Rising stars in the NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=cnn-sports-bin

With the NFL draft behind us and offseason practice sessions about to start across the league, who are the "rising stars" we should focus on heading into the 2015 season?

Here are five players on my list, guys who are in a prime position to become household names in the years to come, based on their skill sets, where they're at in their careers and how they fit into their team's systems.

WR Martavis Bryant, Steelers

Bryant was a legit playmaker for the Steelers in 2014, and I expect even more in his sophomore season working with Ben Roethlisberger. He has the speed and red-zone ability to make the developmental jump.

hi-res-e56d29618bf1c614e2ce175811c2bc34_crop_exact.jpg

Joe Robbins/Getty Images

The former Clemson wide receiver has the frame (6'4", 211 lbs) to earn his money in the red zone on the fade, skinny post or slant, and he can eat up the cushion of a cornerback outside of the numbers on the deep ball. He is a straight-line-speed guy who can flat-out go get it.

Remember, Bryant didn't even dress for the first six games of 2014 and still caught eight touchdown passes while running a limited route tree.

He needs to continue developing his route-running and find a way to consistently win at the top of the route (the break point). That's where he can focus on sinking his hips, creating separation and producing clean angles back to the ball on intermediate cuts.

Yes, the red-zone production and vertical ability is going to impact opposing defensive game plans, but look for Bryant to be even tougher to defend with an entire offseason to advance his route-running and technique.

CB Desmond Trufant, Falcons

If you are looking for a young cornerback who has coverage ability, ball skills and the transition speed to win matchups in the NFL, check out Trufant. He has smooth footwork, the ability to close on a receiver and the vision to drive on the ball.

The tape backs it up when Trufant is playing from an off-man position, walking up to challenge a receiver in a press alignment or staying in-phase (on the hip) at the break. This guy can play.

hi-res-3dcefb88fc94984a28360211b9c82897_crop_exact.jpg

Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

With Dan Quinn taking over in Atlanta and bringing his defensive system from Seattle, Trufant will have more opportunities to win one-on-one matchups outside the numbers in single-high-safety looks. In both man and zone coverages, the third-year pro can lean on his technique and skill set in Quinn's scheme to get hands on the wide receiver at the snap and dictate the flow of his matchup.

Every time the discussion shifts to the cornerback position in this league, it starts with the standard, go-to names: Richard Sherman, Darrelle Revis, Patrick Peterson, Joe Haden, etc. Good football players, right there. Trufant could join that list if he takes the next step under Quinn.

LB Pernell McPhee, Bears

McPhee has already played a lot of NFL football as he enters his fifth pro season, but he earned a spot on this list because he will now take on a full-time role in Chicago as a key piece for Vic Fangio's new 3-4 defensive scheme. That's why general manager Ryan Pace rewarded the former Ravens linebacker in free agency. He's an upgrade, a player who can be used creatively in a Bears uniform.

hi-res-18724eabf4ec5c46fd4f2ac4cf785fd0_crop_exact.jpg

Andrew Weber-USA TODAY Sports

When you watch the tape from 2014 on McPhee, the true versatility to his game stands out. He can play multiple roles for the Bears in both their 3-4 base and nickel packages. That's where McPhee will rush off the edge, play on the interior of the defensive front or line up off the ball. He gives you options as a coordinator to generate matchups while catering to his skill set given the size (6'3", 280 lbs) and athleticism he brings to the table.

McPhee only played 540 snaps during the 2014 regular season in Baltimore, per Pro Football Focus, so we have to project his talent as an every-down player for the Bears. However, the overall production he generated in those snaps is the story here. He can be an impact player under Fangio—one opposing teams have to game plan for.

RB Jeremy Hill, Bengals

I love running backs with pro size, power and the quick burst to accelerate through the second level of the defense. That's what I see with Hill, a second-year running back out of LSU.

At 6'1", 238 pounds, Hill can get downhill on the off-tackle runs and drop his pad level on defenders to run through contact. He can also bounce the ball to the outside, use his vision and produce in the open field.

hi-res-0b6c91c8f5a3d97d52ec93a457a8c4e2_crop_exact.jpg

Jason Miller/Getty Images

Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson is building an offense that leans on the run game to control the tempo. Remember that Cincinnati drafted offensive linemen in the first and second rounds in 2015. The idea is to get bigger, stronger, tougher and feed the ball to Hill as the feature back in this system. The Bengals plan on playing to his strengths as a back who can move the sticks and wear down opposing defenses in the fourth quarter.

There are plenty of opinions on the shelf life of running backs due to the number of hits and collisions these guys experience on Sundays, but Hill has the frame and talent to consistently produce numbers. As a rookie in 2014, he registered 1,124 yards and nine touchdowns on just 222 carries. Keep giving him the ball.

LB Anthony Barr, Vikings

When the Vikings selected Barr at No. 9 overall in the 2014 draft, I was curious to see how he would transition and fit in Minnesota's new defensive scheme. He's a rare athlete, but could he make the jump to the league under Mike Zimmer?

hi-res-556565704c368dfa72e70f436c2d89ec_crop_exact.jpg

Brace Hemmelgarn-USA TODAY Sports

The tape tells the story there: At 6'5" and 255 pounds, Barr has the ability and skill set to get to the quarterback and play the run in the 4-3 front while he's still developing in the sub-packages. Zimmer's ability to teach will be priceless in that regard. Barr should quickly advance his learning curve in this system and become a productive, three-down player who can create issues for opposing teams.

This Vikings defense, though young in key spots, is fast, athletic and still growing as a unit. However, with players like Barr, the upside here is something to watch. He can be a modern-day linebacker who hits the quarterback, defends the run game and makes plays in coverage.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
About Hill? Don't be surprised if Bernard eats into his carries; he's a very talented young back in his own right. Don't be surprised if Hill gets suspended this year; he's had multiple arrests to his name in college. You can't fix stupid.

Bryant doesn't really impress me. He's really raw, and while he put up a lot of production, it helped that Bell rushed for the most yards in the NFL and that Antonio Brown became one of the best and gave him open looks. That won't be the case this year with Bell's suspension and no running game to open up the nine route, which is really all that Bryant is good at in this stage of his career. I fully expect a sophomore slump from him.

McPhee and Kruger are basically the exact kind of free agent. One good year, and everyone's projecting him to take a poor defense to the next level. Kruger didn't with a much better Browns defense. I can't see McPhee doing what he did in Baltimore.

I agree with Barr and Trufant being ranked.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
About Hill? Don't be surprised if Bernard eats into his carries; he's a very talented young back in his own right. Don't be surprised if Hill gets suspended this year; he's had multiple arrests to his name in college. You can't fix stupid.
I know it's still early in both of their careers, but Hill won the starting job towards the end of the season and for good reason. Bernard is a good change of pace back/ 3rd down receiving threat, Sproles or even Benny Cunningham, but Hill looks to be a "bell-cow" type back; the more carries he gets the better. And just because a person gets in trouble in college does not mean it will translate to the pros, if that was the case, we would lose a good portion of our team. And as far as "you can't fix stupid" goes, that is awfully narrow minded, and somewhat insulting.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I know it's still early in both of their careers, but Hill won the starting job towards the end of the season and for good reason. Bernard is a good change of pace back/ 3rd down receiving threat, Sproles or even Benny Cunningham, but Hill looks to be a "bell-cow" type back; the more carries he gets the better. And just because a person gets in trouble in college does not mean it will translate to the pros, if that was the case, we would lose a good portion of our team. And as far as "you can't fix stupid" goes, that is awfully narrow minded, and somewhat insulting.

Can you call this anything other than stupid?

Hill pleaded guilty to having sexual intercourse with an underage girl when he was an 18 year old senior in high school. After the incident, LSU head coach Les Miles still honored his scholarship offer to Hill.

It's one of many arrests this kid has had from high school on. Many. He's an absolute train-wreck off the field. Everyone knows that he's insanely talented, but if you have a problem with me calling him stupid and think that I'm narrow-minded for saying that, then I don't know what to say to you. Hill has problems, and you don't go back from pleading guilty for carnal assault on an underage person (the exact charge he had). Forget stupid; it's sickening.

So call me narrow-minded for thinking that he's going to screw up again. I'm not sorry for saying that. He's not on my team, and while I hope that he doesn't screw up (because that means that someone else got hurt), I'm not going to blindly think that he's a changed man.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
No Donald? Or is that cause he is already a star!!!!! Muahahahaha!!!!

Athos

Legend
Hill pleaded guilty to having sexual intercourse with an underage girl when he was an 18 year old senior in high school. After the incident, LSU head coach Les Miles still honored his scholarship offer to Hill.

Well....kids be having consensual sex younger and younger these days. Not sure if that was coerced or not, but. Kids having sex.......fact a life these days.

That said, he'd be dickless if it was my (future) daughter.

No Donald? Or is that cause he is already a star!!!!! Muahahahaha!!!!

Exactly.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Can you call this anything other than stupid?

It's one of many arrests this kid has had from high school on. Many. He's an absolute train-wreck off the field. Everyone knows that he's insanely talented, but if you have a problem with me calling him stupid and think that I'm narrow-minded for saying that, then I don't know what to say to you. Hill has problems, and you don't go back from pleading guilty for carnal assault on an underage person (the exact charge he had). Forget stupid; it's sickening.

So call me narrow-minded for thinking that he's going to screw up again. I'm not sorry for saying that. He's not on my team, and while I hope that he doesn't screw up (because that means that someone else got hurt), I'm not going to blindly think that he's a changed man.
There is no denying what Hill did is/was wrong. But you said it perfectly, Hill has problems, and it's sickening. Maybe you are right, maybe Hill, or any other football player that has had trouble with the law for that matter, are actually not changed men. Maybe they are a ticking time bomb of malicious intent waiting for the right time to explode. What is narrow minded about your statement is that you use an ignorant generalizing statement to classify a person as broke, stupid, and are incapable of changing or learning from their mistakes.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He was 18? How old was she? If he had so many problems, I would think you could come up with something a little more damning. Hell - I could have been nailed for this one many many times as I was 18 for most of my senior year and not exactly saving it for marriage.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He was 18? How old was she? If he had so many problems, I would think you could come up with something a little more damning. Hell - I could have been nailed for this one many many times as I was 18 for most of my senior year and not exactly saving it for marriage.
No shit. My girlfriend when I was a senior ... was a sophomore.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHrzzdr0J_M

Athos

Legend
No crap. My girlfriend when I was a senior ... was a sophomore.

This ain't no hippie yippie shit anymore though! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just hipster yipster shit. :sneaky:

You best believe I woulda likely gotten lucky with an underage girl back when I was in HS if I wasn't haven't a major injury to recover from nearly every year of HS. :ROFLMAO: Like I said, kids boning younger and younger.

The only real issue is if they ain't wrappin' that shit.

But seriously though....

I was seeing an 18ish year old when I was a senior in college. She was a sophomore is college tho. ;) Damn smart ass. Literally. And figuratively. :eek: About the biggest age difference so far for me.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This ain't no hippie yippie crap anymore though! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just hipster yipster crap. :sneaky:

You best believe I woulda likely gotten lucky with an underage girl back when I was in HS if I wasn't haven't a major injury to recover from nearly every year of HS. :ROFLMAO: Like I said, kids boning younger and younger.

The only real issue is if they ain't wrappin' that crap.

But seriously though....
I was seeing an 18ish year old when I was a senior in college. She was a sophomore is college tho. ;) Damn smart ass. Literally. And figuratively. :eek: About the biggest age difference so far for me.
Hippie? That was 1984, son!

lol. The 80's were so gay.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnHm4ro_l8s

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Well....kids be having consensual sex younger and younger these days. Not sure if that was coerced or not, but. Kids having sex.......fact a life these days.

That said, he'd be dickless if it was my (future) daughter.

Exactly.
If it was my daughter he would be "never seen again" if you know what I mean.

WvuIN02

Starter
Bryant has the talent to blow up this year. He AND Marcus Wheaton both came on last year, the Steelers OL is even better, and Bell is only out a few games. They will be fine with Antonio Brown taking the pressure off him. Unlike Schotty, Haley knows how to use his receivers....especially when the guys underneath have to worry about a RB who caught over 80 balls last year.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I really liked Bryant after the combine...bunch of guys said he was too raw ans the last thing we needed was another "raw" wr....

Anthony Barr is a beast...and a good kid too.