I wouldn't exactly be throwing money at Jack Doyle, although believe we can sign him for Kendricks type wages and receive a better player in return.

The eye test for Dion Dawkins might show him as more of a standard issue RT on first observation because of his type frame, but he has long arms, a very quick step and good feet, ... long, extremely strong and dominant when he keeps his pads low. Dawkins stock fell some because of a fight with another student which got him arrested. Coming from a pro style offense also has him well ahead of the 8 ball, as we need someone who can step in tomorrow. NFL Draft Scout lists Dawkins as their overall # 2 OT, while Rob Rang writes this :

STRENGTHS: Sports a massive chest freezer-like frame which he uses to simply engulf defenders at the point of attack. Though his square-ish frame looks better suited to guard or right tackle, Dawkins shows impressive initial quickness, balance and patience in pass protection, as well as the long arms needed to steer defenders away from the ball. He shows natural mirror skills, easily sliding left and right to keep defenders squarely in front him and plays with a calm patience, easing out of his stance and waiting for defenders to come to him. Dawkins is a coordinated, balanced athlete but plays with a brawling mentality, jolting opponents with his initial punch and working to sustain blocks in the running game. When he keeps his pad level low, Dawkins can drive defenders off the ball, firing out of his three-point stance. He is highly respected by the Temple coaches and players, being honored with a single digit jersey (only awarded to the toughest players on the team) as a sophomore, though NCAA jersey restrictions keep offensive linemen from wearing one during games.

WEAKNESSES: Has been able to get away with lax technique at this level and simply wall off defenders with his size. Too often negates his own power and agility by coming off the ball too high and bending at the waist. Lacks accuracy with his initial punch, hitting his target high and stopping his feet on contact, failing to sustain blocks effectively. Comes with some character red flags as he was arrested (along with teammate Haason Reddick) for their suspected involvement in a fight with a fellow Temple student outside of a Philadelphia nightclub. There were multiple charges for both players, including felony aggravated assault and conspiracy charges. Represented by the same legal firm and protesting their innocence, each avoided trial by agreeing to deal which placed them in a diversionary program, Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition (ARD), which is normally associated with non-violent crimes.

IN OUR VIEW: Football is a big man's game and they don't come much bigger or more powerful than Dawkins. With the frame, power, agility and mentality to help quickly at tackle or guard, Dawkins looks like a potential Day One starter.

COMPARES TO: Donovan Smith, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: The 6-foot-6, 338 pound Smith was a "surprise" as the No. 34 overall pick two years ago but has since justified his selection as the Bucs' starting left tackle. Like Smith, Dawkins will always be vulnerable to the speediest of edge rushers but his length and feet make him surprisingly effective in pass protection and a force in the running game.

--Rob Rang, 12-29-16

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fair enough. The Donovan Smith comparison makes me apprehensive about him at LT. Will have to check him out.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Fair enough. The Donovan Smith comparison makes me apprehensive about him at LT. Will have to check him out.

Another year of Greg Robinson makes me apprehensive at LT. :help:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Its OK except for keeping Tru.... Everybody knows I think Tru is overrated and is not a #1 cb... Besides that its cool...

I agree that this board may over-rate him somewhat, he's still pretty good, whether that warrants another franchise tag is very debatable. One of the more recent tweeter posts on the main forum has 'Fisher guys' like Tru Johnson and Britt being allowed to walk, and I wouldn't be broken hearted if it came to that as my mock had already built in $12mil. towards TJ's CAP hit, so this would allow me to go after Morris Clairborne while saving some money in the process. jmo.

lockdnram21

Legend
I agree that this board may over-rate him somewhat, he's still pretty good, whether that warrants another franchise tag is very debatable. One of the more recent tweeter posts on the main forum has 'Fisher guys' like Tru Johnson and Britt being allowed to walk, and I wouldn't be broken hearted if it came to that as my mock had already built in $12mil. towards TJ's CAP hit, so this would allow me to go after Morris Clairborne while saving some money in the process. jmo.
Claiborne is better to... Just hope he could stay healthy

TexasRam

Legend
The next person that includes Grob in their starting lineup ...

tumblr_m6fu7f0oe31rwcc6bo1_500.gif