'Rivalry' resumes for 49ers, Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
<a class="postlink" href="http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/sports/pro/football&id=9261936" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sectio ... id=9261936</a>

[flv]http://dig.abclocal.go.com/kgo/video/2013/09/25/kgo-092513-jl-4pm-niners-preview_500.mp4[/flv]

icon_ap_byline.gif

ST. LOUIS -- Though the St. Louis Rams were among the few teams enjoying the upper hand against the San Francisco 49ers last year, coach Jeff Fisher says it's far from a rivalry.

Counting one playoff game, the series that used to be a battle of California is tied 62-62-3, with both teams at .500 at home and on the road entering Thursday night's matchup. Hall of Famer Eric Dickerson showed up for Rams practice during the short-week buildup and fondly recalled any 49ers matchup as a big game.

"We hate the Niners," said the 53-year-old Dickerson, who starred for the Los Angeles Rams in the 1980s. "That hasn't changed. Anytime you face the 49ers I like their chances, even if the Rams were 0-5

"There's something about that game, the level of play steps up."
San Francisco dominated for a long stretch before 2012, going 11-3 the previous seven seasons.

"Last year we got our feet back on the map," Fisher said. "But I don't think there's a rivalry yet. Hopefully, it will become one."

Since beating the Packers in the opener, the 49ers have been outscored 36-10 in losses to Seattle and Indianapolis. Sam Bradford absorbed his first six sacks of the year and the Rams (also 1-2) fell behind early for the third straight time - way behind - in a 31-7 setback at Dallas.

"We're facing adversity. It gives us the opportunity to stare it in the face and respond," 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said. "That's a relentless quest for improvement, that's where we're at."

Five things to watch for in 49ers-Rams:

FAMILIAR FOES: Besides meeting twice a year, last season they played nearly 10 quarters, with the first NFL tie in four seasons and a Rams victory late in overtime in the rematch. While both sides bemoaned missed opportunities, they loved what Fisher called "knock-down, drag-out" games that Harbaugh noted were "hotly contested."

"That's football in the good old days, the good old Big Ten football - you feel like you're playing Wisconsin or Michigan State again," Rams linebacker James Laurinaitis said.

S-L-O-W STARTS: The Rams have trailed by double digits all three games, overcoming an 11-point deficit against Arizona, falling a TD shy after Atlanta built a 21-point bulge, and coming up empty against the Cowboys.

The last two games, the 49ers' offense also has been a non-starter. Colin Kaepernick was 13 for 27 for 150 yards with an interception and three sacks.

"The effort's been extremely good and the precision needs to be better," Harbaugh said.

OFF AND RUNNING: Kaepernick hasn't hurt defenses much with his legs thus far, and the Rams will do their best to keep it that way by making him pay for any forays.

Neither team has generated much on the ground, with Frank Gore getting just 11 carries last week and totaling 142 yards on the season. No Rams players are over 100 yards. St. Louis hasn't run much because it's been playing catch-up all the time.

Neither had much luck running last year, either, with both Gore and St. Louis' Steven Jackson averaging less than 3 yards per carry.

PENALTY PROBLEMS: San Francisco followed 12 penalties for 121 yards in a 29-3 rout at Seattle with six more for 48 yards in Sunday's 27-7 loss to the Colts, taking the 49ers' flag total to 29.

San Francisco's defense gave Indianapolis five first downs by penalty, including on the first two snaps of the game. Three penalties were called on cornerback Tarell Brown.

"There were first downs by penalty. And, again, in a game that we were really a touchdown away at 13-7, up until seven minutes left in the fourth quarter, and there was a key drive there," Harbaugh said. "I think our defense, that's not something we want to be about. We don't want to be giving first downs by penalty and we'll keep working at it."

NEW-LOOK LBs: 49ers All-Pro LB Aldon Smith is away from the team indefinitely to undergo treatment for substance abuse. Fellow All-Pro Patrick Willis is nursing a groin injury that could sideline him, too. That means some shuffling, and playing time for untested backups.

Dan Skuta, Corey Lemonier and Demarcus Dobbs will have larger roles in the effort to end the first losing streak of Harbaugh's three seasons.

"Guys will be ready to step in there," safety Donte Whitner said. "There's no time for excuses. It's all good when you're winning games two years in a row, but a little adversity here and we'll see what we're made of."

(Copyright ©2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
God I can't tell you anything else I hate more than pompous spoiled fair weather Cardinal fans. Half of these "knowledgeable baseball fans" probably couldn't even tell you who the fuck Ray Lankford is. I love the Cardinals btw, but overall I support my city.

Fuck this station too for trying to promote that shit. What does them trying to say we're only a baseball town (then showing the 2 people from the same side of the argument) have anything to do with the Rams/Pussies rivalry anyway?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Username said:
God I can't tell you anything else I hate more than pompous spoiled fair weather Cardinal fans. Half of these "knowledgeable baseball fans" probably couldn't even tell you who the fuck Ray Lankford is. I love the Cardinals btw, but overall I support my city.

Fuck this station too for trying to promote that shit. What does them trying to say we're only a baseball town (then showing the 2 people from the same side of the argument) have anything to do with the Rams/Pussies rivalry anyway?
It's from a local San Francisco TV station. That's why.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I know why, but that's a cheap shot. Their vag must still be pretty sore from the tie and loss last year. I want nothing more than to bury these fucks and their playoff hopes now.

Thx for posting this X. I needed it lol

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Username said:
I know why, but that's a cheap shot. Their vag must still be pretty sore from the tie and loss last year. I want nothing more to bury these fucks and their playoff hopes now.

Thx for posting this X. I needed it lol
Don't worry. I'm still hunting for more "bulletin board" material.

I gotta get you panzies jacked up for this one. :twisted:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
:tooth:

Oh, you can bet your ass I'll be horse all weekend from this game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Username said:
:tooth:

Oh, you can bet your ass I'll be horse all weekend from this game.
Thats. Mah. Dawg...

RamzFanz

Damnit
The sad part is it's pretty true. Not a lot of love for the Rams here except when the fair weather fans have a reason to come out.

That's part of the reason I'm so pissed about, well, you know my opinion.

I can grab a Cards jersey in any grocery store if I needed to, but the Rams garb is an XS wife beater or a pink jacket with a hole in it. (true story)

My personal experience, as a football fan, is I came here when there was no team. I decided to leave the Aint's behind when I left LA (The REAL LA, Louisiana). My paper sack was worn out and Peyton Manning's dad was long retired.

The Rams came the same year and I was ecstatic! Not that they were any better then the Saints but because I got a new start at a new team in my new home at the same time.

Come 1999 and I would go to work on Sunday and in the breakroom, the Cards would be on. I would plead to watch the Rams and all I got back was a resounding no, we want the Cards. I would argue that they got 9,652 Card games a season and the Rams only played 16. Nope.

Until they started winning and winning big. Suddenly everyone was a football fan wearing Warner and Faulk and Holt and Bruce jerseys on Sunday. I was wearing a Warner jersey that I had ironed on when Green went down in the preseason. Hand to god. Of course, as always with me, it was half joke - half hope. I even had the letters ironed on slightly askew so it was obvious I was poking fun at our bad luck (as in, who is this guy?). Every 15 years I look like a genius.

If I still worked for other people and had to live with 15 minutes in a break room today, no one would watch the Rams. I would sit alone in my Bradford jersey with my iPad and watch.

I asked a Home Depot employee on opening day, while he was ripping sub-floor for my daughter's big room makeover, "you watching the game?" and he says "are they playing today?" and I say "yeah, it's opening day!" (I'm WEARING my Bradford Jersey), and he chuckles and says he thought I meant the Cards, and no, he wasn't watching.

(NOTE - PLEASE stop looking at my bouncy below, we'll get there)

This IS a baseball town and it SHOULD be because it's hard earned. Bush is stunning and the EJ Dome is an aircraft hangar with a domed roof.

I get it and I don't care. The point for me is that when I meet a Rams fan, especially now, I know they are the real deal. We're willing to root when it's a new team in town with little hope or for an entire decade waiting for the reemergence of greatness in whatever form it may come. You don't play 9,652 games a year or trade or grab 2,200 players at will. If you have a very good RB, you are 1 of 6 teams that do and there are no more to grab.

The perfect storm of GSOT only happens once in a lifetime.

Or does it?

One bouncy fer me for being a genuine fan of football and of the RAMS:

(come on - that's funny right thar')

Bouncyhelmet_zps67a277c4.gif

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Good points, and some good opinions too. :bign:

I just can't stand the douchebags that refuse to cheer for the Rams because they act like it's below them in this city. I had a fucking baby faced douche wearing a tucked in polo turn and roll his eyes at me at Busch the other day because I was talking Rams. I can't fucking stand that shit. I'd like to take that pussy to a Blues playoff game in the old barn or Kiel (when it first opened) and watch him piss himself when some drunk hoosier knocks out a Redwings fan in the seat next to him. Sometimes Cardinal fans around here remind me of Patriot fans.

You're right about 99.9% of Rams fans you meet around here now in that they're die frigging hard and real as shit. They pretty much have to be.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Let's suit up Dickerson for the game. It sounds like he wants to win more than the team that showed up last week.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
HE WITH HORNS said:
Let's suit up Dickerson for the game. It sounds like he wants to win more than the team that showed up last week.
Really let it go man let it go

jap

Legend
HE WITH HORNS said:

I used to love to see Eric hit the LOS and see the whole OL and DL surge forward 4-5 yards consistently. And it was almost impossible to tackle him up high once he got his momentum going.

Alrighty now! We got some young RB's who need to take the bull by the horns and run with it. Time for Isaiah and Benny to get rolling. If Zac is healthy, they might sneak him in, at least for short yardage situations.

Somehow, someway, sometime, we gotta free Tavon up to get the ball in space. Let him suck the defense up to stop him, then go over the top to Chris or the Cookie Monster. Isaiah probably has the best hands coming out of the backfield.

The OL needs to atone for last week. After all, it's the damn '9ers! Blow their freaking arses off the ball!!! Let Isaiah break their ankles with his crazy jukes, then let Benny & Zac pile drive 'em all into the turf.

We simply have to defend our home turf at all costs---especially against divisional foes.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
The most relevant thing I got out of that was Patrick Willis isn't playing tonight. Everything else was the usual bullshit.

Who didn't know that other stuff? It's pretty bad in STL for the Rams. When I was there last year for the Packers game, most of the people there thought I was weird for traveling to STL to see the Rams. They were like, "you came here to see the Rams? Nobody cares about the Rams." And most people I met there felt that building a new stadium for the Rams was a total waste. My guess is that none of this is lost on Kroenke. That's has got to play into his unwillingness to commit to staying in STL.

Add to this how the team is performing now and you've got a bigger problem with the Rams being supported in town. Another losing season here and how much support do you think the Rams will get to stay?