River's annual & extremely early 2015 Mock off-season ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
My annual gesture for an early opinion on how to build for 2015 is hereby offered :
icon_mrgreen.gif

First off, Fisher gets another season. Can't fire a guy with such a young team who also loses his star QB & LDE. As for our OC, that's another matter imo, regardless whether the team tanks with a 3 - 13 or a 7 - 9 record.
I may be in the minority here, but I cut and attempt to re-sign Sam Bradford to a two year, $10.mil. fully guaranteed contact ( $5.mil.per). Should Sam get & stay healthy, prove to turn his career around in 2015, not only do we benefit from his veteran abilities immediately ( I realize this is arguable among many ), but we substantially increase his 2016 trade value.
For many years now I have advocated moving James Laurinaitis outside, 2015 finally gets it done.

Cuts : Center Wells as well as either Jones or Barnes go. OLB JoLonn Dunbar, OG Davin Joseph, QB Hill are all history. Trade or cut outright DT Langford.

Re-sign : TE's Kendricks & Harkey, WR's Britt & Pettis, P Hekker, QB Davis as our # 3. Attempt to re-sign RT Barksdale, although wouldn't be surprised if he out prices his value to the rams.

Based on previously mentioned cuts and re-signing Bradford, i've roughly estimated 2015 CAP savings at approximately $24.mil., give or take, including dead money and depending on guys like Barksdale/Pead and a few others not yet mentioned being let go or brought back. Additional costs will result in those already mentioned Rams free agents who will be returning. Besides this, the 2015 league-wide total CAP allowance should rise as the new NFL/TV rights contracts kicks in next year, probably growing at a pace at least as large as last seasons $10.mil. raise in the CAP. The Rams 2015 CAP space should be larger than anytime in the teams recent past, ... this is a testimony to our excellent front office team management. So, imagine our Rams with as much young talent as we shall be returning, and possibly as much as $35mil. in additional spendable dollars to be applied to the 2015 draft class, and improving depth with some solid veteran free agents. Fishers reluctance in previous years to rely on highly rated free agents may take a back seat to his going into his 4'th year with several consecutive losing seasons.

Outside 2015 free agents :
I have 4 key positions, but mention 6 choices listed as areas for primary immediate improvement :

MLB - Brandon Spikes, Buf.

CENTER - Brian de la Puente, Chi. or Stefen Wisniewski, Cin.

DT - Terrance Knighton, Den. or (Yes, I would pay big for these next 2) Nick Fairly, Det./ Gerald McCoy, TB.

FS - Rahim Moore, Den. or Stevie Brown, NYG. or Louis Delmas, Mia. or Devin McCourty, NE.

LG - Mike Iupati, SF.

CB - Bryan Maxwell, Sea. or Chris Harris, Den.

2015 NFL Draft :

1) QB - Marcus Mariota, Or.
2) C - Reese Dismukes, Aub.
3) OG - Arie Kouandjio, Ala
4) FS - Cody Prewitt, Ole Miss.

5 thru 7 for depth or applied to move up in draft. ( including any possible pick from trading Langford).

Should Barksdale not return, I would not hesitate filling RT with Greg Robinson. Its also past time to move Saffold to the position where he has looked best, RG.
Hopefully Mariota would get a year on the bench behind Bradford, but should Bradford go down again, at least we have his permanent replacement ready to go. Settling our Center position must be near the top of our priority list if the O-Line is going to make strides in the future. Improvement on the D-Line, LB corps & secondary all addressed, while the youngsters continue to gather experience. JMO

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Welcome,RRBBQ! Seen you post at the PD and like your homerism!:) Too soon for me to get into next year's personnel moves, though!

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
^^^Yeah I was going to ask the same thing because right now, I think he's the #1 overall pick.

bigdog2834

UDFA
Name
Donnie
You never know. Bridgewater was considered the #1 pick, or at the very least the #1 QB off the board by a lot of well respected mock drafts for pretty much the entire college football season and we saw how that turned out.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Where does Mariota fall to in your draft?
It's not so much how far I believe Mariota falls, it's more about how far the Rams fall. While I do believe Mariota is a likely # 1 overall draft pick, i'm just not ready to drop the Rams as still competing for his services. With teams like Jacksonville and Oakland still seeking their first victory, speculating on where the Rams finish in the standings is something I'm not quite ready to be too specific on just yet. We face a long and difficult season, mostly without our starting LDE, and with very unproven QB's. Our new DC hasn't yet gotten our defense playing as expected, our O-Line looks anemic, penalties are killing us, the running game hasn't really materialized, and the coaching has been questionable. Even our starting line-ups create room for debate.
The Rams may very well fall out of the run for Mariota, but with guys like Winston, Hundley & Hogan moving up and down the 1'st round chart between now and draft day, the point remains that, imo, the Rams use that first pick of theirs to seek out our QB of the future. It may be fated that with this years schedule, along with our current and any future injuries this season, we may have our best shot at a so-called 'franchise' QB since Bradford landed here. Mariota just happens to be the guy I prefer at this point. As with my mock, many changes will occur throughout the rest of this season and the off-season, but for entertainment reasons only, I find myself having offered these early speculations just for fun, for several years now. I'm always interested in how others see it, as speculation is what we all do best. jmo.